Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant find my master link on my chain

cant find my master link on my chain

Like it says... i replaced my brake pads on my 04 400ex and my dad lifted up the back end and spun it and there was grinding noise and when i last rode it the back end was wobbling soo my dad needs to take off the chain to see if the bearing is dry inside... where is the master link?? thanks
    04' 400ex
    itp, razr,hmf, dg, ac, gforce, tag

Ummmmm...Your master link is on your chain and the grinding noise is coming from the inside of your bearing carrier...It's your bearings making that noise....You are looking for the master link on your chain right?
    95 TRX 300EX

86 250R - SOLD

NEW PROJECT - 88 TRX 250R - BUILDING FROM BOTTOM UP

If someone had the quad before you or a dealer put a new chain on they may have used a rivet type master link which doesn't use a clip. If you look carefully you will see one link that would be slightly different than the others.
    04' YFZ 450
    06' LTR 450
    03' Z400
    01' 406EX- R.I.P
    97' MXZ 583
    02' mxzx 600
    District 34, #450
    Aim: Hippiekicker 250

take the sprocket off the hub, that will give you enough room to take the chain off the sprocket and pull the axle...but if it sia stock style chain, it won't have a master link

What speedy said , there is no need to remove the chain to check on the axle bearings.
    www.almarsguides.com

thanks guys .. it was a stock chain and it was riveted.. soo i went to the dealer ship and the guy said i should just grind one off.. but if i could find the riveted one but it doesnt really matter and then put in a masterlink in its place.. soo thats what im doing and now i gotta take apart my carrier to get to the bearings................. ahh this sucks.. i thought all i needed to do was change the brakes
    04' 400ex

stock 400ex chains don't have a master links, so just cut the chain off.
    ~Dallas~

03' Roll Design/IMS-Roll/Custom Axis/C&D Racing 416ex

Special thanks to...
    Colby@C&D Racing
    Hardkor Engineering
    G4 Graphics
    Team2powersports
    RockyMountain ATV
    Chino886
    K&K ATV
    JL ATV
    Magic Racing
    Blais Racing
    Metro Powersports
    IMS/Roll Design
    Motosportoutlet
    Badger Cycle
    And To my wife

Motor mods- JE 11:1 comp,Stg 2 Hotcam,C&D Race ported head,Stock carb jetted,White Bros pipe. Ran on Turbo Blue 110

ok.... is there anyways of knowing without ripping the carrier apart if its just my bearing or if i need a bearing housing or anything else cause i just got off the phone with my bro and he said when his carrier went on his raptor he had to drive back to his truck but his whole carrier was blown and was 800$ in parts to fix.... soo im ****tin bullets.. i got crap i gotta buy for my car 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ehh!
    04' 400ex

Oh yeah and i ran mine for like 3 miles at like a low 5th and my tires were wobbling ..... so im not sure.... i hope i didnt destroy everything
    04' 400ex

Sounds like your bro got screwed unless the swingarm was damaged. A new carrier with bearings can be found for around $150.

You're going to have to take it apart anyway so there's no point in trying find a short cut in finding out how bad the damage is
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast