Thread: Polaris Sportsman 500 HO problem

Polaris Sportsman 500 HO problem

I have a problem with my ATV. It is a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. I just got it and it is really frustrating. When i get going at a low speed the atv jerks back and forth and when i slow down it does the same thing. is it a shaft problem? if so how hard is it to fix?
    1988 Honda FourTrax Foreman 300 FW 4x4
    12x7 Douglas Rattlesnake
    Front=Kenda bear claw 24x8x12
    Rear=Kenda Executioner 25x10x12

The trans. is making a clanking noise when I take of and slow down also when I aply the brakes. it is almost as though it studers when i acceleratea little bit and when i slow down what is the problem
    2001 Polaris Sportsman 500

Afternoon SmokeyJhon
    You said you just got it, Polaris Sportsman are known for makin noise, So that might not be anything to worry bout, But for the jerking, are your u joints 0k?
    Now for a dumb thought, (this happened to me) Are there any rocks on top of your skid plate that are hitting you drive shaft? When I turned left I would feel mine shake, rattle and clank, I looked twice but didn't sea the rock in there, I found it the next day after I jacked it up and got a flashlight, It was as big as a truck, (will, it was big)
    Fear Nothin But God

06 500 X-2

The U joints are fine. Would it be obvious if there was a rock clanking up in there. if not how would check by a jack stand. If the drive belt was bad would it have this affect. if so how would i get to it and how would i know if it needed to be replaced. i also dont know if that rock theory would cause the whole entire machine to jerk around like that. It almost seems as though it is a tranny problem.(i hope not). It only does it in very low speeds and while braking. its defiatly not the brakes.(im pretty sure). if its jerking at a low speed in reverse and forward could it be bad gas or a fouled plug.

Need more answers!!!

i think i found the problem but im not sure. i called the dealer and they said it was the drive belt so we will see

the drive belt is to blame

I have a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO with the same problems. How do you know the drive belt is causing the problems? Did you replace the belt and the problems went away?

yes i replaced the belt and that was the problem. my belt had a huge chunk out of it so thats how i knew it was the prolbem. you should know if its bad. and if you never replaced it then its bad.
    1988 Honda FourTrax Foreman 300 FW 4x4
    12x7 Douglas Rattlesnake
    Front=Kenda bear claw 24x8x12
    Rear=Kenda Executioner 25x10x12