Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st ride analysis(KTM 525)

1st ride analysis(KTM 525)

I have been racing mx for 2 years on full blown honda trx 450's. Every modification imaginable on both bikes. I just purchased a KTM 525 (couldn't resist) and took it out to The Landing Mx in Maryland for break-in period. After 2 laps, I just had to hit the jumps (moderate to pretty large doubles and table tops). The gearing was short and tight together but once I introduced myself to 4th out of the corners, the jumps were a breeze. On my Hondas, 13 / 39 gearing, I would corner in 3rd and will have to clutch it for days to hit big jumps. On the KTM, I would corner in 4th barely cluthing and pin it and could hit any jump out there and still had alot more to pull down the straights. My hondas have a tendency to bogg if I'm in a higher cornering. Not on the KTM, no bogg period in 4th gear. On my attempt to hit a long double(before I meet Mr. 4th gear), my rear tires clipped the landing and I flew over the bars and my bike went cart wheeling about 5 -6 times into a sediment pond about waist high. We pulled the bike out of the water and to my suprise the bike started without hesitation. The FRAME and every other component held up with no breaks, bends or dings. I did put some fastt flex handle bars on and some razz mx (18" rear and 19" front) on 3/2 offset hipers. Also used spacers on rear. KTM did not feel tippy at all. I set my suspension half in the front and rear. I love the KTM and plan to race my pretty much stock bike at Budds Creek in 2 weeks against full blown MX quads rather than my Hondas. I'll let you know how I did.

sounds awesome
    Blaine Kaiser #426

Moved On To Cars from Quads

2007 Dodge Charger Superbee SRT8 #259/1000

1993 Dodge W350 Dually

1969 Plymouth Satellite - 580hp 440 - 727 - 3.73 Locker

"If you want to make a Conservative angry, tell him a lie. If you want to make a Liberal angry, tell him the truth." - Rush Limbaugh

sounds really good. Do you have any pictures of your bike? Thanks

Nice review...
    Play hard and Ride harder...

Go see Andy at Dirtfirst.He is in Baltimore and should have a pipe/jetting setup for you.If you do not get the holeshot with it,I would be surprised.If you want to see just how much power the 525 has,put it in 3rd gear from a standing start and rip it.I know with the 20 in. tires on mine it would power wheelie away from a dead stop.Those 18's should really make it rip even more off the bottom.How about those front brakes?Pretty sweet aren't they.Don't worry about slipping the clutch,it is pretty stout.I abused mine in a soft sand pit and it never slipped or faded.
    I would take off the stock skid plate on the rear axle before it breaks off and de-rails the chain.that cost Andy a dnf. Andy has a better skid plate for it made out of aluminum.

I got the bike from the dealer a took it straight to Andy. Andy does the work on all my bikes, my sons bikes and all my riding partners bikes. He helped me make my final decision to buy it.

i notice you put flex bars on, what did you do with the ignition cluster?? I think that is the only part that was an after thought on this bike.

How old are your kids and what do they ride? Have you been to Breezewood? We went this past Fri. and Sat. It was awsome. We are going again this Sunday,it is a great place to break in a new quad.Good training for all ages on moto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another Bpg pic.

Dad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast