Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which : 450 or 525 ?

i heared the same thing about the 525 having to much power for the woods but you can always ride it in a gear higher to keep the power down a bit....and have a ton more just a gear shift away!!
    08 KTM525XC hipers..holeshot GNCC...powermads FOR SALE

06 LTR450....pro armor nerf bars..cherry bomb..precision steering stabilizer...hiper wheels...razor2 tires..fly aro taper bars...13/38 gearing...prm skids...prm rear grab bar...rath racing front bumper....EBC SV pads...modquad filter kit...cernics plug and go....cernics electronics shield...instigator racing graphics and seatcover....fasst company flex bars

more info on the ktm's

http://www.ktm.com/ATV.100153.4.html
    06 YFZ 450

49 vs 53 hp atthe crank is what is advertised , so very comparable between the two motors, as for too much power, your xc1 riders do extreme amounts of motor work anyway so its what you get used to riding. The big difference is where the power is being made, the 525 makes morepower lower in the rpms, so if you like reving it out, 450 my be the way to go, if you like low end torq 525, both will be equally fast at top end. Both machines are within onces of each other in weight. if you buy 525 you can bolt on a 450 motor if you like , absolutely no differences besides the motor.

Just road the 525 WOW

I was surprised that I was allowed to take it out for a spin. The throtle responce is more exact and fluid then any other sport quad. The weight distribution is as close to perfect that I have ridden. I can't see any downside to the 525 outside of comp limitations and the price. I think I may have an 07 and 06 yfz for sale.

If the similarities from the 450 and 525 bikes transfer to the quad, then I would think the only way to go is the 525.

I pulled the check book out and then realized that the bike was a demo. It had developed one or two oil leaks and the undercarage was damaged. Too bad. I was looking forward to building a dual stack gradge.

Re: Just road the 525 WOW

Originally posted by Jawbone
    I was surprised that I was allowed to take it out for a spin. The throtle responce is more exact and fluid then any other sport quad. The weight distribution is as close to perfect that I have ridden. I can't see any downside to the 525 outside of comp limitations and the price. I think I may have an 07 and 06 yfz for sale.

If the similarities from the 450 and 525 bikes transfer to the quad, then I would think the only way to go is the 525.

I pulled the check book out and then realized that the bike was a demo. It had developed one or two oil leaks and the undercarage was damaged. Too bad. I was looking forward to building a dual stack gradge.
    I've heard of oil leaks on the KTM powered Polaris's. Is there a problem to worry about on these motors?
    Play hard and Ride harder...

Re: Re: Just road the 525 WOW

Originally posted by Quad_Runner
    I've heard of oil leaks on the KTM powered Polaris's. Is there a problem to worry about on these motors?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

It lookied as though the shifter seal was leaking. I didn't remove the under guard to see the other leak. Being a cross country rider the case looks very vulnerable and would need to have better protection before a rocky ride. The bikes are great so I don't see any reason why the oil leaks couldn't be contained. It just didn't sit right buying a 10k quad with any flaws.

450>525....at nationals and what not you can only run a 450.....and who needs a 525???really 450's good enough.

525 is the limit in gncc for pro classes, and the big diff between 450 and 525 isn't the power per say but where its made, 525 tends to be more torq and power at lower rpms, it really depends on how you like to ride , high reving or low on the throttle range

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12