Thread: Rhino 101: The First Steps to Getting Power Out of the Rhino

Rhino 101: The First Steps to Getting Power Out of the Rhino

Basically, the reason i made this thread was to educate new Rhino Owners how to really open up their Rhinos and get more power.

I have little to add to this thread but i know you guys will have lots to say.

Post your tricks and tips to open up these babies.

Ive heard that Grizzly CDI boxes will take off the rev limiter and really let the thing go. Any other tips?

We may have a rhino build in the works so i could use some help.

Lets make this the Ultimate Rhino Modification Resource!

Hey, whats up.

Just like a quad, there are tons of things you can do to the rhino to gain some more power. Its all in how much money you want to spend

As for CDI's, the only way to go is with Dynatek. They ar a proven CDI that i have only heard good about. You have to realize though the CDI isnt really going to make more power down low, it is bassically moving the rev limiter to around 9000 which allows the engine to go faster than the stock limiter and also removes the reverse limiter.

Carburetors are also another part that can be upgraded for performance. Alot of people run a TM45 and some run a modified FCR. There are also a few intake/filter options out there too that all seem to help a little over stock.

Exhaust seems to be a big debate. The funny thing is alot of Dyno shootout runs so little gain out of a few pipes, and some even a loss in power. Again this topic seems to be up in the air. Some people i have talked to said the exhaust made a huge difference, some said it made no difference. There are a few tricks you can do with the stock head pipe to get it to flow a little better though.

Clutchs are also another common upgrade. There are quite a few companies that offer an aftermarket or machined sheave to help performance and gain a few MPH. There are also Dry clutch setups out now, that i havent looked into much, i know they are a good bit more expensive than a replacement sheave.

There are many options when it comes to actuall engine modifications. A common kit is the 686 big bore kit. Then there are many other big/stroker kits ranging from the 686 all the way over 800cc's. Other things like head work, valves, cam, compression, ect. also play a big factor as it would with a quad engine. It can add up if you want to go fast

Thing like tire size Also play a role in how powerfull it may feel. Having too large of a tire will def. lug it down. While running a smaller tire will make it a little more snappy.

There are a TON of companies on the west coast that are huge into the rhinos. Out east here its still growing. Im actually in the middle of a full race rhino build and cant wait till i have it done. Its been a little hard not having anyone around here that specializes in race rhinos, so i said what the heck, i guess ill do it

Ive been getting a good bit of help and input from some of the companies out west, but also tuning, building, setting everything up and dialing it in on my own here. It just takes a little time. Ive actually been trying out suspension settings that are Totally different from what they are running out west, and i seem to like it even more than what the common settings are. Im trying to think and build this more on the lines of a race quad, just ALOT bigger and heavier and it seems to be working very well so far.

If anyone has Any questions with rhino's feel free to get ahold of me, ill help all i can from what i know.

Thank you
    Justin

Thanks justin,

What are you doing as far as suspension?

Hey, i am running a fully adjustable XMF long travel setup. The quality and performance of it is top notch!!! I love it!!! Hopefully by the end of this week some more new goodies will be in for it

Thank you
    Justin

We have a dyno, and have been finding out some interesting things about aftermarket accessories.....and also have found how well tuned the stock rhino is from the factory! This is all good info - great post JRspawn! Is that the XMF out of Arizona?
    Corry Weller

#801 SR1 - Lucas Oil Series
    #29 2009 YFZ450R

www.wellerracing.com

Originally posted by 400grl
    We have a dyno, and have been finding out some interesting things about aftermarket accessories.....and also have found how well tuned the stock rhino is from the factory! This is all good info - great post JRspawn! Is that the XMF out of Arizona?
    I was really suprised by how fast it was stock. Good power and acceleration.

I race in the stock classes with my rhino - with just jetting, I almost always pull easy holeshots.....our class does not allow ANY modifications - stock CDI, stock muffler (we are allowed a tip), stock intake, filter - everything.

We have found with spot-on jetting, our totally stock rhino will perform just as well as a rhino with full exhuast and intake mods......only limitation being the stock CDI cuts out at 41 mph....but for short course racing, that's not an issue!
    Corry Weller

#801 SR1 - Lucas Oil Series
    #29 2009 YFZ450R

www.wellerracing.com

i think the stock 660's are very underpowered for as big as they are. what i would like to see is a 350 V8 rhino, or some kinda big cruiser bike motor like the V6 from the goldwing, or some big v-twin from the yamaha star motorcycle. I would love to do something like that, but i dont even have money do but a rhino, never mind doing an engine transplant...
    1989 Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee
    DMC 916 Exhaust__K&N Filter__Boysen Reeds__13 Sprocket__+2+1 Lonestar J-arms__Works AT-Steelers Triple Rate Shocks__White Brothers Rims__Renthal Banshee Bend Bars__Powermadd Handguards__UFO Plastics__Nstyle Graphics__Ceet Cover__Turner Bumper

"It ain't fast without mixed gas"

do but (to buy*)
    1989 Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee
    DMC 916 Exhaust__K&N Filter__Boysen Reeds__13 Sprocket__+2+1 Lonestar J-arms__Works AT-Steelers Triple Rate Shocks__White Brothers Rims__Renthal Banshee Bend Bars__Powermadd Handguards__UFO Plastics__Nstyle Graphics__Ceet Cover__Turner Bumper

"It ain't fast without mixed gas"

jetting

Can you put a bigger jet in the carb and get by with out buying the whole jet kit. If so what size jet is best to put in a stock rhino?