Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frames holding up?

Frames holding up?

now that they've been out for a bit and people have been putting time into them, do the frames seem to be holding up for people?

My uncle (in-law?) owns the Can-Am dealership around here, so i may be able to get a good deal on a DS450. After i get out of the army i'd be interested in getting a new quad of some sort. So i'm just looking at the options out there now.

How are those DS450's holding up?

I havent heard of any frame issues.
    There were some early on comments about one snapping at a MX track, but there hs been no comfirmation of that. IMHO it was your typical they knew a friend who knew a friend who knew a friend who pulled the comment out of their butt.

Probably wont see to many issues w/ the frame. BRP also owns Leer Jet. They know how to make good aluminum frames.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

Exclamation rear axle

rear axle bent after first ride ( 45mins ) and i'm really discouraged
    shanester

08 ds450
    02 660 raptor
    07 raptor 700se
    05 yfz450
    05 artic cat 650 h1
    06 artic cat 700 efi
    01 recon 250

I haven't had any issues even landing in the flats on a 50 footer. I'm looking forward to racing it this year....
    http://teambigotires.com/

DS450
    Flexx bars
    BRP Nerfs
    BRP Heel baskets
    Motoworks Exhaust
    Motoworks Oil-less airfilter
    Motoworks FMI
    Fox Float Evol
    Fox Podium X
    Epic A-arms
    LoneStar Gun Drilled rear axle
    Holz Steering stem

Frames are not snapping nor cracking. I'd love to see someone prove me wrong though.
    www.quadfreestyle.com Your number one site on the web for Quad Freestyle Motocross, featuring ATV Motocross news, ATV freestyle news, forums and blogs!

Graphic Marketing Coordinator
    HPI Racing

You didn't mention bending

And why would you love the DS450 Frames to be weak?

The way the aluminum is manufactured, it is not likley to bend. It's similar to extruded aluminum sections. I would imagine it would flex to a certian threshhold then simply snap or crack like he said, if it did. But that would take a massive hit to do so.

We have heard a lot of people making assumptions about the frames breaking, but have had nothing with any level of substance. I think it was more of a challenge than a wish.

If you do see failures the first ones will most likley be from folks who powder coat their frames. The heat of the curing process can cause the aluminum to loose its some of it's strength.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

Originally posted by bwamos

If you do see failures the first ones will most likley be from folks who powder coat their frames. The heat of the curing process can cause the aluminum to loose its some of it's strength.
    350 degrees is the mark for curing the DS frame components and there are powders that will cure at that temp. I would be more concerned with removal of the factory coating as a burn off cycle would be way to hot and simply blasting would have more of an effect on the aluminum then the cure cycle would.

and its metal, it will and can break.
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

So Pappy, you can powder coat the DS frames without trouble? It'll stay strong?

According to my info yes, as long as the curing parameters are met. I dont see why anyone would want to right now knowing there could be issues that may develop as these machines get out into the market and doing anything to them could void any warranty etc at this point.

You have to realize that the actual curing time at 350 degrees is for roughly 9 -12 minutes. Even on T6061 this is not going to affect the structural integrity of the metal. Test show that it would take over 24 hours at 425 degrees to change the properties of T6061 (Common for a majority of milled aluminum parts used for atv, bike and auto applications) And even at the 24 hour mark, the experts stated it would not be enough of a change to affect the metals strength.

I personally wont coat any until i get the details behind what the frame is actually made of so I can research what effects can be expected during a cure cycle or during prep....just because I am a sissy and dont feel like being the first to jack one up
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast