Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering and Handling Discussion.

Originally posted by pro-rider46
    and how about how steering stabilizers work after the rear topic. like how they work. and the differences between sticktype stabilizers and the other stabilizers. that would be great. good read by the way

Really all a stabilizer is, is a shock for the turning motion of your handlebars/steering stem. It literally dampens the force going through the bars, much like a shock dampens the force from the ground to your atv frame. Works the same way. Difference between a stick and puck are just how they're built. I cant really say that a puck is way better than a stick, because I've never used one, but this is what I've heard. I personally use a stick type and have been happy with it. They also sell rebuildable stick types, which cost more than a traditional stick type. Puck ones are all rebuildable as far as I know. They usually have an adjustment that would be similar to a compression adjustment on a shock. Turn it to a harder setting and the damping force required to push the the shaft through the "shock body" is increased, thus not letting the bars be jerked as hard.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

well off to experimenting again for my bike,first setup rear was a gt link / axis shock ,results pretty nice ride ,worked with 20 inch tires but mx with 18 tires frame would drag a lot,setup #2 was a holz xc link /fox podium shock,worked a lot better for mx than the gt for me and frame didnt drag anymore,i just got a complete holz mx front and rear suspention with fox podium shocks,the rear has a cr500 type link like my old laeger 250r ,the fronts are 2.5 wide with ti springed fox podium shocks,pushing on the bike i think im finnally getting close or even better than my laeger was now,i have a supermoto this weekend and a mx race weekend after and will post what i think of new setup after track tested,as for steering dampers i like the stick type but the rotary puck type i like a little better,im running a wer now and am not having problem blowing seals like did with stick type
    05 450r

Originally posted by trx250r180
    well off to experimenting again for my bike,first setup rear was a gt link / axis shock ,results pretty nice ride ,worked with 20 inch tires but mx with 18 tires frame would drag a lot,setup #2 was a holz xc link /fox podium shock,worked a lot better for mx than the gt for me and frame didnt drag anymore,i just got a complete holz mx front and rear suspention with fox podium shocks,the rear has a cr500 type link like my old laeger 250r ,the fronts are 2.5 wide with ti springed fox podium shocks,pushing on the bike i think im finnally getting close or even better than my laeger was now,i have a supermoto this weekend and a mx race weekend after and will post what i think of new setup after track tested,as for steering dampers i like the stick type but the rotary puck type i like a little better,im running a wer now and am not having problem blowing seals like did with stick type
    Glad to hear you're getting somewhere with it. What GT link were you using and what was the axis setup for? Stock swingarm? Give us some more info on both setups that you tried in the rear. What weight and riding style they were setup for and what links you used. GT Thunder sells about 6 different linkages for the 450R.

Post a pic of your new setup it sounds sweet.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock

powerband

RIP 606

new rear setup
    Attached Images Attached Images
    05 450r

rear susp 2
    05 450r

front end holz +2.5
    05 450r

close up holz front
    05 450r

Originally posted by 400exrider707
    Glad to hear you're getting somewhere with it. What GT link were you using and what was the axis setup for? Stock swingarm? Give us some more info on both setups that you tried in the rear. What weight and riding style they were setup for and what links you used. GT Thunder sells about 6 different linkages for the 450R.

Post a pic of your new setup it sounds sweet.
    the gt link i was running i found out was a cross country link ,and it worked real good with 20 inch tires but 18 inch tires had some frame draggage on mx track ,the second link i ran was a holz xc link , i liked it better it is similar to lonestar dc6 mx linkage and had a little skid plate on it ,i really liked this setup with a fox shock valved at 200 pd rider,my newest setup the rear is almost a copy of my laeger 250r the shock is more up and down not laid back so no air box clearance issues real similar to a walsh setup but linkage doesnt hang down as low, the holz front looks real similar to a roll desighn except lower arms arent bent down,they use a 18 3/4 long shock with 5 3/4 stroke which gives all the travel of a long shock a-arm and more ground clearance
    05 450r

Originally posted by 400exrider707
    On a 400ex you have no way of adjusting the compression on stock front shocks. About all you can do is adjust the preload collars a little stiffer If you have any questions on anything I will be more than happy to try to answer them. Thanks.
    I have a question about those 5 way preload collars ... how do you actully change them like, and do they do anything iwould assume not because if you move a to the next collar which say extends the coil length the way the shock is will just be more mushy in the begging but the height will not change because off the added shock sag from changing the preload ??
    '07 250ex
    20 inch razr tires
    ITP C-series sport wheel

'03 kawasaki bayou 250- Cleaned up
    '04 yamaha breeze-sisters

Originally posted by 07250ex
    I have a question about those 5 way preload collars ... how do you actully change them like, and do they do anything iwould assume not because if you move a to the next collar which say extends the coil length the way the shock is will just be more mushy in the begging but the height will not change because off the added shock sag from changing the preload ??
    Take your front end off the ground to make it easiest. I've seen screwdrivers used with a hammer to turn them, but not exactly the easiest thing in the world. I use the tool made for it. I believe Motion Pro sells one in RMATV. Changing that, in my experience, offers no difference in ride/handling. More or less useless/selling point.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock

powerband

RIP 606

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast