Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 450R carb installation

My 450R carb installation

I know this subject has been beat to death, but here are a few pictures from my installation.

Please note this is for the '04-'05 carb....

I made an adapter to solve (2) issues with the installation. It solves the size issue of the airbox snorkel and the length issue. Running this I did NOT have to move my airbox and I did NOT have to heat the snorkel to fit.

Please note: I had to remove the "ridges" cast into the airbox side of the carb. This is a very tedious job. I used a sanding drum attached to my dremel tool. Then I applied a very thin layer of black RTV gasket maker onto the adapter and the carb and used an bench vise to press the two pieces together. This ensures the parts stay together and don't leak!

Lastly I used that same sanding drum on my dremel to remove some of the ridges in the intake side boot. I was careful and left some of the original shape. The carb still used what is left of these molded ridges to seal upon.

I can make you one of these adapters, PM me for the details

This is what the whole system looks like from above. You can see that the airbox is still in the original mounting hole.

This is what the carb looks like from the airbox side. The adapter is "invisible" to the carb and the incoming air stream

I also moved the top vent from the top to the side for tank clearance. The stock vent can be tapped for a 12-24UN thread as cast and then a button head screw thread locked into the vent to seal it off. I do not have the screw installed in this picture.

Once that top hole is plugged, simply drill the side hole through the cast material and it will break into the same area of the casting as the top vent previously did!!

This is a picture with the screw to plug the top vent in place. My local hardware store only had the 12-24UN in a brass version. Be careful, a 12-24UN is tough to find.

This is how I sealed off the hot start. I simply used some black RTV gasket maker and filled the cable adapter until it oozed out the back. Then I re-installed the hot start plunger and the spring to seal everything off.

Nice

But this doesn't look like something the average rider will be able to accomplish by themself. Thinking about marketing this?
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Originally posted by JOEX
    Nice

But this doesn't look like something the average rider will be able to accomplish by themself. Thinking about marketing this?
    I could, but that is not my original intent of this post.

How many 400EX owners would be interested in buying the adapter?

Originally posted by zrpilot
    I could, but that is not my original intent of this post.

How many 400EX owners would be interested in buying the adapter?
    Didn't think it was your intent

A couple years ago you probably could've sold hundreds of them. There may still be a market out there for those who don't want to go through the hassle of the other ways of adapting. But may want to wait until the '08 400ex comes out and see what it has
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

i would if you would make me one and how much?
    08 ltr450 le cherry bomb, uni,Full Duncan exhaust,pro tapper,rock nerfs,motorsport bumper

01 440ex Girlfriends bike , +2+1 a-arms, uni filter, chm slip on,white bros header ac bumper, 440 kit 12:1, hd head studs, nerfs,rad lock nut,westcost carrier,450r carb,stage 2 hot cam, eca break block off, 450r swing arm,450r rear brake set up,tcs revalved rear shock

I'll take one!

Thats awesome. do you have anymore of these? how noticable is the difference? I just picked up a 450r carb today off ebay. whats is yours jetted at? i am from southern mn so the jetting should be pretty close to the same

What other mods do you have?

With mine, it made a large difference. I had an FCR carb on it before and the 450R carb simply made it run better!

Probably start at a 175 main and 50 pilot, with needle in the middle.

Oh yeah, returned you PM

late to the thread but you have a pm. Im intrested in the adapter.
    07 400ex
    04 450r
    14.8:1 cp piston
    web 208 cam
    DASA head and exhaust
    43mm FCR

I would take an adapter, And what engine mods do u have what is your jetting and what is your elevation/average temp?

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast