Thread: Open Hole under the rear differential on 250ex?

Open Hole under the rear differential on 250ex?

This is unusual. I changed my gear oil a few weeks back and noticed a leak dripping from the skidplate. I figured the drain plug worked loose so I took the skid off and there is oil coming out of a hole in the center. Its almost like a weep hole or something. The hole is not threaded and I can see shiny steel if I look in with a flashlight. Can anyone tell me whats going on here or identify what it is. The leak is very slow but im afraid to let my girl drive it cuz I dont want smegma getting in there.

Here is a pic but keep in mind I stuck a small rubber plug in there to stop the leak.
    The hole is just to the left of the drain plug.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3614/1003388sy9.jpg
    03 460EX Stroker with 05 Front Clip Conversion
    11:1, Stage 3 Stroker Cam, 450R Carb,
    HMF Bill Ballance Series Pipe
    DG Nerfs & ITP Wheels w/ Razr2
    PRM Rear Bumper, Moose Front Bumper, Full Skids, 450R Shocks
    Gunmetal Hammer finish painted frame

02 TRX250EX with Big Bore Kit so my girl can follow me to the pit.

My Truck: 95 Chevy Tahoe. 12" Lift and 38" Mickey Thompson Tires with 383 stroker.

i'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow.

man, my 250, and my moms 250 has the same problem with the engine oil bolt. It is a very slow leak. Im thinking I could have lost the washer? I dont know, but it sucks....
    2005 TRX 400ex
    Few mods

2005 Raptor 80 (bro's)

92% of teens have switched to rap music, if your part of the other 8% put this in your sig.

Got a Honda ATV? We need these forums rolling: Check out

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/index.php

(Put Jbacon for referrer)

JBacon, you need to add a new Crush washer to the drain bolt next time you change the oil. You can get one from the parts counter at your dealer.

Green95hoe, I had a 250ex and never do recall ever seeing that hole next to the drain bolt, but I also never got under it and looked up. I wouldn't ride it till it's fixed right. Let us know what you find out. It makes me want to go to the dealer and look under a new one.

Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
    JBacon, you need to add a new Crush washer to the drain bolt next time you change the oil. You can get one from the parts counter at your dealer.

Green95hoe, I had a 250ex and never do recall ever seeing that hole next to the drain bolt, but I also never got under it and looked up. I wouldn't ride it till it's fixed right. Let us know what you find out. It makes me want to go to the dealer and look under a new one.
    Ill try it, thanks.
    2005 TRX 400ex
    Few mods

2005 Raptor 80 (bro's)

92% of teens have switched to rap music, if your part of the other 8% put this in your sig.

Got a Honda ATV? We need these forums rolling: Check out

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/index.php

(Put Jbacon for referrer)

Its just odd cuz I dont ever remember it being there but its definetly supposed to be there and as I said there are no threads so its not like there is supposed to be a bolt in there. Here is another pic with the plug out. You can see the oil starting to leak out already.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7762/1003391jc5.jpg
    03 460EX Stroker with 05 Front Clip Conversion
    11:1, Stage 3 Stroker Cam, 450R Carb,
    HMF Bill Ballance Series Pipe
    DG Nerfs & ITP Wheels w/ Razr2
    PRM Rear Bumper, Moose Front Bumper, Full Skids, 450R Shocks
    Gunmetal Hammer finish painted frame

02 TRX250EX with Big Bore Kit so my girl can follow me to the pit.

My Truck: 95 Chevy Tahoe. 12" Lift and 38" Mickey Thompson Tires with 383 stroker.

That hole also lets in water into the rear brake drum, causing the rear brakes to suck. I tapped out the hole in mine and put a bolt in it...better rear brake performance. I dont think it should leak fluid...that would mean you would have a leaky seal in between your rear brake drum and gear case.