Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hp on a 400ex

hp on a 400ex

ok so whats the hp on a stock 400ex i thought it was 26 but i wasnt sure. what could i do to the 400ex to get more power out of it with out engine mods

You could start out with a K&N filter, jets, and a slip-on or full system exhaust. After that get a Hotcam if you still want more power. And by the way I believe stock is around 27.5 or 28.
    2000 400ex

I did exactly that with my 07 and it made a big difference.

HMF slip on Dyno jet stage 1 and K&N. It was great bang for the buck. I wish I would have had it dyno'ed but I think a 5 hp increase is the min I got out of it. I hope to dial it in and dyno to find out.

I have heard stock is 26-28 depends on who you ask. Don't know why there are many different answers, but I think you get more HP in the cold. So maybe thats the reason for the range.

Originally posted by red200040ex
    You could start out with a K&N filter, jets, and a slip-on or full system exhaust. After that get a Hotcam if you still want more power. And by the way I believe stock is around 27.5 or 28.

you can make your ex faster without any intake, motor, or exhaust mods at all.

here is how:
    the stock suspension cannot handle the power of the ex in stock form. it needs upgraded before anything else. better front shocks, revalve of the rear/and or gt thunder/derisi rear linkage. a steering stabilizer and the bike will be a totally different machine that you will be able to go faster on in stock engine form. once all that is done...then you can hit up the intake/exhaust mods...

hp isn't everything...if you can't use the hp you have, there is no reason to add more to it...

suspension!!!

hp isn't everything...if you can't use the hp you have, there is no reason to add more to it...
    I couldn't agree more! IMO suspension is the best upgrade you could get for your bike. You can corner faster, keep your front end on the ground longer, come off jumps faster, take whoops better...the list could go on for days.
    Get yourself a nice pipe, some nerfs, new bars, a rev box, then start saving for suspension. Stock Honda motors are super reliable. Why not utilize that reliablity factor, and make the bike better from the outside in.
    CRASH COUNTER -- 7

'05 400ex
    Yoshimura __ Houser Long Travel +1 __ Elka Elite Quad Rate __ IMS Roll __ Pro Taper SE __ SLC Quad Customs +2 Swinger __ 450R carb __ Maiers __ GenX Atv __ K&N __ Outerwear __ UM __ Renthal __ Skat Trak Haulers __ T-9 Bajas w/ Razrs __ Blingstar John Natalie Victory __ Pro Armor __ Big Gun Rev box __

Re: suspension!!!

Originally posted by buster024
    I couldn't agree more! IMO suspension is the best upgrade you could get for your bike. You can corner faster, keep your front end on the ground longer, come off jumps faster, take whoops better...the list could go on for days.
    Get yourself a nice pipe, some nerfs, new bars, a rev box, then start saving for suspension. Stock Honda motors are super reliable. Why not utilize that reliablity factor, and make the bike better from the outside in.
    you agree but then you tell him to do the intake/exhuast mods before doing the suspension...you contradict yourself with that one...

This is my title its says 34.2 hp I'm assuming that's at the crank though.Does any one else have a title to verify that the 400ex does indeed put out 34.2 hp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (2003)426ex,edelbrock carb,maxis razors,dirt digger clutch,ported and polished,Kibblewhite valve springs and Black Diamond valves,Omf air scoops,Renthal all diamond grips hard compound,Whitebrothers E-series pipe,Hot cam stage 1,Hot Rods crank,Wiesco 11:1 piston,HD CRF timming chain,Pro Armor front bumper,Omf skid plates, K&N air fiter,Outerwears Prefilter,LA sleeve,Longhorn atv high bend big bars,AMR monster coil,08'450r heel guards & pegs,Streamline 7 way stabilizer,450r front shocks,Primary Drive gold 520 race chain,LSR 250r axle,ss front brake lines,07 sub frame, pretty much just engine work right now, top to bottom new.Would really like to convert my 03' plastics to 08' plastics.FOR SALE!!! PM ME FOR DETAILS.THANKS

Stock 400ex has 27.2 HP at the rear wheels.

I rode my 400EX stock for 2 years on a private track, and got to a point where I couldn't go any faster. So I put a 440 kit in it.......ya know the works, and cut down the time per lap about 3 seconds. I slapped on Works Tripple rates on front revalved the rear & Bamm another 7 seconds off my lap time. Suspension made the bigger difference.

busted

you agree but then you tell him to do the intake/exhuast mods before doing the suspension...you contradict yourself with that one...
    As soon as I hit the send button, I thought of that. I guess what I was truly talking about was not touching the engine compartment. I believe that intake/exhaust truly enhance the "health" of my vehicle while at the same time improving it's performance. I'm not sure that a 416, 426, 44o etc. truly help your quads reliablity. Nerfs & bars increase my safety, and I guess I'm cheating a little with the rev box.
    So, that being said, I guess IMO intake/exhaust & safety features first, suspension second, motor third.
    CRASH COUNTER -- 7

'05 400ex
    Yoshimura __ Houser Long Travel +1 __ Elka Elite Quad Rate __ IMS Roll __ Pro Taper SE __ SLC Quad Customs +2 Swinger __ 450R carb __ Maiers __ GenX Atv __ K&N __ Outerwear __ UM __ Renthal __ Skat Trak Haulers __ T-9 Bajas w/ Razrs __ Blingstar John Natalie Victory __ Pro Armor __ Big Gun Rev box __

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast