Thread: Quick update on my recent electrical issue:

Quick update on my recent electrical issue:

2 hours from home (and tools);
    Running fine stopped for lunch, no start, no neutral light. Quick visual didn't notice anything...came home disgusted.
    Beer drinking followed...
    Today, I went over the wiring carefully. Under the seat I finally noticed that the battery retainer and its screws were gone. On closer inspection the ground cable was broken at the battery connection! I couldn't find the battery bracket, it must have vanished with the screws.
    I am under warranty (<60 days old), so we'll see what they say
    at the dealer.
    Parts are under $20, so cost is not the big deal, but shouldn't the quad have been less susceptible to this while trail riding?
    NotSoYoungAnymore Nor Cal ATV
    más tequila y los caballos frescos para mis hombres

RnJ Racing, Teixeira Tech Racing, Precision Racing Products,
    Spy Optics, MDK Motorsports, DWT, SixSixOne

HAVING WORKED FOR A HONDA DEALER, AND SEEING THE GUYS THAT ASSEMBLE THESE MACHINES OUT OF THE CRATE (KIDS, NOT TECHS) I WILL TELL YOU THE FIRST THING I ALWAYS DO WHEN I GET A NEW MACHINE HOME IS GO OVER EVERYTHING FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.

THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED ON THE TRAILS, OR ON A COURSE RACING. GOOD LUCK WITH THE DEALER. MOST OF THEM ARE LONG ON EXCUSES AND SHORT ON SOLUTIONS!!

Well put. My bad for not checking this. I do go over brakes, oil, etc. before every ride. This will be added to the list.
    I am looking new 400-450 quads from several mfrs, and I will be sure to let them know that when I go in tomorrow. My local dealer has a good rep, but this will be the test.
    IMO, dealers who will support you will do so even for the littlest issue.
    Thankfully, I didn't take a trail break 5-10 miles in!

HA. that happend to mine about a month ago. It wouldn't start and i'm just kind of like "wtf?" I just rigged it up with something from a hardware store. It seems to work, it was cheap, and i didn't have to wait for parts to come in.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me too. What did you use plumber's tape (soft metal band with holes in it)? I may do that so I can ride today. What a waste of a three day weekend.

nope, it was just something i found that looked like the oem connector.

Good News! My local dealer is assuming responsibility for the battery braket not being installed securely enough.
    While it would not be considered a 'warranty' issue, they did the setup and will resolve the problem. They have to order the bracket, however.
    I am impressed, I half expected to be told that I should inspect the quad before riding (even under the seat?). BTW I do perform a visual inspection on the quad and check brakes and such before I ride. Just don't check every screw and connection ala chineese quads.
    In the meantime I found an 8" stainless hose clamp that fits aorund the battery holder and secures the battery. I also found an electrical connector that I installed on the ground wire and connected it to the battery.
    I'm mobile again!