Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Back Pressure- Good or Bad?

Exhaust Back Pressure- Good or Bad?

The reference to needing back pressure for a motor to run properly has been mentioned many times with some debate.

I did some quick looking around and it seems exhaust back pressure isn't, for the most part, a good thing.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

Destroying a myth.

Some say that "an engine needs backpressure to work correctly." Is this true?

No. It would be more correct to say, "a perfectly stock engine that cannot adjust its fuel delivery needs backpressure to work correctly." This idea is a myth. As with all myths, however, there is a hint of fact with this one. Particularly, some people equate backpressure with torque, and others fear that too little backpressure will lead to valve burning.

The first reason why people say "backpressure is good" is because they believe that increased backpressure by itself will increase torque, particularly with a stock exhaust manifold. Granted, some stock manifolds act somewhat like performance headers at low RPM, but these manifolds will exhibit poor performance at higher RPM. This, however does not automatically lead to the conclusion that backpressure produces more torque. The increase in torque is not due to backpressure, but to the effects of changes in fuel/air mixture, which will be described in more detail below.

The other reason why people say "backpressure is good" is because they hear that cars (or motorcycles) that have had performance exhaust work done to them would then go on to burn exhaust valves. Now, it is true that such valve burning has occurred as a result of the exhaust mods, but it isn't due merely to a lack of backpressure.

The internal combustion engine is a complex, dynamic collection of different systems working together to convert the stored power in gasoline into mechanical energy to push a car down the road. Anytime one of these systems are modified, that mod will also indirectly affect the other systems, as well.

Now, valve burning occurs as a result of a very lean-burning engine. In order to achieve a theoretical optimal combustion, an engine needs 14.7 parts of oxygen by mass to 1 part of gasoline (again, by mass). This is referred to as a stochiometric (chemically correct) mixture, and is commonly referred to as a 14.7:1 mix. If an engine burns with less oxygen present (13:1, 12:1, etc...), it is said to run rich. Conversely, if the engine runs with more oxygen present (16:1, 17:1, etc...), it is said to run lean. Today's engines are designed to run at 14.7:1 for normally cruising, with rich mixtures on acceleration or warm-up, and lean mixtures while decelerating.

Getting back to the discussion, the reason that exhaust valves burn is because the engine is burning lean. Normal engines will tolerate lean burning for a little bit, but not for sustained periods of time. The reason why the engine is burning lean to begin with is that the reduction in backpressure is causing more air to be drawn into the combustion chamber than before. Earlier cars (and motorcycles) with carburetion often could not adjust because of the way that backpressure caused air to flow backwards through the carburetor after the air already got loaded down with fuel, and caused the air to receive a second load of fuel. While a bad design, it was nonetheless used in a lot of vehicles. Once these vehicles received performance mods that reduced backpressure, they no longer had that double-loading effect, and then tended to burn valves because of the resulting over-lean condition. This, incidentally, also provides a basis for the "torque increase" seen if backpressure is maintained. As the fuel/air mixture becomes leaner, the resultant combustion will produce progressively less and less of the force needed to produce torque.

Modern BMWs don't have to worry about the effects described above, because the DME (car's computer) that controls the engine will detect that the engine is burning leaner than before, and will adjust fuel injection to compensate. So, in effect, reducing backpressure really does two good things: The engine can use work otherwise spent pushing exhaust gas out the tailpipe to propel the car forward, and the engine breathes better. Of course, the DME's ability to adjust fuel injection is limited by the physical parameters of the injection system (such as injector maximum flow rate and fuel system pressure), but with exhaust backpressure reduction, these limits won't be reached.

- Adapted from Thomas V.
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question172.htm

How do exhaust headers work to improve engine performance?

Headers are one of the easiest bolt-on accessories you can use to improve an engine's performance. The goal of headers is to make it easier for the engine to push exhaust gases out of the cylinders.

When you look at the four-stroke cycle in How Car Engines Work, you can see that the engine produces all of its power during the power stroke. The gasoline in the cylinder burns and expands during this stroke, generating power. The other three strokes are necessary evils required to make the power stroke possible. If these three strokes consume power, they are a drain on the engine.

During the exhaust stroke, a good way for an engine to lose power is through back pressure. The exhaust valve opens at the beginning of the exhaust stroke, and then the piston pushes the exhaust gases out of the cylinder. If there is any amount of resistance that the piston has to push against to force the exhaust gases out, power is wasted. Using two exhaust valves rather than one improves the flow by making the hole that the exhaust gases travel through larger.

In a normal engine, once the exhaust gases exit the cylinder they end up in the exhaust manifold. In a four-cylinder or eight-cylinder engine, there are four cylinders using the same manifold. From the manifold, the exhaust gases flow into one pipe toward the catalytic converter and the muffler. It turns out that the manifold can be an important source of back pressure because exhaust gases from one cylinder build up pressure in the manifold that affects the next cylinder that uses the manifold.

The idea behind an exhaust header is to eliminate the manifold's back pressure. Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share, each cylinder gets its own exhaust pipe. These pipes come together in a larger pipe called the collector. The individual pipes are cut and bent so that each one is the same length as the others. By making them the same length, it guarantees that each cylinder's exhaust gases arrive in the collector spaced out equally so there is no back pressure generated by the cylinders sharing the collector.

http://www.thrashercharged.com/tech_htm/exhaust.shtm

Exhaust Backpressure Study

Replacing the stock production exhaust system with a low-restriction, free-flow one is usually one of the first modifications made to any vehicle in the name of performance. We all know they're louder, but how much performance do they really add? We've all seen supposed dyno tests, usually run by the exhaust manufacturer's themselves on their own dyno, indicating vast power gains, and psychologically, we always equate a healthy exhaust rumble with increased power in the seat of the pants, but how much power are we really gaining? To find out, we're running a simple backpressure study, and our results will be posted here as they come. Admittedly this study is not totally scientific as there are many uncontrolled variables, but it should be sufficient to provide a rough estimate.
    It is generally accepted by automotive engineers that for every inch of Hg of backpressure (that's Mercury - inches of Hg is a unit for measuring pressure) approximately 1-2 HP is lost depending on the displacement and efficiency of the engine, the combustion chamber design, etc. Our sources indicated that in the case of the L67 3800SC, 1HP per inch of Hg is reasonable.

1 inch Hg backpressure = 1 HP lost

For reference, we have the following conversions factors:

1 ATM = 14.7 PSI = 76 cm of Hg = 29.921 inches of Hg = 1.013 bar

wow.. i have questioned this in the past too.. as i always hear backpressure this and backpressure that.. great research man

02' Silver 440ex
    Full P&P, Edelbrock Doug Eichner 440 carb, Motoworks SR4, Hotcams, Wiseco 11:1, Hotrods...

PLEASE make this a sticky, great look up!

Jimmy

Ok, I realize this is all a theoretical conversation but I have pondered this whole backpressure issue also.

If no backpressure produces the most power, wouldn't it be easier to just run a large header and a straight pipe or a straight through glasspack type muffler, then install a huge air filter with no airbox.

Then start jetting to match the airflow and be done with it??

Of course you can get into lager carbs, and porting, ect.

I've experimented with different backpressures and found I got a stronger power increase at a lower RPM with backpressure variences.

Now of course, all this is measured by my Buttdyno. I once believed in the zero backpressure idea also, but now I have felt a difference and I have changed my oppinion slightly.

Once again, just peoples theories.

JDRider

From the reading I did it appears some back pressure helps in the lower rpm range which might be noticeable on the butt-dyno.

This may be a poor comparison but look at pro drag cars, they all run very short headers. They also run at a fairly high rpm. I would think since they are trying to maximize horsepower with little regard to longevity they will be doing everything they can to get the maximum horsepower.

Just my opinion of course

Originally posted by JDRider
    ....If no backpressure produces the most power, wouldn't it be easier to just run a large header and a straight pipe or a straight through glasspack type muffler, then install a huge air filter with no airbox.

Then start jetting to match the airflow and be done with it??

Of course you can get into lager carbs, and porting, ect....
    Not really. Or at least, not in many cases. Big, large diameters that can flow huge amounts of air are not always best.

One thing I didn't see emphasized in the posted links was the importance of air velocity (both for intake and exhaust). It's a very important point that's sometimes missed.

To the best of my knowledge backpressure is always bad. It never helps, it only hurts. So you might think that a huge header, intake, carb, etc. would be the best. The problem is that if you have a huge header that produces no backpressure the velocity of the gases is reduced. Imagine bolting up a 4" header to a 450cc engine. There will be little to no backpressure. But the exhaust gases will also be flowing through it at a comparatively low velocity. High velocity is good because it helps to scavenge gases into & out of the cylinder.

As I understand it, the goal should be an exhaust with the highest gas velocity possible with the least backpressure possible. Changing one can affect the other and therein lies some confusion. But they are separate factors.

I believe the "backpressure helps torque" idea stems from what backpressure will sometimes do to gas velocity. If adding some backpressure through a smaller diameter or longer length header or smaller exhaust outlet increases gas velocity, the benefit from the increased velocity may overshadow the detriment of the backpressure. The net result is an increase in power and it looks like the backpressure was the reason. Really it was the increase in velocity that is providing the improvement.

I believe increased backpressure and increased low end torque are erroneously correlated because it's at lower rpm that gas velocities are lowest and exhaust restrictions have the least effect. Hence, at low rpm the positive effect of increased gas velocity is more likely to overshadow the negative effect of increased backpressure.

The principle behind stepped headers centers around increasing gas velocity. Too large of a carb hurts low end power power because of their lower gas velocities at lower rpm. Gas velocity crops up again with porting. Hogging out ports with no consideration for gas velocity can take you backwards. Check out some recent porting changes to OEM Honda and Yamaha heads....

It's all about increasing gas velocity. It's not about increasing pressure with restrictions.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

JOEX those are some good reading articles. Nice find. I agree make this one a sticky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast