Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Mileage

Gas Mileage

How long should a tank of gas last me if im riding fairly hard? I cant seem to get more then an hour out of a tank. I noticed that my carb leaks when sitting so I always turn the gas off now. I am coming from a four stroke also, but is this normal?
    Thanks alot,

Sam
    Starting my HOUSER CRF450 build, pictures up soon...

ported? which carb?

sounds like you need to mess with your floats, and you may want to check your pet cock as well...

it sounds to me like youre losing fuel, as i could do quite a bit of duning and hill shooting on one tank...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

The motor is completely stock. I have had some trouble with this carb before this. I was debating selling it if this is was normal!
    Thanks alot,
    Sam

could be leaking the fuel out of the overflow into the bottom end...sounds like a carb issue of some kind for sure...an hour out of a tank of gas sounds expensive =D

Hunter

You should get significantly more than an hour, even at hard riding.

Leaking fuel is NOT normal. Where is it leaking from (the bottom of the bowl, the overflow tube)?
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

I didnt have a chance to get a really good look at the carb so im not sure where it is leaking. I will be upgrading carbs soon hopefully. If I get a 310 powervalve with reeds and a bigger carb, how long should I expect to be able to go at hard riding, just so I know what to expect?
    Thanks for the help,

Sam

on my 38mm a/s carb i can get around 3-4 hours, when i was running a stock carb it was more like 5-6.
    03 arens/lrd/tcs 262r

Thanks for the help I will be keeping my R for sure now!
    Thanks again,

Sam

Yeh 3-4 hours easy on mine, riding hard.

310 you'll have to do a top end a lot more, once a year if you ride it a lot.

Its prolly leaking from your overflow, unless you have some loose screws in there to your float bowl and get new lines and clamps on your tank to petcock and petcock to carb.
    Scott Landgraf

1989 Honda 250r
    -Mild port-FMF Header Pipe-FMF Silencer-CR250 Head Gasket-Coolhead-Rad Valve-K&N Filter-DuraBlue Axle-Works Shocks-Lonestar Steering Stem-Renthal Bars
    Thank you Wes and Andy

SOLD! Gone but not forgotten.
    2002 300ex (yellow) with
    PRM bottom frame skid plate

My Drifter
    1985 5.0 Mustang GT
    -5-speed

Originally posted by Scott-300ex

310 you'll have to do a top end a lot more, once a year if you ride it a lot.

what are you talking about? i would love for YOU to give me a logical and correct explanation why giong with a bigger piston requires you to have to do a top end a lot more often...

lets here it...

QUOTE]Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
    Check this out,

330R engine built in 04 for a back up & practice bike, same engine was used in 05 for 24 races local & gnc national events. In 06, same engine 28 races local & gnc national events & have ran two events already for the 07 season.
    Only thing touched on the engine in all that time has been a head dome was replaced because it spit a plug out & I cross threaded it going back in, so rather that helicoil the hole, just replaced the dome.
    I can tell you this much though, never been run a single time on the lean side far as jets & had a clean Uni 2 stage foam air flter for every race, notice I didnt say K&N, thats right Uni.
    You want it to live, you better filter that air.

Oh, & to top that all off, the 330 cylinder & head was a junker that a guy gave me after he had bought a 350 Pro-x top end, was a complete fresh rebuild in 04 though.
    Neil
    [/QUOTE]
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast