Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000.00 to rebuild engine?

1000.00 to rebuild engine?

got an 86 trx250r..bike has been fouling a bunch of plugs lately...brought my bike to the shop today, I was riding and it died abruptly, no noises or sounds..kick starter wouldnt kick anymore and was stuck...this plug was brand NEW 4 minutes earlier... Anyway, he said the crank went, pieces of piston all over the place and in my pipe...He said it would cost roughly 1000.00 with labor to rebuild the whole motor for me...Does this sound reasonable? I am not handy at all and cannot work on my bike. Dont know anything about engines, he is going to price a few bolt on kits like esr etc and get back to me in a few days with options for me. He said he wants to rebuild it for me and would beat anyones price. I mostly ride trails, no racing or anything... WHat do you think about the price so far, is it fair?
    thanks

depends what it needs and how much it destoryed. A new crank, crank bearings, bore, piston and gaskets, plus the rebuild will run you around $600. So depending on what he seen in the motor, it could be very reasonable.
    85/86 atc 250r, very modded, lrd 310pv, +1 lsr, shortrack kit, cr250r igntion, 39 pwk, paul turner hi-rev pipe, propeg nerf bars, HREATV custom frame,
    86 atc200x- 84 250r exteneded axle, supertrapp pipe, 27mm carb, works rear shock, 84 250r front end(rebuilt w/ terry kit), 350x tripples, ported head, 12:1 piston, webcam,
    crf450r quad, lsr frame, swinger, antifade, hyper beadlocks and the best of everything else.
    88 trx 250r pced and reinforced frame, +3+0 t-pin, 310pv, cr ignition, 39 pwk, lsr rear end, elka shocks, aftermarket radiator, lrd pipe
    06 ktm450exc, full skid plate/guards, radiator fan, clarke tank, dual sport kit, reg/ins/insp, steering stabilzer
    98 200exc: street plated, skid/guards, dual sport lights, stabilizer and more.
    07 ktm 250xc, skids, reg/ins, dampener, good lights
    2011 atc450r in the works, suspension and details need to be worked out

600 with labor or 600 on parts?

well a crank is $250, bearings are ~$20 each, then seals, piston is ~$100, bore ~$50 and dismantle and reassemble will be ~$300.
    85/86 atc 250r, very modded, lrd 310pv, +1 lsr, shortrack kit, cr250r igntion, 39 pwk, paul turner hi-rev pipe, propeg nerf bars, HREATV custom frame,
    86 atc200x- 84 250r exteneded axle, supertrapp pipe, 27mm carb, works rear shock, 84 250r front end(rebuilt w/ terry kit), 350x tripples, ported head, 12:1 piston, webcam,
    crf450r quad, lsr frame, swinger, antifade, hyper beadlocks and the best of everything else.
    88 trx 250r pced and reinforced frame, +3+0 t-pin, 310pv, cr ignition, 39 pwk, lsr rear end, elka shocks, aftermarket radiator, lrd pipe
    06 ktm450exc, full skid plate/guards, radiator fan, clarke tank, dual sport kit, reg/ins/insp, steering stabilzer
    98 200exc: street plated, skid/guards, dual sport lights, stabilizer and more.
    07 ktm 250xc, skids, reg/ins, dampener, good lights
    2011 atc450r in the works, suspension and details need to be worked out

I'd say if you don't know how to do it, then it's very reasonable.

Seriously though, if he does a good job, takes the time to inspect everything, and replaces parts that need it, then $1000 is probably fair. See if he'll include jetting it with that price.
    Tony

Arens Axis XC 310R

Considering the price of the parts,coolant ,oil, and that im sure he is removing the motor from the frame too!
    Id say 1000 bux is pretty fair.

I can do all the top end stuff myself but when it comes to splittin cases i usually farm it out!
    The last time i had cases split and new crank installed i paid close to 350 bux just for that! and that was prolly 10 years ago !!!lol

I bet you could have shaved a few hundred off just bringing him the motor!
    HONDA No Wing no prayer!!!

i'd say thats a pretty reasonable price. but, thats why i build all my own engines. i just finished building my 2nd MX 250r from the ground up, including motor and fired it up for the first time today since i'm back from college for a few days. runs great, and cost me no money for labor, just time. hah.
    250r:
    -Elka Quad Rate long travel shocks
    -Houser +3 long travel a-arms
    -Bills midrange pipe and silencer
    -265cc MX ported long rod motor
    -38mm Keihin AS carb
    -450r rear swingarm
    -banshee rear shock
    -AC pro peg nerfs
    -Fluidyne oversized aluminum radiator
    -QT carbon fiber radiator scoops
    -Duncan racing bumper
    -Durablue +4 adj axle
    -Antifade locknut
    -Herrmann dual row carrier

just buy a new motor. u can probley find a motor all worked up.

I agree with Chillins.....it is cheaper to buy a motor from ebay. Ive seen Pro-X motors go for less than 1000 and you could put your blown up motor on there and get $200 for it probably. Thats the way Id go.

$1000 isn't too bad.

Just the LABOR to tear it down and put it back together is going to run $300 minimum (it could run significantly higher, depending on how much time he takes inspecting internal components).

The BASIC parts for rebuilding will run about $150. This includes bearings, seals, and gaskets.

Okay, so right away we are looking at $450, and that's before we've even replaced the bad components. That's just tear down and reassembly.

$250 for a new crank brings you to $600.

Add $100 for a new piston, and $50 for a bore/hone, that brings you to $750.

Right now, you are looking at $750, and wondering if you're getting ripped off for the other $250. Remember, the price list above is just a bare minimum, and it's only a rough guess. A new crank might be $260, a piston might be $120, ect ect. And tax on top of them.

Plus, nothing like this EVER goes easily and smoothly. A siezed bolt that needs to be replaced, new shift fork, all these things are very real and very possible, and they add cost. These motors are 20 years old, nothing comes apart and goes back together perfectly. There is also an additional charge to take it in and out of the frame.

If you bothered to read the entire post, you'll see that $1000 is fairly reasonable. It's not a great price, but it certainly isn't a bad price.

Last time I sent a motor to a shop, it cost me $3000, and it RAN before I sent it in.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast