Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made brake light set-up

Home made brake light set-up

It 's a 450r led taillight and a banjo bolt switch from parts unlimited.

wow looks good what all did you do to install it? can you post a step by step that would be cool
    getting back in the game lol got a abused 300ex

yes PLEASE !!!! That looks cool !!!

Here ya go
    Parts necessary
    450r led tailight (could use a different one but this bolts right in)
    Hydraulic brake light switch (banjo bolt)
    it is from parts unlimited your dealer should be able to order from them PART# 12-0010 it is a 10x1.25 thread so you might be able to get a different brand elsewhere. approx $19.00
    wire
    bullet connectors (waterproof male and female)

1. remove the banjo bolt from the rear master cylinder you will lose a little fluid but not much.
    2. install new banjo bolt use new crush rings that comes with the switch
    3. there is a cross tube in the frame you can fish the wires through from the switch to the battery side of the quad
    4. Honda didn't have a wire connector for the tailight so I had to solder some pigtails to it.Cut the plug in from the existing taillight off.
    5.there are three terminals on the back of the tailight, looking at the terminals the left is the ground (dark green of the existing taillight goes here) the center terminal is for the running light (brown wire)the right is for the brake light
    6. you can bench test the light connections first with a common 9 volt battery to be sure, it wont hurt the LED .
    7.run a power wire from the battery (+side) to the switch terminal the other wire from the switch hook up to the brake light terminal on the light.
    8. hook up ground and running light wires to the light
    9.zip tie wires in place and fill the socket area (where you soldered the pigtails to) with black RTV silicone
    10. step on the pedal and smile
    I didn't hook up to the front brake yet it would be the same process you would just need another switch

wow thats pretty good i am putting this in the how to section and i'll make shur you get the credit

what is a pigtail?
    getting back in the game lol got a abused 300ex

It is a short piece of wire soldered to the taillight , that way you can unplug the taillight if needed. One end of the wire is permanently mounted to the light the other end would have a male/female bullet connector ( a pigtail)

Looks real good bud,You could also use the taillight from a new 400.
    2001 Yamaha Banshee
    10' Honda Fury
    Only the dead know the end of war.

I wasn't sure but that is good to know. thanks. i also heard a newer 300ex as well , But I can't verify. Maybe someone can add a list of bolt on led tail/brake lights that work. i bought mine here on the parts forum for 28.00 shipped. on ebay they go a little higher priced.

Honda kind of steamlined with the newer lineup. they all have the same tail lights I believe. $28.00 is a real good price.
    2001 Yamaha Banshee
    10' Honda Fury
    Only the dead know the end of war.

i just drilled holes in the back of my airbox and stuck blue led's through them, works great and they are super bright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast