Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Polishing- on a wheel

nice carb..so how do you get into all the little cracks like on a rim or something. I cant get all the way own into the little holes.
    '02 Honda Rubicon 500
    -Warn 2000lb Winch
    -Warn 424 Select
    -Warn Pushbar

If it's worth doing the first time, it's worth doing right.

That polishing by hand is for the birds!! Whats the easy way besides sending it to the pro's? With the polishing compounds; do they smooth everything out or do i still have to do all the sanding?

Originally posted by icepreddy
    That polishing by hand is for the birds!! Whats the easy way besides sending it to the pro's? With the polishing compounds; do they smooth everything out or do i still have to do all the sanding?
    Depends on if your piece is already smooth or not.
    Most often you always have to sand first...PB
    400 Blaster

Is there any short cuts to this process. Does dremel sell any attachments to help? I just don't have the time to sit down any polish for 15 hours. Might sound like a wuss but my time is very limited between work, hunting, the Fire Dept. and the girl friend. I've got some pieces that are cast aluminum and the other parts are sand blasted. The idiot that sold me the engine covers sandblasted and painted them.
    2004 TLD Predator
    AAEN Big Bore Kit
    AAEN Port and Polished Head
    AAEN +1mm Valves
    AAEN Performance Pipe
    Civic Intake
    Full Flight +2 A-arms
    Moose Racing accesories
    1500-2000 Silver Rocket Ice Studs
    Coming Soon: Nicolas Cycle 574 BBK

Originally posted by icepreddy
    Is there any short cuts to this process. Does dremel sell any attachments to help? I just don't have the time to sit down any polish for 15 hours. Might sound like a wuss but my time is very limited between work, hunting, the Fire Dept. and the girl friend. I've got some pieces that are cast aluminum and the other parts are sand blasted. The idiot that sold me the engine covers sandblasted and painted them.
    lol there are no short cuts other then paying someone else to polish your stuff. Dremal sells all kinds of stuff for polishing but in the end it still will take hours
    400 Blaster

It's been the same for me bro.
    400 Blaster

There is really a good amount of info in this thread!! Im really interested in trying to polished some stuff, I just like the way the metal looks when finished. Do you know where can I find like a starter kit for polishing? Also if I have a brand new carb, do I have to sand it? or it will be smooth enough? After you have polished something and dont want it to rust what kind of sealant do you apply to it?

Thanks for the info

Harborfreight and Eastwood both has nice starter kits.
    For a new carb you still want to go over it with some 600 grit jes to remove the casting marks and casting splash.
    Only things made of iron or steel will rust. Carbs are aluminum so they won't rust ever. Either way I always like to wax or clear over parts after they polish to preserve the shinny look...PB
    400 Blaster

You can actually get some compund that has a heavy cut to it. Like Black Emory compund. That and a felt bob to get into the nooks and corners, for the more flat surfaces you can use a 3/4in. felt disk. You most likely will have to use a dremel to polish the carb. It is much much easier when it is disassembled. It will take alot of time to get the carb to a nice enough finish to move to Tripoli compund then from there use a White Rouge. Mother wheel polish is the same thing. You will want to lay it on by hand and use a loose buff at a very low speed to remove it.

It is much easier said than done!

amazing work. you have my respect and have given me some inspiration

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast