Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine inovations ??? !!!

Cool Engine inovations ??? !!!

What I think will be the grad finale will be if they use a reverse cylinder head. Like on the Cannondale.

Also I wonder if they'll adopt BMW's clutch idea. On the new 450 BMW dirt bikes the clutch is directly mounted to the crank shaft. No counter sprockets. Equaling less weight and a shorter engine design. That way they can place the motor more forwards or backwards depending on weight distribution.

I think power will fine. If it truely is lighter than the rest, less HP wont matter that much. Hell, my 250R right now would go tons faster if I shaved a few pounds off of my fat butt.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Well from the pictures I have seen online and looking at the blacked out parts on the web, it looks like it will not be a rear combustion motor like Cannondale. The airbox is in the underseat position and in the blacked out parts where you can spin the bike around to look at what is released, you can see the header exiting the front.

Doesn't look like they adapted the pivot drive like BMW though.

TPR

Your right about the fat but part. ahaha

Thanks..............JERKO440

I guess it's better to be a smart @$$ than a dumb @$$
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
    Is this where the engine's sprocket is concentric with the swingarm pivot?
    2004 Yamaha YFZ450

Originally posted by rpyfz450
    Is this where the engine's sprocket is concentric with the swingarm pivot?
    Yes.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
    Well from the pictures I have seen online and looking at the blacked out parts on the web, it looks like it will not be a rear combustion motor like Cannondale. The airbox is in the underseat position and in the blacked out parts where you can spin the bike around to look at what is released, you can see the header exiting the front.

TPR
    look like it would be hard to change the front sprocket

SFC RET
    06 Outlaw
    07 540 Outlaw
    00 DS730

I'm surprised BMW did that on a modern machine. That design transmits engine torque to the rear suspension. Avoiding this is the reason why all manufacturers place the sprocket axle lower in the chassis than the swing arm pivot.
    2004 Yamaha YFZ450

Originally posted by rpyfz450
    I'm surprised BMW did that on a modern machine. That design transmits engine torque to the rear suspension. Avoiding this is the reason why all manufacturers place the sprocket axle lower in the chassis than the swing arm pivot.

Actually if you read the suspension theory threads and talk to some respectable tuners they will all tell you the exact oposite. Keeping the sprocket in line with the suspension motion removes all the chain torque from the suspension. The chain and drive now works on one similar curve with no spikes. On bikes now there is a spike point where the chain is actually tighter in one spot than others. This "spike" in the motion curve puts added pressure on the suspension. Other Manufacturers haven't used it do to the isses of removing and changing the countershaft sprocket. BMW fixed that by making the counter sprocket shaft hollow and the axle runs through it. There is a great deal of good information out on the design.
    05 TRX450R
    JD Performance +2 a-arms
    LSR +3 axle
    Douglas Ultimate Beadlocks
    Maxxis Razr MX front and rear tires
    R.A.D axle locknut
    40MM FCR carb with Noss Adapter
    Hotcams Stage 2 cam
    Sparks Racing filter kit
    Free HRC kit mods
    SRP fuel screw
    Dr D. Race slip-on
    Trail Tech bar mounts
    Renthal Twinwall Bars
    Works Connection alum. throttle tube
    ASV C5 unbrakeable clutch lever
    Maier vented hood
    PE brake block off
    Pro Armor tether switch
    CRF push button kill switch
    AC nerf bars
    GT Thunder revaled suspension

Originally posted by motox450
    Actually if you read the suspension theory threads and talk to some respectable tuners they will all tell you the exact oposite. Keeping the sprocket in line with the suspension motion removes all the chain torque from the suspension. The chain and drive now works on one similar curve with no spikes. On bikes now there is a spike point where the chain is actually tighter in one spot than others. This "spike" in the motion curve puts added pressure on the suspension. Other Manufacturers haven't used it do to the isses of removing and changing the countershaft sprocket. BMW fixed that by running the counter sproket is hollow and the axle runs through it. There is a great deal of good information out on the design.
    I have to totallly.....

agreee with that. This has been a problem that has been known for years and BMW is the first (that I'm aware of) to go forward with a design such as this to correct it.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast