Originally posted by trx250r180
what effect do shock lengths and lower a-arm shock locations ,and motion ratios have ,seems like a longer shock would hold more oil and stay cooler longer,i know a 16 -inch shock can be set up to have as much travel as a 20.5 shock,some manufacturers ,example leagers ,epic,houser mount shock below lower arm , example roll,holz gibson mount on top and all use different length shocks
What you are referring to is mostly known as long travel and standard travel. Shock mounts are determined by the arm manufacturers, they then call a shock company to design a shock to work for the arm. Travel is limited by balljoints/heim joints and tie rod ends. They can only travel oh so far before binding. The pro-traxx setup was made to eliminate binding for the most travel, but honestly how much travel do you really need, or how much can you really use on an atv? For basic understandings of "long shock" and standard travel applications you can try searching on here for the time being, but I suppose this could be the next topic of discussion. Is there any specific questions you had pertaining to shock length? Shock length is usually more beneficial for the simple fact that they are easier to tune. I'm willing to bet 75% of the people on this site cant tune a shock to the full capability of a standard travel shock and waste a lot of money on long travel shocks. I personally dont feel like I can tune past the abilities of a standard travel shock, and see no need for the long travel, at this point in time, and for my level of racing. Others can however and some do actually benefit from long travel. I believe the term long travel should be thrown out the window as it confuses a lot of beginners. It should be called long shock, because realisitcally this is all it is. It is a longer shock with a lower mounting point on the a-arm. Think of it as shooting an arrow at a dinner plate, or shooting an arrow at a trampoline. The dinner plate being the standard travel and the trampoline being long travel. The trampoline is the easier target to hit, and the long travel is easier to pin point problem areas throughout travel. IMO! I am just a weekend warrior and an extreme enthusiast, with a small budget, so Ill keep shooting at my dinner plate for now. Anything else you were wondering about?