Thread: how too change oil on 2005 400 ex

how too change oil on 2005 400 ex

just bought a 2005 400ex and didnt get the manuel,just wanna make sure i do it right.where are the oil plugs for the engine?how much does manuel say to add?also is the tranny oil and motor seperate or all in one as.thanks.

Straight from Honda's owner link:

Drain the Engine Oil:
    1. With the ATV on level ground, start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.
    2. Stop the engine, place an oil drain pan under the oil tank and crankcase. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick, the drain bolt on the oil tank and drain bolt on the left crankcase.

Install a New Engine Oil Filter:
    1. Remove the oil filter cover by removing the bolts. Let the remaining oil drain out. Discard the oil filter (3) in an approved manner (see "You & the Environment" below).
    2. Check that the oil filter cover O-ring is in good condition and then install a new oil filter. Use only the Honda genuine oil filter or a filter of equivalent quality specified for your model. Using the wrong Honda filter or a non-Honda filter which is not of equivalent quality may cause engine damage.
    3. Reposition the spring to the engine crankcase and install a new oil filter with the rubber seal facing out, away from the engine. You will see the "OUTSIDE (TOWARDS FILTER COVER)" mark on the filter body, near the seal.

Add Engine Oil:
    1. After the oil has drained, make sure the sealing washers on the drain bolts are in good condition. If necessary, replace the sealing washers.
    2. Reinstall the drain bolts and tighten to the specified torque:
    Oil tank drain bolt:
    14 lbf-ft (20 N-m, 2.0 kgf-m)
    Crankcase drain bolt:
    18 lbf-ft (25 N-m, 2.5 kgf-m)
    3. Fill the oil tank with the recommended grade oil approximately:
    1.8 US qt (1.7 L)
    4. Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick
    5. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.
    6. Stop the engine, wait 2-3 minutes and check the oil level. Make sure the oil is between the UPPER and LOWER level marks on the oil filler cap/dipstick. If necessary, add more oil but do not overfill.
    7. Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick.
    8. Check for oil leaks.
    08 Limited Edition LTR450

how critical are the torque specs. I dont have a torque wrench...do I need to buy one? Does walmart have them? There isn't any hardware stores in the town where I am currently, but I need to do an oil change.

Originally posted by CrewCab
    Straight from Honda's owner link:

Drain the Engine Oil:
    1. With the ATV on level ground, start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.
    2. Stop the engine, place an oil drain pan under the oil tank and crankcase. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick, the drain bolt on the oil tank and drain bolt on the left crankcase.

Install a New Engine Oil Filter:
    1. Remove the oil filter cover by removing the bolts. Let the remaining oil drain out. Discard the oil filter (3) in an approved manner (see "You & the Environment" below).
    2. Check that the oil filter cover O-ring is in good condition and then install a new oil filter. Use only the Honda genuine oil filter or a filter of equivalent quality specified for your model. Using the wrong Honda filter or a non-Honda filter which is not of equivalent quality may cause engine damage.
    3. Reposition the spring to the engine crankcase and install a new oil filter with the rubber seal facing out, away from the engine. You will see the "OUTSIDE (TOWARDS FILTER COVER)" mark on the filter body, near the seal.

Add Engine Oil:
    1. After the oil has drained, make sure the sealing washers on the drain bolts are in good condition. If necessary, replace the sealing washers.
    2. Reinstall the drain bolts and tighten to the specified torque:
    Oil tank drain bolt:
    14 lbf-ft (20 N-m, 2.0 kgf-m)
    Crankcase drain bolt:
    18 lbf-ft (25 N-m, 2.5 kgf-m)
    3. Fill the oil tank with the recommended grade oil approximately:
    1.8 US qt (1.7 L)
    4. Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick
    5. Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.
    6. Stop the engine, wait 2-3 minutes and check the oil level. Make sure the oil is between the UPPER and LOWER level marks on the oil filler cap/dipstick. If necessary, add more oil but do not overfill.
    7. Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick.
    8. Check for oil leaks.

if your expierianced enough just tighten it till its snug but be cautious there made to strip so you dont harm inner engine stuff also you need to replace the oil filter each change? how much does a 400ex filter cost?
    '07 250ex
    20 inch razr tires
    ITP C-series sport wheel

'03 kawasaki bayou 250- Cleaned up
    '04 yamaha breeze-sisters

BUY A HONDA SERIVCE MANUEL
    www.6gearmotorsports.com

Originally posted by 07250ex
    if your expierianced enough just tighten it till its snug but be cautious there made to strip so you dont harm inner engine stuff also you need to replace the oil filter each change? how much does a 400ex filter cost?
    Fram are $4 at wal-mart. Some people are skeptical about fram though, but I use them and they work fine.

You don't need a torque wrench. Just to were they are tight.
    04' 406ex- Some goodies done too it...

06' Lt-R450- Some goodies

ride hard man
    i couldnt have said it better myself just tighten it till its snug and tight
    but dont bear down on it
    and fram has always worked fine for me
    if u rape a prostitute is that considered shoplifting

05 400ex
    hmf full exhaust*candy red*
    itp holeshots
    msr handlebars
    k&n airfilter
    jetted
    bought it stock 3 weeks ago

1988 chevrolet silverado 1500 with
    6"rcd suspension lift,35" super swamper thornbirds,flowtech headers,2 super-40 flowmasters true dual exhaust,edelbrock throttle body,aluminum heads,richmond 3.73 gears,K&N cold air intake,custom interior,red/orange*rorange* paint,westin bullbar w/2 kc highlites,kenwood deck,2 12" planet audio subs,
    ^^^^^^work in progress^^^^^^