Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: predator/outlaw 500 carb questions

predator/outlaw 500 carb questions

just bought an 06 outlaw 500. It has a supertrapp slip-on muffler on it, the lid on the airbox removed, and had been re-jetted, but was not jetted very well. So, I did some further re-jetting (took the 162.5 out and went to a 150) because when I bought the quad it was running way too rich.

On a ride we took these past few days the quad runs really strong on flat ground, but when climbing steeper hills and after letting out of the gas on hard runs, it wants to sputter out and die. Is this likely a float issue?

Also with the above listed mods can someone point me in the direction where I should be on jets, needle adjustment, etc? I'm wanting to buy a kit and go through the whole carb since I don't really know where everything is at from the previous owner, but I'd like to have an idea on where to go with all the adjustments after the rebuild instead of going all the way back to stock and starting over.

OR...is the edelbrock carb (or some other carb) a worthwhile purchase?

Thanks for the input

150 is to lean IMO.....depending on elevation I would shoot for the 170 jet. 170-175 seems to be the right range for the pred side of the house running exhaust and open airbox.
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

with the 170 jet what setup should I be looking at for the needle?

I assumed the 162.5 that it had when I bought it was too big because the plug was fuel fouled, but it might be a needle/seat problem causing that issue?

It would be nice to know the whole setup on the carb that the predator 500 guys are using with exhaust and open airbox so I could just setup to that point and adjust from there.

Thanks for your help

I think (off the top of my head), Im running 172.5 3rd clip with full exhaust and rath intake (open k&n cone). Being colder now I know I'm rich but Im also at sea level. I dont know the elevation on yours. The pred comes stock with 150 and with just a slip on you could get away with a 155 but the open airbox brings alot to the table and you need to jump up to accomodate for that.
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

ok, I'll give those settings a shot this weekend and see what I get.

I'm in an area that is about 1400 feet elevation if that gives you any useful information.

thanks again for your help!

My guess would put it around a 157.5....
    03' Predator, WB Pipe, Twin Air Clamp On, Nicholas Cycle Race Modified Carb, Niicholas Cycle Race Port and Flowed Head, Wiseco 12.5:1 piston, PMR Rear Bumper, HPD Front Bumper, Gunner Tether Cord, Rath Racing Vicous Pegs, Rath Racing headlight covers, Rath Chromoly Fender Brackets, HPD steering dampener, JetBlast air scoops, HPD triple rate springs, Fox rezzies, Lightened 30lbs, Lowered 2 Inches, 2-25 fin inline coolers.

AFTER JETTING DIFFERENT PREDATORS MANY TIMES WITH A PIPE AND CLAMP ON FILTER I HAVE COME UP WITH THIS FOR GREAT JETTING. 175 MAIN JET, CLIP ON THE 4TH NOTCH FROM THE TOP OF THE NEEDLE, 3 TURNS OUT ON THE AIR FUEL SCREW, 45 PILOT JET AND YES DYNO JET NEEDLES AND JETS MAKE MORE POWER

this is with a clamp on filter like a k&n depending on what you are running this may be a bit rich. if you get yourself a k&n i would start in this neighbor hood. i hope this helps. leo
    I LOVE TO RIDE ALL BRAND QUADS I HAVE OWNED 12 DIFFERENT QUADS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS. INCLUDING HONDA, YAMAHA, POLARIS, AND SUZUKI IF I TAKE THE TIME TO LIST ONE IT WILL BE SOLD BEFORE I AM DONE. I WILL JUST SAY I LOVE TO WRENCH AND RIDE.

I've got a dynojet jet kit coming in the mail. I believe it comes with various needles too...which one should I start with?

Thanks for the input

editted to add:

I do have a clamp on K&N filter (conical type) with no airbox lid, and the slip on supertrapp. Most likely will buy a complete HMF kit here in a month or so.

as far as i know the dyno jet kit for the fuji 500 engine, only comes with one needle. i have bought 3 of them all sold by different companies but all were the same kit from dynojet. it has a very aggressive taper to the needle and 6 notches instead of 5 like the stock one. the hmf is a very popular pipe and for a good reason. out of all the pipes i tried on the predator it was my favorite. i have a super trapp full exhaust on my 440 ex right now and it is also a great system.

06 outlaw carb jetting

HOPE YOU RECEIVED MY EMAIL? IN ANY EVENT TRY THIS, IF YOU HAVE ACLAMP ON K&N FILTER AND SHOCK WITH THE AIR BOX LID REMOVED AND A SUPERTRAPP SLIP-ON UNIVERSAL HOW MANY DISC'S. THE STOCK SETTING ON MY MODIFIED 06OUTLAW 500 WAS 37.5 PILOT JET, POLIT SCREW 1 3/4-2 1/4 TURNS OUT. AND NEEDLE CLIP IN THE 3 POSITION AND MAIN JET 145 IF THE INTAKE IS BREATHING GOOD AND THE EXHAUST IS FLOWING WELL THROUGH THE SUPERTRAPP YOU MAY NEED TO GO TO A 42.5 POLIT JET AND THE POLIT SCREW SET TO 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 THERE IS A PLUG IN FRONT OF THE SCREW BE CAREFULL WHEN YOU DRILL THAT OUT NOT TO GO TO FAR. AND THEN CHANGE THE MAIN JET TO 170 AND RUN A COLDER PLUG A 9 INSTEAD OF AN 8 NGK PLUG THAT IS. I THINK THE NEEDLE POSTION SHOULD BE FINE . THE OUTLAW 06 500 HAS A FUEL PUMP YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT THAT , BUT IF THE PERVIOUS OWNER S CARB WORK WAS A LITTLE SHAKEY , THE TABS ON THE FLOATS MIGHT BE A LITTLE BENT FROM THE BOWL REMOVEL. THAT COULD EXPLAIN THE CUT OUT ON HILL CLIMB, OR DIRTY FUEL FILTER . iF YOU LIKE I HAVE SHOP MANUAL AND SOME OF SAME MODES AND MORE, I CAN PASS ALONG INFO ON THE BIKE . GOOD LUCK. I think the the irs platform is a great rough trail bike smooth ride plenty of power when it's running right .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast