Thread: What transmission oil is best for cold weather?

What transmission oil is best for cold weather?

I have a 450r and want to know what are the best oil brands to use for cold weather and thier wieghts. I usally use the Honda Trans Oil (the red bottle stuff).

2008 T-Rex450r... with some goodies!

well it doesnt really matter. just dont run a low weight fully synthetic cause it will freeze. use a higher weight like 10w-30 instead of 5w30 stay with honda oil if you want.
    2005 Honda 450R - A-Arms +2.5+1, +1.25 Swingarm w/ DC6 Linkage, Elka Shocks,+3 Axle, Houser Steering Stem w/ AntiVibe Clamp, ITP Holeshots FR & RR, Sparks Exhaust, 11.5:1 Piston, Uni Filter Kit, HRC Kit
    Sponsors: Shakedown Street Gaming

Originally posted by bloodmoney23
    well it doesnt really matter. just dont run a low weight fully synthetic cause it will freeze. use a higher weight like 10w-30 instead of 5w30 stay with honda oil if you want.

wtf? since when does ANY oil freeze?

And why would he go for a higher weight oil in the winter? If anything he'd go lower for cold weather.
    Also, once the bike is warmed up 10w-30 and 5w-30 will act exactly the same in the clutches, both 30weight.

reptikes, the red bottle honda oil will work fine all the way through the winter.
    05 450r
    Motowoz LT F&R / SMC +3 / Elka Pro Dual Link / RPM / Flexx / Rath / Douglas
    DRG Head / Ferrea +1x4 / CP 12:1 / 05 HRC Cam / HR +3 Balanced&Welded / DRG 43.5 FCR / DASA Classic

Originally posted by d3ktrix
    wtf? since when does ANY oil freeze?

And why would he go for a higher weight oil in the winter? If anything he'd go lower for cold weather.
    Also, once the bike is warmed up 10w-30 and 5w-30 will act exactly the same in the clutches, both 30weight.

reptikes, the red bottle honda oil will work fine all the way through the winter.
    Thank You.

I use the same oil year round. GN4 or HP4 Honda oils are a good choice.
    2007 TRX450r (stock)

2001 Baja Hammer 454mpi, my other toy( FOR SALE)

d3ktrix, Thanks

2008 T-Rex450r... with some goodies!

Originally posted by reptikes
    d3ktrix, Thanks
    NP =)
    05 450r
    Motowoz LT F&R / SMC +3 / Elka Pro Dual Link / RPM / Flexx / Rath / Douglas
    DRG Head / Ferrea +1x4 / CP 12:1 / 05 HRC Cam / HR +3 Balanced&Welded / DRG 43.5 FCR / DASA Classic

im not dumb but d3k ive had on off day.....im sick and half asleep when i wrote half the stuff i wrote today as u can see you have corrected me several times today. my minds backwards. But when does oil freeze........I wish i still had the picture cause I didnt believe it either. About 5 years back my brothers entire crankcase froze on his 95 yamaha blaster when he used synthetic oil. I dont know what the temp was but they had to put bike in front of kerosene heater for 20 min before the kickstart gear would even budge. If you want to claim bs on it then go ahead i would have too.
    2005 Honda 450R - A-Arms +2.5+1, +1.25 Swingarm w/ DC6 Linkage, Elka Shocks,+3 Axle, Houser Steering Stem w/ AntiVibe Clamp, ITP Holeshots FR & RR, Sparks Exhaust, 11.5:1 Piston, Uni Filter Kit, HRC Kit
    Sponsors: Shakedown Street Gaming