Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering and Handling Discussion.

using 4-1 offset front wheels is an advantage but the front is 2 inchs narrower than when using 3-2 offset. so would there still be an advantage using 4-1 offset front wheels and wider front hubs to get the width (not wheel spacers)?

you have to think of your whole steering suspension as a whole peice. thats really where the 4+1 wheels shine is when you have the extended a-arms to get the width back. with that said, some still prefer the 4+1 on stock a-arms, but i really dont prefer one or the other if its all stock otherwise.

if you got extended hubs/spacers you would negate any benefit you got from the 4+1 wheels as the purpose of the wheels is to get the center of the wheel as close to the balljoint as possible, and spacers/hubs do just the opposite
    Planning a comeback...

Great thead 400exrider707, I just read it and it was very informative. Someone should sticky this if it hasn't been already. I don't see any moderators posting or commenting. I just find this unusual in a quality thread like this. Good job and a lot of nice work.
    00' 400EX
    semi loaded

Marcus You will be Missed. See you on the other side my friend. R.I.P.

Originally posted by tim colston
    Great thead 400exrider707, I just read it and it was very informative. Someone should sticky this if it hasn't been already. I don't see any moderators posting or commenting. I just find this unusual in a quality thread like this. Good job and a lot of nice work.
    It was stickied shortly after the original post was made.

June 5th 2007 at 10:30am pacific time to be exact
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Originally posted by tim colston
    Thanks Tim, been stickied for a while though haha
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

Why would walsh make the arms of a Yamaha yfz 450 0.5 forward, if it is not better?

And would the framegeometrie of a KFX450 or Honda be better than a yamaha because they angled there front-end up more?

Originally posted by frank mb
    Why would walsh make the arms of a Yamaha yfz 450 0.5 forward, if it is not better?

And would the framegeometrie of a KFX450 or Honda be better than a yamaha because they angled there front-end up more?
    I'm sure walsh has their reasons, and I'm not saying it wont handle better. I really only have enough seat time on 04/05 honda 450R's to comment on front end setups. Mathematically from what I understood the Banshee is the only quad to truly benefit from +1 forward arms. Perhaps the YFZ can too, I'm not really sure, haven't done the math myself.

Now when you say angle the front end up more, are you talking about the front of the frame? The approach angle of the frame so to speak is an anti-dive thing. its to keep the front end up and from plowing into everything, it also forces the wheels to travel backwards slightly through uptravel, to combat diving when going through say whoops or a ditch. The angle of that is determined by the manufacturer, and my guess is they base it on what they think most of their purchasers will use the machine for. There is no set degree that should be at, it will vary with rider/terrain and the such.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock

powerband

RIP 606

Yes that is what in ment to say. Here in Holland we have big holes in our tracks when racing, I will try to find a picture. Because of those holes I thought maybe with a different angle I could get better over those holes/whoops.

Originally posted by frank mb
    Yes that is what in ment to say. Here in Holland we have big holes in our tracks when racing, I will try to find a picture. Because of those holes I thought maybe with a different angle I could get better over those holes/whoops.
    Just short of redesigning a whole new frame, you can always run bigger tires. They will help you roll through larger stuff easier. Think of it like a pickup truck and a monster truck, which will go over a car easier... the monster truck because the tires are so much bigger. Granted this is an extreme example, but it helps you get an idea. This is why ITP came out with their 19" rear holeshot and 20" front tires which now seem to be industry standard fronts.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock

powerband

RIP 606

I run already 23's in front and also 23's in the rear. Next year I want to run 22's in the rear because it's better, but I don't have an explanation for it. on my website you can see some pictures about different races here in Holland, a few on the hard packed and some on the sand. FVMracing pictures

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast