Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polaris youth quad question

Question Polaris or other youth quads

I'm thinking about getting my kids a polaris scrambler 90.Has anyone gotten one of these yet and what do you think?It's kind of hard to get an honest and non-biased answer out of a salesman.I'm concerned about dependability,maintenance,and ease of operation.I need a quad with electric start and auto tranny is the reason I'm looking at the polaris.Thanks for the input.

Polaris youth quad

I would not get the scrambler your kid will outgrow it rather quick. If you are looking for a youth get the sportman. Reasons why is its tire size and ground clearance. the sportman has 19 size tire all the way around and the scrambler has 17 and 18. no ground clearance.

I just bought my eight year old a artic cat 90. Looks like the scrambler, but has 19 almost 20 inch tires cost is 1995.00 The artic cat 90 is new this year and they are hard to find. Has lots more upgrades then the Polaris.
    Go to www.articcat.com and check it out.

I searched for a while before I purchased one, because I wanted something that will take my kid up to 14 to 15 .
    steve

I think kids should have to buy thier parents quads!

No problems with the arctic cat?I didn't even think to look at their quad lineup.I may have to stop in at my dealer to see if they even have one in stock ,thanks.Anybody else have any suggestions or preferances towards youth quads?

in this forum

the raptor jr.
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

I prefer the suzuki lt-80. they are bulletproof little machines. we have 2 of them.

here is why I don't like the polaris.........it has the SAME engine as the aeon 90 and the other new imports. the carb & airbox is located just behind the left front tire. not a great place for keeping the fuel:water ratio to a minimum.

take a hard look at the little suzuki..........it even has a foot brake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

We got a Sundiro Ridge Runner 90 ( www.eoexpress.com)

The engine and frame are the same on most of the 2-stroke mini's including the polaris, eton, t-rex, and others.

The major difference being the plastic and accessories. Some have different rear brakes and shocks. I've learned this by buying parts for the Sundiro at a local E-ton & T-Rex dealer.

First of all, The engine has plenty of power. and so far has run just fine. I have the throttle screw set to limit some of the power and in our trails, no additional power is needed.

My boys, 8 & 11, learned to ride on our 250ex (in second gear/ my automatic). They became use to the predictable handling and suspension of the Honda. When first riding the Mini, the "handling" was much more of a chore. The single A-arm and limited travel shocks are no match for a real quad.

When I visited a local Suzuki/Polaris Dealer to check out the scrambler 90, The saleswoman steered me to a Bayou 220 for a slightly higher cost. With Tax, delivery & dealer prep, The polaris can get expensive and a discounted Kawasaki made sense.

At $1,499 new, delivered, no tax, the Sundiro fit our price. I'm glad I didn't pay $2,200 for it. The Bayou, out the door for under $2800 would have been a better deal.

The quality is no match for a honda either. Owning a 250ex, I'm not use to maintaining a chain or an exposed disk brake. The handle bars were loose and I needed to grind down the brackets to tighten them. An easy kiss on a tree caused replacement of the A-arm and air filter box. and it's a 2-stroke so it smokes and smells when following it.

My 11 year old can follow me almost anywhere with that mini. and when we switch, It can haul my 200lb+ body with no problem.

Overall we like having a second quad. We get to our track with out walking, long father son rides are enjoying and next year my elder son will be old enough to take a safety class (isn't that a joke).

Good luck with your choice

PS, A good comparison of 50cc quads can be found at http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/50/chasis.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bakerboyz; 11-05-2001 at 08:29 PM.
    2001 250EX
    1998 300EX

my neighbor is thinkin of gettin his son a mini- i would love to recommend the trx 90 to him, but with a recoil starter im not gonna. but his son is pretty small, im thinkin E-ton 50. but yeah i would reccomend the yamaha 80 to you... it has everything you should need, the boy will go woowwwwwwww it looks bad!!!!!!!!
    2001 Red 400ex, white brothers E-series slip on, Razr 2 rears, raz'r fronts, 155 jetting, renthals, shockwears, k&n filter, graydon proline nerf bars, graydon proline front bumper,

350 Rancher ES

97 Tacoma - 6cyl, 3.5" fabtech lift, 33's

85 4runner - 8" lift, 38.5" Swamper SX's, 9,000 lb Winch, gears, locked front and rear

2002 articcat 90 auto not changing gears

Hey guys one month old 90 articcat 90 not changing gears winding but does not auto shift.. Back to the dealer in the morning. Stick with name brand thought I would never have this problem.
    Any suggestions as to what the problem might be please feel free to reply

Re: 2002 articcat 90 auto not changing gears

Originally posted by stevenjeff
    Hey guys one month old 90 articcat 90 not changing gears winding but does not auto shift.. Back to the dealer in the morning. Stick with name brand thought I would never have this problem.
    Any suggestions as to what the problem might be please feel free to reply
    so is this artic cat 90 supposed to shift like the auto tranny in a rubicon, or in a car?

the other automatic minis on the market just rev like a snowmobile........gradually gaining speed without actually shifting.
    is your transmission slipping?

please educate me
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast