Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apex slipper sprocket

Apex slipper sprocket

I have seen the slipper sprocket for the Apex and Taiwanese quads, i would appreciate any feedback?

My girl still hasn't busted her tranny....we are putting in the slipper sprocket this week and the brass bushing after our next race....

There are a couple guys running them up this way and seem to be happy with them.
    You mark it with a sharpie and you can see when they come back in that it is definatly turning and working. ( at least it is doing what it is supposed to do, anyway)
    #17 2013 NEATV Prod C, 4strk C, Open C

thank you to:
    DRT Motorsports, Team Southside Polaris, Rath Racing, MSR, Nac's racing, Gaerne Boots, Lou Russo Photography, Crystyle Concepts, 537 Productions, Juniors Jerky, ASAP Plumbing, Griffin Motorsports, Adirondack Designs,

We have had good success with customer feed back on the slipper sprockets. We also have done numrous trans. with bushing only and have great feedback. The slipper is just another attempt to holding these trans together. It depends on how much you want to spend for security. The bushing mod with a trans saver is cheaper and has a great track record.
    Special thanks to 11-12 Sponsors

East Coast Performance

The slippers do work as advertised but... the problem of the sprocket and shaft wear will appear shortly after install if the slipper function is used. The problem we and others are having is that the sprocket is machined so thin at the shaft contact point that the sprocket hole gets worn rather quickly, then becomes off centered. What happens next is chain whip with an off centered sprocket and then you throw chains. At the start of a moto all can look well and by the end the chain won't stay on. My advice is if you are going to use one remove/inspect and retorque after EVERY moto. We wasted one after one practice session and two motos. After I machined another sprocket to fix the elongated hole, I check it regularly, it's wearing too and will soon be replaced. I also recommend torquing it a bit tighter than the recommendations.

They do work, just keep an eye on things.
    WPSA 90 CVT #2
    07' APEX 90MXR
    Probably not the fastest, but hopefully fast enough...

Originally posted by TeamSimsRacing
    The slippers do work as advertised but... the problem of the sprocket and shaft wear will appear shortly after install if the slipper function is used. The problem we and others are having is that the sprocket is machined so thin at the shaft contact point that the sprocket hole gets worn rather quickly, then becomes off centered. What happens next is chain whip with an off centered sprocket and then you throw chains. At the start of a moto all can look well and by the end the chain won't stay on. My advice is if you are going to use one remove/inspect and retorque after EVERY moto. We wasted one after one practice session and two motos. After I machined another sprocket to fix the elongated hole, I check it regularly, it's wearing too and will soon be replaced. I also recommend torquing it a bit tighter than the recommendations.

They do work, just keep an eye on things.

I have to agree 110%. They will work, but too many variables. If you wreck/break a sprocket you need a special one from what I've heard. Make sure you have an extra. For $300 I put the bushing in and have an extra set of gears and still have money left over.
    "You gotta pin it to win it!"

08 Raptor 250SE #21
    08 DRX2 50 (stock) #22
    04 Pred 90 (stock)
    04 1/2 Sportsman 500

Sponsors:
    Linda's Lil Angel's Childcare(Mom), G-Force Powersports(drrnation.com)
    Special Thanks to: Colsch Cycle "woodsracer22" (engine builder)

Originally posted by tireman43
    I have to agree 110%. They will work, but too many variables. If you wreck/break a sprocket you need a special one from what I've heard. Make sure you have an extra. For $300 I put the bushing in and have an extra set of gears and still have money left over.
    Unfortunatley , until your cases get ruined, or the bearing holes get worn out.
    For local racing we are not using the slipper sprocket. But.... most everyone else with uphill whoops , rough tracks to where wheels break loose and then grab traction do run the sprocket.

We have quite a few of the kids in the TQRA running them because there were way to many kids trashing gears midway through a race. With the slipper clutches installed we have a lot more little ones finishing the races instead of being pulled back to your trailer wondering what happened. You do have to re-torque after each ride....
    Laeger T pin KTM 540 Hybrid
    Full JRD CRF 450 Hybrid
    Full Walsh 430 Puma Project
    2007 DRR 70 with all the long travel goodies

Anyone looking to buy one of these slipper sprokets? I bought one and decided not to use it.. I listed it in the for sale forum..

Davidkeys1@gmail.com

Just to give an update on the slipper sprocket: I removed one from a Pro Mx on a competetors quad for them this weekend because the teeth broke off. I'm not trying to bash them but it's not worth $300.
    "You gotta pin it to win it!"

08 Raptor 250SE #21
    08 DRX2 50 (stock) #22
    04 Pred 90 (stock)
    04 1/2 Sportsman 500

Sponsors:
    Linda's Lil Angel's Childcare(Mom), G-Force Powersports(drrnation.com)
    Special Thanks to: Colsch Cycle "woodsracer22" (engine builder)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast