Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Advice

Rifle Advice

i was wondering if u guys could help me out... i would like to get a new a rifle for deer season and i really dont know to much about guns. i currently use a 30-30 that has been passed down to me but i fell guilty taking a gun that is so old in perfect condition and means a lot to me out in the woods. does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should look into buying? and what i should look at before purchasing a rifle.

im gunna buy used... i would like to spend no more than $500 but if neccessary i will spend more. i do not have anything special in mind as to what kind of rifle i get as long as it has a scope. i normally hunt on a farm so i would like something with a little power.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Rifle Advice

Originally posted by chevy
    i was wondering if u guys could help me out... i would like to get a new a rifle for deer season and i really dont know to much about guns. i currently use a 30-30 that has been passed down to me but i fell guilty taking a gun that is so old in perfect condition and means a lot to me out in the woods. does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should look into buying? and what i should look at before purchasing a rifle.

im gunna buy used... i would like to spend no more than $500 but if neccessary i will spend more. i do not have anything special in mind as to what kind of rifle i get as long as it has a scope. i normally hunt on a farm so i would like something with a little power.

for rifles, i have no favorite, sounds like you would like a 30.06, but i would definetely look at the savage 7 ot 8, one of my favorite to shoot
    Originally posted by firefighterjosh
    Don't trust something that bleeds for 7 days and dosen't die
    2006 TLD Polaris Predator
    White Brothers Pipe
    K&N Air FIlter
    Pro Armor
    Chrome PowerMadd
    Pro Armor XC Bumper
    Pro Armor Nerfs
    Pro Designs Kill Switch

2004 Chevy Silverado
    Stock for now.....

Re: Rifle Advice

Originally posted by chevy

depends alot on where you are hunting. My place is thick with not alot of clearings so my rifle of choice is a 30/30. (witch you said you allready have) If your wanting knock down power at a short range they are hard to beat.

If you hunt with a lot of wide open spaces then look at something bigger.

my dad and i hunt quite a bit and he carries an Enfield p17 from ww1, and right now i carry a Marlin .44 lever-action, but we are building a Mosin Nagant m91/30 repo sniper for me to carry

the Enfield

Blaine Kaiser #426

Moved On To Cars from Quads

2007 Dodge Charger Superbee SRT8 #259/1000

1993 Dodge W350 Dually

1969 Plymouth Satellite - 580hp 440 - 727 - 3.73 Locker

"If you want to make a Conservative angry, tell him a lie. If you want to make a Liberal angry, tell him the truth." - Rush Limbaugh

i hunt on my buddys farm so 90% of the time im hunting in a field, i agree nothing beats a 30/30 in brush and close range but i would still like to get something bigger for those long distance shots.

that Enfield looks like a sweet gun it looks to be in awesome condition

i use a 30-06 and it works great for long distance shots but they say the .308 is a tad more accurate. either would be a good choice though.
    06 YFZ
    03 400EX

I carry a Browning A-Bolt Hunter 30-06 with a Leupold VX-I scope. That was about $900.

Just picked up a leftover Remington 700 ADL .270 (now SPS (the fully synthetic ones)) for $295. Then I put a Leupold VX-I on it and now I am up to about $600. Great gun for the money.
    Research Assistant
    Engine Research Center
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Department of Mechanical Engineering

2003 400ex
    2005 Arctic Cat F7 EFI

If you are looking for a bargain, you are probably going to be choosing price over a specific model.

I would say you couldn't go wrong with any 30-06, and as common as they are, you are likely to find a deal on one. A 270 is also a very nice gun.

In my opinion, the best all-around gun is a 7mm. The are common enough to get ammo almost anywhere, and they have a nice selection of ammo. You can get a light load for deer, or a heavy load for larger game like Elk. They also shoot really flat, which makes them great for long distance.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

like everyone is saying it depends a lot on where your hunting. you said its on a farm so im assuming more fields than woods so id go with a 30.06 or 270 if i were you. they are both all around good rifles.
    joshua d. hunter
    2003 white z400
    2001 volkswagen jetta wolfsburg edition 1.8t
    "if it aint broke dont fix it...if it is broke duct tape works pretty damn good"

30-30's have probably killed more white tail deer than any rifle in the U.S.
    All the deer I've killed are under 150 yards, a 30-30 is great for that. Myself I use a Marlin .45-70 with peep sights, good for anything in North America from deers,bear and moose.
    Have fun lugging a Mosin Nagant hunting through the woods, they way close to12 pounds without the P.U. scope and mount, not to mention the length of that beast, or the lack of quality ammo.
    Sometimes when I'm still hunting(stalking) I like to carry an 18.5 inch 870 12 guage shotgun, with the first shot a federal tru-ball and a follow up with 00 buck. It works great for jumping bucks out of the thick woods.
    My stable....- 1986 Fourtrax 265R PV -2005 416EX, 2007 Suzuki Z400- 2004 SUBARU WRX STI- 8 bit Nintendo Top loader, one American Bulldog

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast