Thread: Pilot Jet Question......

Pilot Jet Question......

Hey everyone.... Quick question. I have an 04 400ex with no airbox lid, K&N W/Outerwear, Stock Muffler/header, Just installed a DynoJet Kit Stage2 with 165main and 190needle 3rd clip. I ride at about 1000ft to 2000ft elevation. I installed it exactly to DynoJet specs. My question is why would dynoJet not have pilot jets with their kit, Or do I even need to worry about it? I read the forums on jetting but I was needing a lil' more insight. The thing rips compared to stock now and My jetting is perfecto.... Would I see an increase in bottom end with the pilot jet upgrade? what is the stock pilot jet and what should I upgrade to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    It Ain't What You Put On It,
    It's How You Ride It!
    04' 440EX
    01' DS720Race
    85' ATC350X
    05' KingQuad700
    07' Aprilia SXV550
    Riding is not an addiction, It's a way of life!

Re: Pilot Jet Question......

for me I would only touch the pilot if you are having trouble starting.

I put a size 40 in and it starts 1st time...everytime... and idle better in my opinion.

Originally posted by Ry007
    Hey everyone.... Quick question. I have an 04 400ex with no airbox lid, K&N W/Outerwear, Stock Muffler/header, Just installed a DynoJet Kit Stage2 with 165main and 190needle 3rd clip. I ride at about 1000ft to 2000ft elevation. I installed it exactly to DynoJet specs. My question is why would dynoJet not have pilot jets with their kit, Or do I even need to worry about it? I read the forums on jetting but I was needing a lil' more insight. The thing rips compared to stock now and My jetting is perfecto.... Would I see an increase in bottom end with the pilot jet upgrade? what is the stock pilot jet and what should I upgrade to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dynojet says that there is enough adjustment in the pilot screw, to not need a bigger pilot jet. I read somewhere the equivalent of adjusting the screw to a certain size jet, but I don't remember. Like 3 1/2 turns = 40 pilot jet , this is just an example not a true number.
    2000 400ex 11:1 Wiseco,stage 2 Hotcam, WB R4 full exhaust,WB rev box, K&N/OW, 450r carb, no lid, +2 a-arms,Works shocks,GForce axle,chrome stem,fat bars,250r hood, brake blockoff, ASV clutch lever, race cut fender.

2003 Cr250 White plastics, V Force 3 reed cage.

If I am having troubles with it idling when it is warm do I have to change the pilot jet? When it is cold it starts kinda hard but then it will idle until warm then I cannot start it unless I keep the throttle wide open.
    2001 Honda 400ex
    440 Kit
    12.5:1 Piston
    110 Octane Leaded (VP107)
    Hot Cam Stage 2
    Port and Polished
    Pro-Circuit T-4 Full Exhaust
    Heavy Duty Cam Chain
    K&N Air Filter with pre-filter
    Outwear Air Box Cover

i would suggest a 42 pilot, it really helps with cold starts and should eliminate any popping on decel.
    it will idle better also.
    Country Boy Can Survive

-97 F150-

400EX frame up build in the future.

humm...i went with a 40 and am at 3.5 turns out...maybe thats why i didn't need the 42...oh well...I didn't know that though.

Originally posted by dariusld
    Dynojet says that there is enough adjustment in the pilot screw, to not need a bigger pilot jet. I read somewhere the equivalent of adjusting the screw to a certain size jet, but I don't remember. Like 3 1/2 turns = 40 pilot jet , this is just an example not a true number.

Originally posted by dariusld
    don't know where they get that from but from my experience that is the falsest statement. but there is enough with a stock pilot for the stock lid on. i believe the stage 2 jet kit is for running with the lid off. at least that's what my kit says.

i had mine at 3 1/2 turns on the stock pilot and it was soo lean when i put my vented lid on it wouldn't even start. i put a 40 in it at 1 1/2 turns and no problemo.

i also heard that once you get past 3 1/2 turns it doesn't do anything more for fuel flow.
    04' 400EX
    White Bros. E2
    FMF Hi Flo Headers
    DynoJet Kit
    K&N Filter
    Hot Cams Stage1
    EHS Racing Air Box Lid
    DG Fat Series Nerfs
    Pro Armor Swing Arm Skid Plate
    Pro Taper Bars
    Maxxis Razr's on Douglas Wheels
    Pro Armor Foot Peg Maxi-Mizers
    ASV C5 Pro Clutch Lever
    LSR P-Brake block off
    Modified stock carburetor
    Sparks +6 key

Results.....

I opted not to change the pilot jet unless starting becomes a problem, wich it isn't. As for now, I am running just right at 3 3/4 turns out. That qtr. turn made a big difference in bottom end acceleration. I have been fooling around with it all day. So 165main 190 needle 3rd clip, Stock pilot, and 3 3/4 turns out and I am golden! DynoJet Instructions Rock! It's all up to you to get er' done right! Hands down the least expensive HP increase!Thanks for all the info guys.... This is really the best site...
    It Ain't What You Put On It,
    It's How You Ride It!
    04' 440EX
    01' DS720Race
    85' ATC350X
    05' KingQuad700
    07' Aprilia SXV550
    Riding is not an addiction, It's a way of life!