Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear lugs are a MUTHA

rear lugs are a MUTHA

I have actually partially stripped the head off one. I was using the socket and giving it ALL I had and it wouldn't move. I am going to take it to my buddies with an impact to see if that works. The only thing I can think of is grinding the stud out from the back. The lugs look like they have some kind of locker on the outside ring.

What are my options? How do I prevent this from happening again?
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

AGREED

I had the same problem! Those baby's are on there. I got all but one (of course) by using my foot and alot of cussing! I almost stripped the one but got lucky and finally got it. Once they are free they will be easier the next time. If you have not bought rims then check out www.treadepot.com - Cheapest prices I've ever found!
    Wannabe Racer Dad of:
    #34 Logan Dusenberry
    2014 AMA/ATVA 450 2X National Champion
    ALL OUT RACING
    2015 CanAm JB/Mt. Dew Live Wire Amateur Race Team
    2014 Sponsors: Extreme-Tec ATV, Makson Incorporated, Corrosion Specialties, Rath Racing, Walsh Racecraft, SF Racing, Baldwin Motosports, Apex Powersports - New Philadelphia, Ohio, Action Extreme Sports - New Philadelphia, Ohio,

Impact gun is the best way to remove lugs or use a socket with the fewest sides

You have to kind of break the seal on them with a quick hit...solid pressure doesn't seem to always work

Re: AGREED

Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
    I had the same problem! Those baby's are on there. I got all but one (of course) by using my foot and alot of cussing! I almost stripped the one but got lucky and finally got it. Once they are free they will be easier the next time. If you have not bought rims then check out www.treadepot.com - Cheapest prices I've ever found!

Check out www.motosport.com for better wheel prices on the 10X5 wheels... $36.95 includes 2 day shipping to anywhere in the U.S.

TD prices do not include freight which appears to be an additional charge of about $7.50 per wheel for ground service, so it would be about $5-$6 more with slower shipping service.

It is still a good resource if you are in a jam or need a special size...

I was using a 6 sided socket
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

do your self a favor and purchase a 3/8 cordless impact , you will wonder how youve done it so long with out one , its the most used tool in my arsenal.

I think that is a great suggestion

Quick fix w/o buying an impact wrench. I took a 24" steel pipe and put in on the end of the ratchet to make it longer and they came right off. But I do not recommend tightening them this way!!!
    Adam

Make sure you check out Breezewood Proving Grounds

I only had a 18" piece and that is what stripped my lug. It is mostly stripped with a portion of the back of the lug about 1/4 is OK.

Originally posted by drr5
    do your self a favor and purchase a 3/8 cordless impact , you will wonder how youve done it so long with out one , its the most used tool in my arsenal.

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one and you would to kill me to take it away from me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast