Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics, I need help!! (F150 rear axle)

Mechanics, I need help!! (F150 rear axle)

My differential is shot. I know that I can't rebuild it myself, I don't have the tools or knowledge. And a shop is expensive.

But, replacing the entire rear axle is certainly within my capabilities, and from a junkyard, it's only about 1/3 the cost of having a shop rebuild my diff.

My question is compatability. My rear axle code is H9 (from the door jam), which is a limited slip 3.55 gearing. What kind of other axles will swap? Is there a certain axle code I'm looking for, or any basic rear end with the same axle type? Should I be looking for a code on the axle itself, rather than the door jam?

Other than the basic risk of any used parts, what other issues do I need to look for? Any tips, tricks?

I found an H9 axle, but the driveshaft mount is different, is this a deal-breaker or does it have an easy remedy?

From underneath, it looks like a few U-bolts, brakelines, shocks, and it's done. Is it really this simple, or am I missing something?
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

Sorry to go kind of off topic.

But did you ever get a loud, humming noise ?
    Honda TRX300EX
    Honda Recon 250 ~ Sold
    Honda Rancher 350
    Built Ford Tough

Other than making sure that you have all the proper hoses, clamps, bolts, nuts etc. you'll need to make sure its centered, make sure the spring pads are the same width.

Its not an overly difficult process. And neither is rebuilding a differential. Just google it, or look into an offroading website and ask for help from someone there.
    '79 F100-Drag truck
    '92 Dodge D350, 12V cummins-Daily Driver

Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
    Get a few buddies to buy some and have "metro racing"
    --Epic WIN!

Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
    Yeah, sort of.

But my humming noise sounded like it was coming from the transmission, not the rear axle.

Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
    Sorry to go kind of off topic.

That either bearings or your low on gear oil.

We get that alot in our Samurai...its usually bearings or fluid...
    '79 F100-Drag truck
    '92 Dodge D350, 12V cummins-Daily Driver

Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
    Get a few buddies to buy some and have "metro racing"
    --Epic WIN!

Originally posted by wilkin250r
    Yeah, sort of.

But my humming noise sounded like it was coming from the transmission, not the rear axle.
    Yea, mine makes a humming noise, I am getting my rear end rebuilt. I have a 97 F-150 with the limited slip.

I know the engine is good but if it's in a lower gear and i step on it and say the RPM's get around 4k and it shifts something kind of squeals, I figured that might be the trans. It's kind of hard to explain, But I know how to avoid that so I usually don't do it.
    Honda TRX300EX
    Honda Recon 250 ~ Sold
    Honda Rancher 350
    Built Ford Tough

wilkin, pulling the diff and installing or rebuilding it is gravy, much less labor then changing out the entire rear!

you can do it easily!!!
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

pop of the case and see if u can identify any problems
    '07 250ex
    20 inch razr tires
    ITP C-series sport wheel

'03 kawasaki bayou 250- Cleaned up
    '04 yamaha breeze-sisters

Wilkin,if the problem in the differential is just some bad bearings(most common) you would be farther ahead to just fix the rear you have.You can dissasemble the rear yourself with normal hand tools and just take the carrier and pinion to a shop to have the bearings pressed.If it is a problem with the actual ring and/or pinion gears and they need replaced then it gets a little more technical as you need to check and set pinion depth,backlash,etc.. which is done via shims.Given the knowledge you have I am sure you can do it.Differential work is pretty straight forward compared to most mechanical work on newer vehicles.

Originally posted by Pappy
    wilkin, pulling the diff and installing or rebuilding it is gravy, much less labor then changing out the entire rear!

you can do it easily!!!
    When I say "differential", it's not just the diff. assembly itself, it's the entire axle assembly, including the ring/pinion and axle shafts.

I could do it, yes. But I don't want to, and I don't really have the tools.

I don't have an inch-lb torque wrench to measure the pinion bearing preload, I don't have a proper press to install the new bearings. Likewise, I have a 3/8 torque wrench capable of about 150 ft-lbs, easily enough for any motorcycle engine work. But I would need a much larger one, at least 1/2 inch and 250lbs, to install the pinion nut.

Now, I could buy a torque wrench, and any shop could press my bearings on, so that's not the only obstacle.

With as many metal shavings I'm seeing coming off the magnetic fill plug, I'm sure I need to either replace my ring/pinion set at $200, or my differential at twice that price. Heck, it might be both, running me about $600 in parts. Not to mention the TIME it takes to order those things.

If I can find a suitable axle at the El-Cheapo junkyard here in town, it will run me about $65, and add another $50 in misc. like brake pads and fluid change, and I'm up and running in two days.

Yeah, I'd like to go the proper route and rebuild it, but it's the off-season at work (so my funds are extremely low), and time is tight. With all these factors in mind, I'd rather just undo a few U-bolts, drop the axle, and slap a new one on. I'll keep the original and rebuild it when time and funds make it more convenient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast