Thread: chain gunk

chain gunk

What is the best solvent to use to get the gunky "Wax" build up off my chain without messing up my o-rings. I used a small wire brush on the sprocket but I dont want to damage the chain. I thought of WD-40 but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

I just run my chain through the washing machine and use a little bounce with it in the dryer.

Thanks but I think Im looking for some advise I can use.

Use Wd-40 and scrub hard with a rag.
    Also what are you using for chain lube?
    I'm using maxima chain wax and its works great. I'd recomend it to anyone.
    2007 can am outlander 800

Yep, Im using the same stuff... Maxima Chain Wax. I clean my quad after every ride and it always looks "almost" like new, for the exception of the dang chain and sprocket. I'll try some WD-40 on it this weekend after I ride. Thanks!

I use Maxima Chain Lube and love it too. It's a great lube for the chain and doesn't leave that waxy look.
    '00 400ex Black Shockwears AC Pro Peg Nerfs Nac's head light guards K&N filter
    John.S.

YUP ME TOO! ITS GOOD STUFF! CLEAN WITH RAG AND WD40 FIRST.
    2001 Yellow 400 EX Loaded - SOLD

2003 Yellow LTZ 400 Loaded

2005 Green KFX 700 Semi Loaded

Don't know if this is good for the chain but mines been running allright. If you have those tiki torches, they come with some kind of kerosene fluid. Anyways I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed the chain with it. Then took a brush and all the baked on black crap came off with ease. Looks brand new. I just made sure I got it all off because the kerosene repels grease or lube. So then after that I lubed it up real real good.
    - #48 2004 BLUE YFZ 450 -
    One Industries - AC nerfs - Ac Full Skid - AC Bumper - Pro Design Kill Switch - Shockpro shockcovers - PEP Chain relocator - Bullet Parking block off - Motion Pro Twist Throtle - Cam Mod -

Jetting 170 main - 48 pilot - stock needle 5th clip - fuel screw 2 and 3/4 turns - runs awesome

I use kerosene and a soft scrub brush. Kerosene will not harm the o rings and gets the wax build up off. Be sure to let the kerosene dry completely before reapplying the chain wax.
    2001 400ex, Pro Circuit T-4, AC Racing Pro Pegs, Renthal Bars, Trail tech speedo w/ billet mount, Pro Armor Skid plates

2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy - the perfect fusion of chrome and leather!!!

Magnum Photos