Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering and Handling Discussion.

Steering and Handling Discussion.

DISCLAIMER: If you do not want to learn anything, or feel you are not going to have anything productive to say in this thread, dont even bother reading below this line, this is for people who like to add factual information, and for people who are in the dark on the subject and want to learn something. Please feel free to ask questions or add more technical information to this discussion at any time.

I am going to use this thread as an open area for members to discuss steering and suspension and how certain pieces effect others. There has been an overwhelming number of people asking about wheel spacers recently, as well, more than a few talking about diamond J custom widening kits. I feel like it is unfair to not explain the theories behind these "add-ons" to people who dont understand them. We all had to learn at some point. Some people get offended when then realize that the inexpensive route isn't going to work and start looking for excuses to make it work. There will be no arguing of this in here, this is strictly technical information, with facts.

To start with, lets explain what a "perfect" setup is for an ATV. First things first, you have an atv frame with your basic dual a-arm setup. Dual a-arms are the way to go with front suspension. Using two arms creates four (4) pivot points. You have two (2) pivot points at the frame, and you have two (2) pivot points at the spindle. If you were to draw an imaginary line looking straight on at this, you would have a square, or a parallelogram, depending at what angle the arms are to the frame. This allows the spindle to remain at the same camber angle through its entire travel. This is only if both the upper and lower a-arm are parallel to each other. This would be the "ideal setup." However you can alter the mounting points at either the spindle or the frame to achieve a camber gain/loss through travel. You can do this by making the upper and lower arm unparallel. This is also quite common to see on some buggies and some offroad vehicles. I wont get into it to much more as of now, I want to keep this as basic and technical as possible.

Next area of focus is your spindle/wheel assembly. Your spindle is mounted to the a-arms, which holds the hub and then the wheel. To understand the ideal setup at this point, imagine a line drawn through both the upper and lower balljoints (or heims) that attach the a-arms to the spindle. You would want this line to travel through the pivot point of each. Now since most atv spindles are setup so that the upper balljoint is closer to the frame than the lower, your line should start from the atv and move away as it goes towards the ground, it will not be a straight up and down line, it will be angled. To make your handling ideal, this line should pass through the centerpoint of your contact patch on your tire. This is often why we see racers using an offset rims of 4:1 (see the FAQ section at the top of the page to understand wheel offsets). The 4:1 rim brings that centerpoint of the contact patch closer to this imaginary line, if not right on it, depending on setup. Having the centerpoint of the contact patch directly in line with your balljoint pivot points will create the least amount of effort to steer. Running a different offset rim like a 3:2 which is close to stock, moves this patch away from that pivot point line. This in turn puts more leverage on the "steering" Wheel spacers do the same thing, they essentially move the centerpoint of that contact patch away from the balljoint pivot points. This is why wheel spacers DECREASE handling efficiency. Sure they might make it harder to tip over, but at what cost? This is why I suggest to stay away from flipped/large offset rims and wheel spacers.

Last major important part of handling is your tie rod ends. You might say what the heck do these have to do with anything? A LOT is the answer. The location of your tie rod ends at both the spindel and the steering stem play a major role in bumpsteer. Bumpsteer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the handlebars. It is caused from the suspension going through its cycles (moving up and down over terrain) and having improper location of steering linkages (tie rods and tie rode ends on quads). This is easy to demonstrate yourself is you so choose, it is always easiest to see this rather than read this on here. Jack your front end of your quad off the ground so the tires are not touching. Take one of your front shocks off. Now have the handlebars locked in a centered position (have a buddy hold it), now grab the tire/wheel and move it up and down. Watch as the front of the tire will point in and point out. This is the action of bumpsteer. I have yet to see a factory quad that came with NO bumpsteer. The cause of this on many quads is the location of the tie rod ends on the steering stem. To have NO bumpsteer, your tie rod ends must fall into these imaginary pivot point planes that we have been talking about. At the spindle, the tie rod end must fall on a plane with the balljoint pivot points (this one is generally hard to picture cause you only have an imaginary line instead of a plane) At the frame, the tie rod end pivots must fall on the plane of the a-arm pivots. As you can see on your quad, this is not the case at the frame. Your tie-rod ends are further inboard mounted on the steering stem. This is what causes bumpsteer for most atv's today. Kawasaki has tried combating this with their new frame design. By making the frame narrower in the front, it brings the a-arm pivot points in closer to the tie-rod ends on the steering stem, helping to rid of some unwanted bumpsteer. Laeger has also tried the same concept and as far as I know were the original company with the narrow frame. Many have heard of this, maybe not everyone understood the concept behind it, but it is the same, just bringing the a-arm pivot points in closer to the tie rod ends on the steering stem. The Diamond J custom kits, which seemed to die off for a while, but are back in question again, do the exact opposite of what Kawasaki and laeger have done. They widen your quad sure, but they drastically increase bumpsteer by moving the pivot point of the a-arms much further away from tie rod end pivot points, this creates a LOT of bumpsteer. You do not need to ride this setup to tell this, it is a simple mechanical design.

We will start here with this for now, anyone who wants to post questions/comments you are more than welcome. Also I know there are a few pictures floating around that will help explain a lot of this, if you are having a hard time visualizing. If anyone has any pics that they think will help, I ask that you do not post them in here as I would like them to go into each separate section of the original post, instead email them to me (send me a PM to let me know you emailed them) and I will post them up in this post, in an attempt to keep it clean, detailed and easy to follow. If not I will attempt to find more pics in the next few days and add them as we go along. Thanks.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

400exrider707,

That is an informative and factual explanation.
    I can hardly wait until the next lesson! I hope you will go into the following topics ( not in any order)
    What camber and castor are and how changing them effects handling
    Toe and how it effects handling
    Extended length A-arms and their advantages/disadvantages

I'm sure others may have suggestions as well so I'll shut up and listen....

Originally posted by zrpilot
    400exrider707,

That is an informative and factual explanation.
    I can hardly wait until the next lesson! I hope you will go into the following topics ( not in any order)
    What camber and castor are and how changing them effects handling
    Toe and how it effects handling
    Extended length A-arms and their advantages/disadvantages

I'm sure others mat have suggestions as well so I'll shut up and listen....
    As long as at least one person learns something, then I am more than happy to explain more. Castor and Camber are very important I think I will do them next, as well as how to set castor and camber. I will wait til around tuesday to do so (when I get back from vacation) and hopefully snape some useful pics over the weekend!
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock

powerband

RIP 606

i know this is not the tpic but can u describe what components does a suspension have and ecything i want to konw about suspensions
    06 ltr450

Pro Taper Charmichael, Fly racing Barpad and Clamps, Cherry bomb, pro armor nerfs, ac racing bumper, removed baffle and lid, lonestar graphics and seat cover, hisnson complete clutch, hinson clutch cover, maxxis razr mx on the rear on douglas beadlocks, Acerbic HandGuards (Black), Renthal 13th front sprocket, KandN Filter, Outwear, Full yosh system, rental diamond grips, Pro desing Kil switch

NOW THAT'S SOME GOOD STUFF. With nearly 6000 posts these are the type of people to learn from. That should be in a text book somewhere, or at least a sticky. This will be helpfull when i widend the ol' 400ex. Thanks

Ok, I should be able to grab a camera for tomorrow, I will take pics of everything I already talked about, and hopefully get a section typed up about castor and camber, and tie it into a-arm design. I can also talk about ackerman to as well, but we'll save that for later.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock

powerband

RIP 606

As you mentioned in the first post, you are yet to see an ATV with zero bumpsteer, but doesn't Polaris claim exactly that with their front design on the Predator (maybe the outlaw too?).

Might have to check out that setup as well. I'm curious as to how it works.

-Martin
    2006Honda 450ER

2006Kawasaki KVF700 Prairie

That is explained in enough detail that most people should be able to imagine the lines and planes you are talking about. Talking about these things in a geometry explanation type of manner is very helpful in understand suspension travel. Excellent job man. If I still had Pro-Engineer on my home computer I would draw the planes/lines and animate it but I no longer have it. Keep it coming man, great job!!!
    Ride Red

01 Black 440ex
    03 Lifted F250 6Leaker on 37" Nittos

Missin the 450 but will get another when Honda plays catch up....

Originally posted by Flyin-Low
    As you mentioned in the first post, you are yet to see an ATV with zero bumpsteer, but doesn't Polaris claim exactly that with their front design on the Predator (maybe the outlaw too?).

Might have to check out that setup as well. I'm curious as to how it works.

-Martin
    Yes I thought about the Polaris as well, but I have absolutely no experience with it, though they do claim no bumpsteer. They do it using multiple steering linkages, I will look into it and see what I can find, though the few things I have heard about them were not good.

As an update, its been a long weekend, been at the races the last couple of days, and somehow my digi cam mangaged to get smashed , perhaps I will draw something up in autocad, and later today I will get into castor and camber...
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock

powerband

RIP 606

Very good discussion!

I too had a lot to learn and still do.............

I learned a lot from talking to several individuals........including Ab****, TBD, and Wolfpack from this site, GT Thunder from another site.............as well as lots of research.

Based on my research, I have found 1 very helpful suspension setup guide (Thanks to Lonestar Racing).......

Here it is:

http://www.lsracing.com/img/Guide_21.pdf

I could try to explain everything, but I would be repeating 400exrider707.

I will take some pics of my tools that I use for suspension install/removal!

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast