Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: kickstart conversion

so a couple ?s here does the quad idle with that much cut off the flywheel?? and it is a 400ex flywheel that you have cut down right? im building woods quad and i want as much torques as i can get on a stock bore and i didnt find a straight answer on whether you can swap the flywheels between the 2 motors???

thanks
    BURNT PISTON RACING...NOT A BETTER TEAM IN THE WORLD!!!

THE MAYOR

I know that this is an old thread but after reading this thread, i completely rebuilt my engine and added the kickstart conversion to my 04 400ex. After several kicks, the transmission shaft broke due to the idler gear siting on the transmission shaft. It would probably work with an 11-1 compression or 12.1 compression but it was not strong enough for my 6mm stroker, 426 bore, with 14-1 compression je piston.

Were you using the xr shaft or the ex shaft? If I remember correctly the ex shaft was not quite as long and didn't extend fully through the idler gear and into the case. I seem to recall having the same issue and switched to the xr shaft and didn't have any more problems. Also when I talked to steve#7 he was running very high compression without any issues. Just some food for thought
    2000 440EX Powroll Stroker, 39mm FCR, Ported & Polished, Hot Cams Stage 3, Full Curtis Spaks X-6 Exhaust, 8 plate Sparks clutch, Pingry Oil Tank, K&N Filter, Aluminum Air Box, Renthal Bars, Propegs, Graydon Bumper, Graydon Case Saver, Houser +2's, LSR Axcaliber, Braided Brake Lines, Elka Triple Rates, Mac Daddy Rear Shock, Maier Shiny Race Plastic, Houser +1.25 Swingarm

This is interesting. I tried to read everything but there should be a parts list of every single thing you need to buy to convert this. I actually will have a xr400 case on my 05 400ex but I'm getting the case machined to keep my reverse. I'll have a lockout in it too that was custom made.

Wander how much more it would take to have a kicker and a push button start?...
    - 2005 "The Sleeper" 400ex
    - 1984 CR125r Project

I used the 400ex tranny shaft. Race season begins soon so I'll have to try the xr400 tranny shaft next year. What did you do for kicker frame clearance?

I wonder if you can add a kickstart if you have nerf bars that have heel guards built into them.. the kicker seems to be really low on the frame.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567