Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Better Holeshot

Need a Better Holeshot

I wanted to know how you guys go about practicing holeshots ? and any pointers would be great, i need to get them down for next years racing

Talking

Well if you have a practice gate at your house and have a friend or two, just keep trying on diffirent techniques! That is what me and my friend done,Fast250EX!

the best way is to have someone flag u to go or like bad_230 said get a gate and have someone drop it for u. the more people u have practicin the better that way u can feel how u do against others. ive seen small sets of gates for sale from somewhere, but cant remember where.
    2000 426ex; wb cam, HMF full system w/ shortened silencer, FCR41 carb, custom axis shocks, etc.. for complete list check out my website

I want to thank my Sponsors, Speed Freaks, On The Edge Honda, Wiseco, Scott goggles, Houser racing, and Carb Parts Warehouse

start in 2nd gear, CONCENTRATE!
    HAD: 400EX
    RIGHT NOW: haha XR 50 WAIT UP GUYS!!! lol

Start in second gear? Why would you start in second. I always run threw 1st gear first?
    08 YFZ450- Pro- Amor Skid Plates/Nerfs, AC Bumper, Maxxis Razr II's, Cam Mod, Spark Arrestor Removed, Boyesen Quickshot plate, Uni Filter.
    96 Arctic Cat EXT580
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RPDXC

I've been starting in first but I'm going to pratice starting in 2nd. I can't keep the front wheels down in first. Starting in 2nd also prevents you from accidently shiffting to nuetral.
    Jerry

Quadless again!!!!

Well you want to state in 1st gear on hard packed tracks, in sand or mud you want to start in 2nd gear.:devil
    02 300ex dg nerfs bar, rear grab bar, dg full exshuat, k&n air filter and jet kit, twist throttle, msr handle bars, 1.5 spacers in the front, works shock in the front, dg front bumper. 20 in rear wheels. bore .010 over

so if i start in 2nd should i rev it higher so i don't stall ?

Bean is offline I am the "infamous" 440..
    for a 400, i would almost always start in first, unless the track is ungodly tacky, it has to much tork off the line and will bring the front end up which = lets off gas
    AIM IM: HybridMonster21@aol.com
    Email: HybridMonster2@aol.com

District 18, # 5

http://www.merrellextreme.com
    http://www.rathracing.com
    http://www.wildhare.cjb.net
    http://www.Rriders.com

1986/88/89/03 250R

start in 2nd

I dragged a stock 400ex when mine was stock and he always started in 1st and I always started in 2nd. I always came out ahead. I never use 1st gear, by the time you you let out your shifting to 2nd right away or your either popping a wheelie or spinning way to much. 2nd gear is much more predictable off the line and faster. Also before the gate drops make sure your clutch is starting to drag but not so much that you move so you don't have to move your hand as much and your able to feather the clutch a little off the line instead of dropping it. I've always been told to watch the little pin that holds the gate up but i've had much better luck watching the very top of the gate and when it flinches is when I let go of the clutch.

Oh and another thing, try not to stage to far on the outsides of the gates because its easy to be pushed off the track as you reach the first corner. I try to stage on the middle to inside or right by the box so that I have some extra room and don't have to worry about rubbing other quads as much and I can just hold it pinned. If you in front and you know the other guys are behind you try to cut to the inside to block them off.

The track I ride at has lights and gates and the lights go off about a second before the gates drop so is what I do is back up all the way to the railroad ties which left me about 2 or 3 feet beind the gate so when the white light came on I could get a head start onto the gate. The thing is though is I didn't fully let out the clutch but just enough so that I was starting to move forward and by the time the gate flinched is when I fully let it out.

ah, holeshots are my favorite part of the race. I can't wait tell I can race again.
    Dustin Hofert #17

riding pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast