Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lookin at the 125

lookin at the 125

Hey everyone, I have been doing some reading and pokin around the net about the extreme 125 for my son. He is coming off of a lt80 and was wondering if this is the way I should go reliability wise. He does race some flat track races and with this bike he might do some mx races also. Out of the box how is this quad. Does it need major changes to be a reliable play/race type bike or will it be ok with some minor changes? When we play we mostly go to the dunes and ride wooded trails sometimes. My son is 8 now and can ride the lt80 very very good. The 80 has been a good bike but suspension wise it is very poor and he is starting to jump bigger, that is the main reason for the change and also to go to a 4 stroke. Thanks guys for any input

I'm in the same boat as you, but my son dont race. He just turned nine and rides a yamaha raptor 80. The suspension is real bad on those minis. I'm going to get the baja 125 from costco. It's the same quad as the extreme typhoon but at half the price. On the costco page it says it's a manual tranny, but i think there automatic. I am mainly getting it for the suspension. Get with Texin he just got one for his son and says it's a pretty good quad with alot of upgrade options. Good Luck!!

I got one about a month ago from Costco. Bought the upgrades subframe, steering collar, and engine/frame bracket and installed those. Went through the entire quad for loose nuts, alignment, everything. It's been on the MX track twice and no problems other than stiff shifter and a nut or two coming loose .

My son was riding on the mx track with a boy his age, 9, on a raptor 80. The boy'd dad just kept looking at the Baja and couldn't believe for $1300 that it was that much wider and had that much better suspenion than the raptor. Crazy to think Yamaha hasn't changed anything other than the plastic on that quad in over 20 years.

Saw a Baja at the track this weekend, the motor is different than an Xtreme. It uses a crank mounted clutch which will not hold up to HP increases. The newest Xtremes are significantly better than the ones of the past, they worked a lot of the bugs out, especially in the shocks and chassis...it will work out of the box with a proper dealer prep and tune-up...I would think twice before saving the $500.

I would seriously look at the DRR 90 before commiting. I think you'll find it to be a much better out of the box option than the xtreme and much more easily upgraded. Ask around in the main forum for opinions.
    Brandon Waltz #11

Big thanks to Tittle Brothers Racing, RC Motorsports, RK Chains, SixSixOne and WeaponMX.

Brandon's Sponsorhouse

How can you tell the engine in the Baja is different than the Xtreme? I've seen them both and didn't see any difference. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right areas.

Originally posted by WMW-F4R
    Saw a Baja at the track this weekend, the motor is different than an Xtreme. It uses a crank mounted clutch which will not hold up to HP increases. The newest Xtremes are significantly better than the ones of the past, they worked a lot of the bugs out, especially in the shocks and chassis...it will work out of the box with a proper dealer prep and tune-up...I would think twice before saving the $500.
    I agree, if you are going to race or ride hard the crank will not hold up under the torq, etc. Remember these are pit bike motors so Xtreme has figured out the problem and is in the process of correcting it.

How much did the other guy spend in upgrades? I'm not trying to disrespect but factor in all the extras.

The DRR are a good bikes Our daughter races against them. The question is do you want a 2 or 4 stroke. For the money you can't beat the Typhoon if you want to go with a 4 stroke.

The stock suspension is good but we have upgraded to Fox and now to Elka's.

i thought i was the only one to notice the baja had a different motor. you can tell the difference by where the clutch adjusting nut is located at on the side case. the xtremes are towards the rear of the case, the baja is in the center like the 90cc motors.

Mark
    " A good friend will bail you out of jail but a true friend will be sitting beside you saying.... Dang that was fun"

Mark

Bubba ( son )
    2005 YFZ450, 08 motor,Bike cam, Laeger Plus 2 a-arms, Elka shocks, GYTR Exhaust, Holeshots on Baja rims, AC Pro Pegs, G- Force axle

2009 Sponsor: Asv, SixSixOne. Oneal Racing, Houser Racing, GT Thunder, Nacs Racing, Elka

i have a quad for you and i am located in OKC. give me a shout

405-203-5363

Kelly

Im from atwater and can the merced costco get the quads.

Originally posted by Louie
    I'm in the same boat as you, but my son dont race. He just turned nine and rides a yamaha raptor 80. The suspension is real bad on those minis. I'm going to get the baja 125 from costco. It's the same quad as the extreme typhoon but at half the price. On the costco page it says it's a manual tranny, but i think there automatic. I am mainly getting it for the suspension. Get with Texin he just got one for his son and says it's a pretty good quad with alot of upgrade options. Good Luck!!
    Stephen Gruenbacher #22

2005 trx450r
    Curtis sparks full system
    Sparks airbox removal intake
    Hotcam stage 2
    +2 I-shock 3500 chrome a-arms
    Razr mx 18-10-8 on douglas .190
    21-6-10 razr front on stocks
    GBC sand shark F/R on douglas .190's
    Durablue +2.5 rear wheel spacers
    Tusk nerf bars.
    Streamline twist throttle kit