Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 97 LT80

Just bought a 97 LT80

Just picked up a non-runner today. Dont know anything about them at all. I assume the oil injection still works but dont know which oil to run??? Also the guy I bought it from said that the motor would run( and that it ran last summer) But that tranmission wouldnt go, and that the nut had fallen off inside that contects the tourque converter to the motor??, if that makes sense.

any idea's?? Im going to try and work on it soon. What other things should I look for.
    Thanks
    nick

will post some pics of it soon
    OXC#199

07 yfz450

You can use any 2 stroke oil that's made for injection.
    The nut falling off is very rare. Get in side and tell us what you see. We'll go from there.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

Right on, thanks.
    OXC#199

07 yfz450

Well I got it started today. I cleaned out the carb and everything. I had to start it at the solinoid, start switch wouldnt work?. It didnt want to start right away. But after a little work and a lot of cranking it fired up. One thing I didnt understand is why no fuel would come out of the fuel valve with it turn to on, I left it on prim. Whats the purpose of the prim?? If it starts buy jumping it at the soliniod does that mean its faulty in the start switch or might there be something else?

Once I had it running for a little bit and made sure it would run I took to cover off to access the belt clutch. The first thing I noticed was when we pulled the cover off it had about one inch of oily water, or watery oil. I dont think there is suppose to have any oil in there and I drained it out. That leads me to my next question does the LT80 take any crank case oil??

I took the rear drive off to clean off all the oil and noticed a part that looked like it had been welded. What ever work that had been done to it seem ok. I think it will work fine.

I started it up to left the case open to see what the problem was and the first clutch assembly never ingaged the belt. So then next I took that assembly apart and found the Main problem. Inside the movable drive had some parts broken. I could see broken parts inside and some even fell out. I never did open it because I ran out of time. I looked up on online parts diagram and it looks like I can open it up and just buy the parts I need. I think Im going to start with the first cluth assembly and then check and see it if will engage the belt. Hopefully the back one will work.(there's alot of parts to the back one) Also there wasnt any gaskets on the case, but since it doenst hold any oil I really dont need to have one, right??

These are bad pics but this part has the broken pieces

Where the best place to get parts for the LT80's? Just how fast will one of these move? I have an 85TRX125 and I want to know how the motors will compare in power??

I'll need a battery, air filter for sure. Maybe a belt and a couple clutch parts. I dont want to spend more than $100 in parts if I can. The plastic and the rest of the quad are in good shape.

thanks
    nick
    OXC#199

07 yfz450

Your going to need a new front clutch variator, rollers and roller plate. The brass bushing is broke, correct?
    The welded piece is fine if you don't race.
    No sidecover gasket is needed. They come w/one but it's no big deal. I never replace em.
    The gearbox takes 10-40 oil. There is a bolt in front of the drive sprocket. Take the bolt out and fill till it weeps out. Fill is at the top of the case.
    You are correct, the water/oil shouldn't be there.
    The belts wear forever and work the best old and wore.
    I've seen the push buttons go bad. Use a ohm meter to check.
    Petcock::On is off till the motor creates vaccum and opens the diaphram in the petcock. Prime runs all the time.
    That's a newer machine (or a older one w/new cases). It amazes me at times the way ppl let em go to heck like this.
    Their loss,,your gain.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

Thanks LT80, you are a big help. I paid only $100 for it, its a 97 and the plastic is in good shape as well as the seat. I knew $100 was almost to good of a buy, but it came with title so I felt better about it. I didn't realize how much these are worth and how well they hold their valve.

O It think the brass bushing was still intact but the inside of the part were broken. I'll know for sure once I take it apart

thanks again
    nick
    OXC#199

07 yfz450

Nick, you stole that thing bro ! Congrats !
    Timmy!!!
    OXC #247
    2011: Scott Optics, Hinson Racing, HRP Sports, DeRisi Racing, Houser Racing, HiPer , Rath Racing, MSR........................

HAULIN DONKEY RACING !!!

found a little time and started taking apart the clutch variator tonight. I stripped 2 of the 3 screws off and may have to replace (dont think I can get the studs out) all the rollers or what ever they are called are bad. The brass bushing is broke like you said. And the whole thing was full of oil or maybe it was grease? I would like to buy a whole assembly if I can with breaking the bank. or maybe I can just get by with replacing the brass bushing and 6 rollers? would do you think? How much does the whole assembly cost??

6 rollers (outside part is plastic)

Inside part looks ok except for the broken studs

This little plastic piece was also torn a little, dont think it will hurt anything

looks like this whole part has to be replaced

I just noticed when looking at this pic, that they're some pits where the roller had worn. Should this part be replaced?

Thanks
    OXC#199

07 yfz450

hehe, all that's scrap. The grease hardens and stops the rollers from rolling thus wearing in one spot like shown.

Variator-$35-40
    rollers -$18
    Roller plate-$5
    Insulators (the lil horseshoe things) $10.
    That's the approx cost.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

got a used variator on ebay. opened it up and looks good, but the grease is old and harded up, what sould I do?? Should I clean the old stuff out and repack it with new grease?
    OXC#199

07 yfz450

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast