Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DS 540 V-Twin(aprilia dirt bike motor)

DS 540 V-Twin(aprilia dirt bike motor)

BRP is going to be releasing another new quad this month, lets just say I have some inside info that could be true.

The Rotax mill has like 70HP stock in the Super Motard dirt bike. They may just throw this into the DS450 frame.

Talk about the ultimate big bore quad ever.
    Rath Racing, Perfomance East, Goldsboro Powersports

the pic

check it out
    Attached Images Attached Images

and another

one more

I beleive they origionally wanted to put in a twin cylinder, but competition rules don't allow for a 2-cylinder, so they came up with their current design in lieu of their origional vision for the motor.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

not happining the 550 & 450 svx/ rvx motors are made by aprillia ot rotax. i higly doubt can-am / rotax would buy an engine from another company whe the alredy make the best powersports engines out there. it is possible that they design their own v-twin of that displacement. but i bet t would e based of the reegade/ outlander engines.

Aprilla may build the engine at their plant, but Rotax did the design work on the engine and I bet they own rights to it as well.
    Rotax also designed most of the engines in the BMW bikes including the new 650's, which is an evolution of the DS650 Engine, but Aprilla makes the engines at their plant for BMW, heck, Aprilla builds the whole bikes. That may change soon though since BMW bought Husqvarna. Aprilla and Rotax/BRP are very closely tied together.
    2008 KFX450R

This would be oh so sick! Ever since I first seen this motor, and how compact it is, I have dreamed of putting it in a spare Cannondale frame I have and building a sick hybrid. But I recall someone stating that a crate 540 twin motor was somewhere in $3-4k. Someday...
    #76 2002 Cannondale
    DirtSurfers
    Iowa OHV
    IATVHSS

Big deal LTR crate motors go for $3500+......They can still put one of them engines in a chassis and still sell them. Not everyone races......

Aaron
    White 06' LTR450....sold
    '08 LTR450 getting revamped.....

I read in atv action when the ds450 was released that Brp had one more new model due to be released fall 07. It also stated that the smaller renegade wouldnt be the only new V twin model this year. I take that as a hint since the ds 650 was discontinued. So their could be some truth to this rumor. Could be a very cool machine. If the ds 450 engine is as heavy as i think it is, a quad with that aprillia v twin would probably weigh only 5 to 10lbs more, as long as they dont try to beef it up too much. I am still dreaming of a two stroke variant that weighs 315lbs, maybe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast