Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Wheel Wobble??

the only thing i can think of is possibly the tire itself being out of balance.

jack up the front end and spin the tire slowly if it's out of balance you'll know. the heavy spot should settle out toward the ground and rock back and forth.

they make little sticky lead weights for balancing tires and wheels. you could get some and try them probably sticking them to the inside of the wheel so you don't see them.
    04' 400EX
    White Bros. E2
    FMF Hi Flo Headers
    DynoJet Kit
    K&N Filter
    Hot Cams Stage1
    EHS Racing Air Box Lid
    DG Fat Series Nerfs
    Pro Armor Swing Arm Skid Plate
    Pro Taper Bars
    Maxxis Razr's on Douglas Wheels
    Pro Armor Foot Peg Maxi-Mizers
    ASV C5 Pro Clutch Lever
    LSR P-Brake block off
    Modified stock carburetor
    Sparks +6 key

Originally posted by CarGuy7a
    the only thing i can think of is possibly the tire itself being out of balance.

jack up the front end and spin the tire slowly if it's out of balance you'll know. the heavy spot should settle out toward the ground and rock back and forth.

they make little sticky lead weights for balancing tires and wheels. you could get some and try them probably sticking them to the inside of the wheel so you don't see them.
    Thanks for your help. I think your right although I tried what you said and there is a bit to much friction and not enough weight. When I spin the tires with the front lifted you can see the center tread moving left to right in the same spot every time. the left side does it a bit more than the right.

I checked the bearings and they seam tight, the spindle nut is tight and tie rod ends are tight. The only thing I haven't been able to check is the spindle for straightness, which I think is probably the culprit. I may buy one on Ebay and see if it fixes the problem. Any other ideas?
    2004 Honda 400ex
    DynoJet kit, Aluminum Air Box with cover and USI Air filter, 2 " exhaust insert, AC Pro Pegs, AC Front bumper, AC rear skid, AC A-arm skids, AC engine skid, Billit gas cap, Billit throttle and break reservior covers, ITP T-9 rims with HoleShot HD tires, Easton Pro Taper fat bars, Parking break block off with MSR AOF Clutch lever and perch, Aluminum warning label cover plates, and Air Scoops.

2004 Polaris sportsman 90
    2006 Polaris Predator 50
    2004 SkiDoo REV 600HO
    1998 SkiDoo Formula 380

i beat the ***** out of my 400, and im still riding stock spindles (original from 2000) the only thing that hasnt been bent or broken on my bike. i ride trails hard, mostly in PSF in mass Rocky as hell, bend rims all the time and get the same wobble as you
    could be the tire, only other culprit is the rim.
    Got trails?

2000 400ex, powerbomb, FMF powercore IV pipe, +2 Dura blue, AC pro-peg nerfs, 14 tooth renthal sprocket, gncc fronts / mudsharks rear, on baja's, wiseco 416 10:1 piston, hotcams stage 1, crf cam chain, valve job, xr CDI, fox floats front, elka dual rate remote rear,

"if everything seems to be going well then you obviously overlooked a major detail"

Originally posted by sideways
    i beat the ***** out of my 400, and im still riding stock spindles (original from 2000) the only thing that hasnt been bent or broken on my bike. i ride trails hard, mostly in PSF in mass Rocky as hell, bend rims all the time and get the same wobble as you
    could be the tire, only other culprit is the rim.
    Thanks. It must be the tire then because I bought this last year and it was all stock in excellent condition. I ride it hard, but never have had a roll or hit anything and the rims were new with the tires.
    2004 Honda 400ex
    DynoJet kit, Aluminum Air Box with cover and USI Air filter, 2 " exhaust insert, AC Pro Pegs, AC Front bumper, AC rear skid, AC A-arm skids, AC engine skid, Billit gas cap, Billit throttle and break reservior covers, ITP T-9 rims with HoleShot HD tires, Easton Pro Taper fat bars, Parking break block off with MSR AOF Clutch lever and perch, Aluminum warning label cover plates, and Air Scoops.

2006 Polaris Predator 50
    2004 SkiDoo REV 600HO
    1998 SkiDoo Formula 380

I'm telling you guys, it's the fact of going from a 2-ply to 6-ply tire.
    I have my original tires and original wheels.
    If I take off my new front wheel/tires and replace with the OE wheel/tires it is as smooth as can be.
    Place the 6-plys back on=busy.

Just a heads up to anybody looking at getting HD 6-ply tires.
    2013 Polaris Scrambler 850 LE
    2012 Yamaha Raptor 250
    2006 Can Am Outlander Max 800 XT
    2003 BDM Chopper

Originally posted by 2old2race
    I'm telling you guys, it's the fact of going from a 2-ply to 6-ply tire.
    I have my original tires and original wheels.
    If I take off my new front wheel/tires and replace with the OE wheel/tires it is as smooth as can be.
    Place the 6-plys back on=busy.

Just a heads up to anybody looking at getting HD 6-ply tires.
    I appreciate the input. However i think in this day and age they can produce a tire that spins smooth. I called the place I bought them from today and with no questions asked they are sending me a call tag to pick them up and then will send me another set. I though to myself that was to easy!!! They must already know there were some bad ones out there. My guess is you may have a bad set as well. I will post the results once I get my replacements. It will take a couple of weeks though.

Thanks Again.
    2004 Honda 400ex

2006 Polaris Predator 50
    2004 SkiDoo REV 600HO
    1998 SkiDoo Formula 380

yeah probably a little bit of brake drag causing it not to spin freely.

hmm that sounds to me like the tread is not cast straight on those tires from the mold. i would find the manufacturers phone number or website or something and ask them what the F is up with those tires.

if the tread isn't positioned correctly it will make it act wierd like what you have goin on.

i would rule having a bent spindle out b/c the only effect a bent spindle would have would be an altered caster camber angles.
    04' 400EX
    White Bros. E2
    FMF Hi Flo Headers
    DynoJet Kit
    K&N Filter
    Hot Cams Stage1
    EHS Racing Air Box Lid
    DG Fat Series Nerfs
    Pro Armor Swing Arm Skid Plate
    Pro Taper Bars
    Maxxis Razr's on Douglas Wheels
    Pro Armor Foot Peg Maxi-Mizers
    ASV C5 Pro Clutch Lever
    LSR P-Brake block off
    Modified stock carburetor
    Sparks +6 key

I have emailed ITP yesterday and have not heard a response from them, however as I mentioned above the dealer I bought them from on Ebay (Honda of Troy in Ohio) is sending me a call tag and exchanging them with no questions asked, which makes me think they know there were some defective tires out there. We'll see.
    2004 Honda 400ex

2006 Polaris Predator 50
    2004 SkiDoo REV 600HO
    1998 SkiDoo Formula 380

Originally posted by HondaSkidoo
    I have emailed ITP yesterday and have not heard a response from them, however as I mentioned above the dealer I bought them from on Ebay (Honda of Troy in Ohio) is sending me a call tag and exchanging them with no questions asked, which makes me think they know there were some defective tires out there. We'll see.
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....that's where I got mine from too.
    I've got a less than positive story on Honda of Troy. And, I'm sure if they frequent this site, they'll remember me.
    Their salesman gave me a price of $600 for 4 black ITP Baja Wheels with HD Holeshot tires.
    When I checked what had been charged to my card on the shipping invoice it was $680! When I called them to ask what's up, I was told I was mis-quoted and I should have been charged even more than $680!!!
    So, they in response sent me a call tag to return the tires/wheels should I have a problem with the transaction.
    Very nice of them (some might think). But in the process of shopping around I most likely put a sour taste in my local dealerships mouths by going online for my wheel set.

So, not only did Honda of Troy not stick to the price given to me over the phone, they alienated me from my local shops by their fictitious price.

I'd think many here would have gone with H o T given a price that was +$100 less than the local shops.

So, next time I will get all quotes in writing prior to placing an order! Customer service is dead in America...at least in one dealer's case.
    2013 Polaris Scrambler 850 LE
    2012 Yamaha Raptor 250
    2006 Can Am Outlander Max 800 XT
    2003 BDM Chopper

Sorry to hear you had a problem. I have not had a problem with their price or service as of yet. I have ordered several different times from them with a very positive experience.
    2004 Honda 400ex

2006 Polaris Predator 50
    2004 SkiDoo REV 600HO
    1998 SkiDoo Formula 380

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast