Quote Originally Posted by MtnEX View Post
OK, so I posted this thread

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=491627

And then proceeded to read all 21 pages of this thread.

I was a little disappointed not to find any information regarding arms, shock lengths and calculating that... and further more the answer to my question.

I understand how to follow the directions and measure for shock length and shock stroke.

I also understand that you want the shock length to stop the down-travel rather than the bind points of the front end. And I understand that you want the shock to bottom before the frame hits the ground.

What I do not understand is rather or not a shock length and stroke being 1/4" short is a major deal, large enough to buy new shocks for the arms or check to see if the shocks can be lengthened that small amount?

When I consider aftermarket shocks I have bought for arms and when I think about stock shocks I have taken off stock arms.... I want to say no it does not matter.

None of those have ever been close to using 99% of the available down-travel of the arms.... and I can't see where bottoming with the frame 1.75" off the ground instead of 1.5" is going to kill anything....

But there might be something else I am not thinking about.

The only way to make your shocks compress more is to remove external spacers (if they have any) or cut the body shorter or install a shorter body (which will also shorten your extended length).

Yes it's important to have the compressed length correct. 1/4" at the shock equals around 1/2" of wheel travel.

If someone isn't using all of their wheel travel then the shocks are not setup correctly!