Thread: cam chain

cam chain

first off just wanna say hey new to the forum i ride a minted out 86250r, but my brother rides a 99 400ex. all the threads on the head were messed up so we just got a different head that has new seats, valve, and seals done by a shop. also i am putting in a stage 2 hot cam. well i was trying to time it and when ever i have it set i let the tensor tighten up and it pulls it back to far so i moved it forward one tooth and tried again and its still off. i was thinking the cam chain is stretched what do u guys think. i can take pics tom. and i was reading about the crf450 chain what all do i have to do to run that..... thnk u

I used a 02 crf450 cam chain and it just replaced the old no modifications needed
    2012 NECC AA Class Champion
    2011 NECC 2nd place AA
    2010 NECC 2nd Place A Open
    2009 NECC B Class Champion
    2013 Sponsors: Leumas Enterprises
    Moose Racing
    sixsixone Ind.

do i need to get new guids if i put the 450 chain in

if you pull the chain on the side of the guide that dont move put the gear on and have that one side tight and line up the marks, it shouldn't move when you tighten up the slack side, put all slack on the adjuster side, then install adjuster there isn't any way for it to move the marks with this method

a chain that's kicked and stiff is much worse!! the chain will stretch some this is why there is an adjuster,its not completely abnormal to be off a little on the marks... here is a link to a complete engine build but there is a part that shows the cam chain

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=449203