Thread: Whats really inside???

Whats really inside???

Had family, Friends etc come down to the farm with atv's sxs etc today for food and riding the usual thanksgiving for us. This year i had my own 400ex i bought on new years last year.

When i bought it, It was showroom. The paint on the a-arms are just now from my use rubbing off along with side cases and frame where boots wear the paint off.

Any who today i rode with a 416, 440, 2 450r's, 4x4's and the sxs. There were a couple yami's, One 450 and 350.

Went out and we were going to drag the field down and back to see whos got what. I left the 416 in the dust no problem. I didnt have to try. The 440 gave me a run, But out of three races i beat him bad twice. The 450 yamai was the only one to give me a run off the line and through the gears race until he got to the top end.
    The honda 450r was what i was thinking i was going to be contending with as they can get the hole shot, lug and blast away etc. I thought id be the slower mid pack.

Except the r's, They couldnt touch me. Now im curious what i have? I can see maybe one bad running quad or poor tune, But a 416 and 440? Im also 6'4 240lbs so i know im not the lightest guy to be on a 400.

Without tearing it all apart, How can i tell if or what it has? I was told but no paper work a 404 with kibblewhite parts. I never found a 404 kit so im kinda curious what it is.
    I run pump gas, Jetted correct except the 40-42 pilot, No smoke or odd engine noise. Stock CDI, Head pipe etc. Stock sprockets and 20" rears. Honestly nothing but a uni filter in the stock box and a yoshi slip on.

Needless to say there were a few but hurt guys and the 440 is a built machine and is 15 hours fresh. I really dont care as it runs good and i have no problems in any season except when its hot my clutch will slip every now and then but the dad of the 440 was really pissed it wasnt putting out.

Im not posting to brag at all, But a fat guy on a 400 should have had a little more compitition. Where should i start or is it a who cares until rebuild/problem time?

Thanks for any replys and sorry for the long post

In responce to all that you can't really tell what you got unless you tear it apart. And on a side note you dusting the other 4 wheelers might have something to do with the riders. If they suck and can bang gears you will beat them on just about anything.
    trail guide .. cause i lead the way

Maybe you got a 440. If anything they just suck at riding b/c a yfz should murder you as well as a the 450rs.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I thought if any "chance" i had was my usual second gear dump starts. Get them through third and they are gone.

We did rolling and dead stops as well. The 440 kid/guy races up north and has a pretty decent machine IMO. Not as good looking as most that post up here, Just a race, Wash, maintence and fix when broke.

The yfz450 should have been able to toy with me too, But he said he had to run me down pinned, He won but not like the others.

Im just learning these 4 strokes my self, Other than a warrior i had so i didnt ride my banshees on trails, Its night and day. I have had 4 stroke bikes, But they are night and day too. But yeah seat time and "what used to work" transition is working ok.

I would think if a 440 was done, It would have marks or somthing on the head, jug etc but i guess if you wanted a sleeper thats what you do. Maybe that explains the slight slipping clutch in summer and the heat off the motor. But oil cooled will do that too and my oil sump is stock.

Aside from the dad pretty much teching my quad of the 440 rider, I would say if they learned how to ride, Yeah i would get my *** handed to me like the auto 4x4's.

But it was a fun day just too bad you cant ride at a family function with out the some drama BS. It was windy but a nice 60ish degrees, Right where my 400 runs like a top lol.

It all boils down to main jet tunning for the big bores, once your at WOT you need all the gas you can get or the motor will wont run max power at full RPM.

Before I learned about jetting my 440 would get beat by stock 400ex's.

When tunning big bore main jet you have to start LARGE on jet sizes and go by what www.jetsrus.com reccomends for main jet tunning.

Start large 210 minimum, if it fully revs out with no stutter then keep going up, if it stutters back down jet sizes till it fully revs out.

250rs are nice but they have LOW hp compared to new 250 two strokes, stock 250r only has about 30hp, stock 1998 cr250r has 45 hp stock.

But anyway, even after all that my 440 drag bike got beat by a stock 400ex once

I have no good excuse.
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

You should of switched quads on the ones you raced....OK let me race that 416 an you race my 400EX......OK let me race that 440 an you get on my 400.......My nephew has a tricked out ported Banshee, he beats his dad on his CT Racing 450R.....then a guy that races dirt bikes he knows gets on his dads 450R an smokes his Banshee!!!! They switch an the Banshee smokes the 450R!!!!! You will never know how fast yours really is until you switch it up.....you could of smoked your own machine using someones elses quad.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

I would guess its got NOS and a turbo inside!!!
    05 440 11:1, Stage 2 HotCam, GT Thunder HD head studs, HD timing chain, & head gasket, Edelbrock D.E. sig series 440 carb, billet spacer plate, Pro design billet intake adapter, UNI filter, Outerwear air box cover, Trinity stage 4 full exhaust, Hinson Billet clutch basket, fibers, & springs, 15/38 gearing, D.I.D. X-ring chain, AMR stage 3 cdi & monster coil, Procom rectifier, EMS high torque starter, Interstate Gel battery, Aluminum oversized oil tank, & air box, Maxxis Razr II's, Hiper wheels, DG pro peg nerfs, V-lite bumper, fat series swingarm skid, case saver, & front frame gaurd, OMF air scoups, Full Flight +2 A-arms, Elka Stage 4 front shocks, Precision steering stabilizer, Fasst flex barrs, Terry Cable thumb throttle, ODI Rouge grips, Rox powermad hand gaurds, & dash panel, LSR Axcaliber rear axel, Billet twin row carrier, & ebrake blockoff, Streamline S/S braided clutch cable.

I did switch it up, But the only sport quad i switched with was the yfz450. IMO it was snappy and only thing i had a problem with was blowing the tires off and no traction.

But i let them use mine for a few runs. The 416 guy rode mine the most and said it had alot more from bottom to top than his. Hes around 170lbs so it made it closer to fair for the 440. I was on a kawi 750 V, It will move a portly guy pretty well lol

The 440 dad/son was soo hell bound and pissed they kept doing this and that, All i was doing was riding for fun. All we did was put a couple blue 55g drums out to ride to and back.

They also called back today and wanted to ride again, To see if "they" found the weak link. I did asked about the jetting they were running and he said its a fcr? with a 190 main and the k%n lid.

I honestly dont know the differnce between all the parts and i dont think they do either. I just wanted to have fun and it turned into a 400 showdown. The 416 guy was like me, Who cares lets ride.

I have always been singled out by people, riders etc for the quads i rode/ride. They know that i used to know the small tricks and how to cheat here and there, But that was 10+ years ago.

Along with my ride of choice then was a 87' J-arm banshee.
    The only tricks i know now is what parts swap. That and it was thanksgiving ride not the monster cup run.

I can honestly say that vanity has taken over atv's. If you dont have the best looking and running your a turd. It used to be the new flashy machines were owned by posers who couldnt win a piss ant moto race around a cheerio, The ones mommy and daddy took out a loan to get.

The whole time the few were *****ing, All i could think about is the old honda slogan, I wanna ride, I wanna ride lol. And they wonder why i ride alone and free ride only anymore. I have nothing to prove just want to enjoy riding.