Thread: chain tool

chain tool

the chain on my blaster needs replacing.i have the new chain,but i was wondering which chain breaker and chain press is the best and easiest to use.i've always owned shaft driven quads so this is my first time replacing a chain.thanks!!
    -2002 blaster
    20inch razrs
    lookin for black rear fender(NOT ANY MORE!!)

you dont need one. all you need is a flat head screwdriver. first find the master link. then take the screwdriver and pry the clip off. then take out the master link and put the new one on. to put it on just reverse the order(of course)
    '07 450ER:
    white brothers xc bumper, prm swinger skid, jetted, baffle removed

'98 Yamaha Blaster:
    Airsal firebreather 240 kit, Vitos 3mm stroker crank, Project blaster aluminum airbox, Project blaster intake, Keihin 35mm airstriker carb, Vitos timing degree key, Boyeson pro series reeds, F7 pipe and silencer, Uni air filter, Durablue +2 axle (stock now i broke it), Kenda Klaw rear tires, Douglas .190 rear wheels (now stock i bent them), oil injection block off kit, EBC heavy duty clutch kit, 13/38 gearing, billet clutch basket, lightened flywheel, Renthal works chain, Fly handlebars, Hellbound +3 swinger, nissin hydro brake kit, banshee front shocks (stock now i bent them) , works quadstar rear shock w/rezzie, DG National front bumper

coming soon:
    Maier race cut fenders
    Elka/Leager a arm and shock kit
    DG national series grab bar

I have a Tusk chain breaker. Very simple to use and works great. Takes like less than a minute to get the master link off.
    '02 Yamaha Blaster - '03 Front Hydraulic Disc Brakes, Elkas on the Front, +3+1 ASR a-arms, DG Bumper, PB Phantom Exhaust w/Spark Arrestor Kit from ALBA, Renthal Bars, Premix, No Air Box Lid, Uni Air Filter, UM Swinger Skidplate, AC Nerf Bars, Holeshots all around

it takes ten seconds to take a master link out with a screw driver, you don't have to waste money on a chain breaker.

Originally posted by mx825
    it takes ten seconds to take a master link out with a screw driver, you don't have to waste money on a chain breaker.
    exactly. and to put it on you just take the screwdriver and hit it with your hand on the other side
    '07 450ER:

'98 Yamaha Blaster:
    Airsal firebreather 240 kit, Vitos 3mm stroker crank, Project blaster aluminum airbox, Project blaster intake, Keihin 35mm airstriker carb, Vitos timing degree key, Boyeson pro series reeds, F7 pipe and silencer, Uni air filter, Durablue +2 axle (stock now i broke it), Kenda Klaw rear tires, Douglas .190 rear wheels (now stock i bent them), oil injection block off kit, EBC heavy duty clutch kit, 13/38 gearing, billet clutch basket, lightened flywheel, Renthal works chain, Fly handlebars, Hellbound +3 swinger, nissin hydro brake kit, banshee front shocks (stock now i bent them) , works quadstar rear shock w/rezzie, DG National front bumper

coming soon:
    Maier race cut fenders

His new chain may need to have links taken out and I dont think I've ever seen anyone take those out with a screwdriver?!?...but if you dont then yeah get a flat head and some regular pliers

okay,i'll try the screwdriver and pliers.if that doesn't work i'll find a good tool.thanks for the help!!
    -2002 blaster
    20inch razrs
    lookin for black rear fender(NOT ANY MORE!!)

well obviously you can't take out a link with a screwdriver
    i've always used a grinder.

Originally posted by mx825
    well obviously you can't take out a link with a screwdriver
    i've always used a grinder.
    yea you can only the master link out with screwdriver. you need a drill or grinder and grind it all down flat and then take a hammer and hit a screwdriver in between them to pry them apart.
    '07 450ER:

'98 Yamaha Blaster:

coming soon:
    Maier race cut fenders