Thread: axle bearing failed

axle bearing failed

well my axle bearing are screwed. i havent opened it up yet, but i will probably tommarow. but i can see that the bearings next to the rotor are shot. and the seal got twisted and ripped out. something also shifted, because my rotor rubbed up against my brake caliper. are these bearing easy to install and pull out. and what do you recommend for a new carrier if mine is screwed up. how much would i be looking at for a stock carrier.

Thanks.
    Trx 450R - BACK IN ACTION!!!

*2005 CRF450R*
    Pro-Action Suspension
    Pro-Circuit Ti-4 Full System
    Acerbis Hand Guards
    Hot Cam Stage 2
    Hotrods Crank
    JE 12.5:1 Piston

2000 Mustang GT
    WAY too much to list, and still too slow

If it looks that bad from the outside I would bet the carrier is shot. I change my bearing once a year.

well i am going to go look at it in a second (i just woke up) but from the outside i can see that the bearings like case that hold the balls in. well that thing split

oh i will try to get pics, but i think my dad took our camera

*2005 CRF450R*
    Pro-Action Suspension
    Acerbis Hand Guards
    Hot Cam Stage 2
    Hotrods Crank

2000 Mustang GT

If ur carrier is out, get a stock one. I dropped the money on a dual row and it went out faster than my stock one! Plus its not very hard to change out bearings. If u take it apart and lube the stock ones they will last a long time.

How do u lube a sealed bearing????
    2006 TRX450ER DRG MONSTER
    2007 CRF 450R
    2002 Hayabusa

Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
    How do u lube a sealed bearing????

You pull one of the seals out and pack grease in it. I do this with all of these carrier bearings before I even put them in the carrier when they are new. Usually the bearings dont come with enough grease in them as it is so putting more in will help bearing life tremendously.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

LOL

I have a tapered bearing carrier from RPM. It is pricy, but I just repack the bearing twice a year and it has been going strong with two race seasons on it. It is well worth the money.
    2004 450R, HRC kit, HMF exhaust. RPM axle, Elka Elite shocks (revalved by Santo DeRisi) with Pro Dual linkage, Houser A-arms.
    District 18 #76 MX

Originally posted by 400exrider707
    You pull one of the seals out and pack grease in it. I do this with all of these carrier bearings before I even put them in the carrier when they are new. Usually the bearings dont come with enough grease in them as it is so putting more in will help bearing life tremendously.
    I do the same thing before I install new bearing. You get a pick and pick the seals off of the bearings and pack them solid with good grease. You will be amazed how little grease is in there from the factory.

well i took it in to the dealership today and they called me a couple hours later and they said that they looked at the rear end and my bearings, carrier, brake hub, and axle are all trashed. and then he called honda and they said cover it under warranty so i am happy it doesnt cost a dime. that would have been like 700 bucks (estimated) just for the parts but i would have done it myself. so about a week and i will be out roosting around

*2005 CRF450R*
    Pro-Action Suspension
    Acerbis Hand Guards
    Hot Cam Stage 2
    Hotrods Crank

2000 Mustang GT