Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: kickstart conversion

heres the thing the gear that the kick start gear goes up against would make it a forward kick not a backwords kick. in the pics of his machine it would be a back wards kick.
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

I originally bought a xr cover . This consisted of the inner and outer it was two pieces. when I put it on. the trx basket was rubbing the outer cover. And the clutch would not release. This made me aware that the trx had a deeper basket to hold more disks. After grinding the cover and the pressure plate I got it to clear. Then a new problem arose the clutch would still not release. So I reclocked the lever. I bought this cover to make it easy to replace my clutch for the next race. Because of the power of my motor I was tearing them up. I plugged the kicker hole at that time because I was not considering kick start yet. After that race I saw a hinson cover on Ebay and bought it It was listed for a TRX 400EX . When I recieved it I saw the kicker hole too was plugged. I made a few inqruiries and found that all hinson covers were XRs they just plugged the kicker hole for the trx orders . So any one that payed to have there cover machine by hinson was gettting a xr cover back. ?????. Shame on hinson. At this time since I already had the inner cover drilled and restricted for the head cooler I just added the outter cover to what was on my motor. Make sure when you do the Kicker you buy a new kick shaft for a 2000 no other year. and also the seal and the kicker. This is the only way you will be sure to get the heavy duty one that works. All other parts will work from any year. Except the intermediate gear bushing . This goes on the trans shaft to hold the intermediate gear that uns the basket . All other years use a smaller bushing and will not fit the the TRX trans shaft . I just got finished with curtis sparks Idea on the kick extension. I tig welded two kicker bases together. this gave me the 3/4 of an inch for frame clearance. Since you will have the inner clamp to hold the kicker on the kick shaft. The outer clamp which is welded to the inner is empty. I made a short shaft to go in the outer clamp . Mounted a bearing to it made a brace off of the pro peg mount. This gave me the extra strength for the 15-1 460 piston. This will not have to be done on a 12-1 440. If you look at the pics you will notice no brake spring . It is on the rear master cylinder with two washers . works better than factory. I cut my own flywheels!!

Yeah It kicks bacward whats the difference which way it kicks. All dirt bikes motors kick back . Its a dirt bike kick assembly for g** sake. go to the nationals an see how many there are. all 426 yamaha conversions . And CRF 450's. kick back. If you look at the pics I posted. The rear fenders are cut for a older 426 YFZ conversion. they are nothing but a drag anyway. This gives more than enough clearance to kick it. My 400 has a minus 3 swing arm for traction . The kicker clears the tires. If I am going to get nitwits replying to my posts I wont answer any more questions. Maybe 250x-kyle can apply a pull rope at the front of the seat. Since that seems to be where his strength is. This will be the end I was told there were real idiots on this site. Its all your loss you will never know some of the other things weve done to make free H.P. on other Quads . Now you can call your local dealer see what you learn from him. See Ya

in other words u basically have a xr400 bottom end in it. if thats teh case then yes it would kick backwords. but dont go calling me a ***cing idiot considering the fact that the gear that has to be turned to start teeth are opposite slanted at a the opposite direction of the xr 400s starter gear. so **** you *** whole.
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

of course all the hybrids are gunna kick backwards there genious there all dirt bike motors that come that ways stock. the xr 400 bottome end differs from the ex bottom end this is y one would kick forward and the other would kick backwards.
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

where the kick start lever in this pick huh answer me this hot shot
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

wow that went well. thx for the true hot rodder tips steve. dont let some h8tin punk@$$ kid on a 250x bother you. you did what NO ONE ELSE COULD DO kyle you are a total flake. jealousy is a strange emotion ehh? this guy obvisously knows what he's talkin about. what have you done? this is an adult conversation if you dont have anything constructive to say plz stay out.
    02 400ex fan cooled
    11:1 85MM Wiseco piston
    stg 2 hotcam
    port and polished head, intake
    Kibblewhite springs
    450r timing chain
    450r carb 180 main yfz cable
    Sparks advance key
    lightweight flywheel
    Hetrick header custom exhaust
    K&N filter w/outerwear precharger
    Pro-flo stainless steel oil filter
    spark plug resistor mod
    450r front shocks yfz450 springs
    yfz450 brake pads
    steel braided brake lines frt & rr
    450r bumper
    Pro design shifter
    Hinson rear brake lever
    drilled airbox snorkle removed
    Moose ebrake plate
    Renthal bars
    Moose levers

250x_kyle may be mistaken about the necessity of a forward kick and may not have any experience in making such converstions. But I'd hardly call this....
    Originally posted by steve #7
    ....If I am going to get nitwits replying to my posts I wont answer any more questions. Maybe 250x-kyle can apply a pull rope at the front of the seat. Since that seems to be where his strength is. This will be the end I was told there were real idiots on this site. Its all your loss you will never know some of the other things weve done to make free H.P. on other Quads . Now you can call your local dealer see what you learn from him. See Ya"
    ....a mature response. I mean come on--give me a break. That was totally unecessary and frankly, very rude. I'm not sure how anyone can share info across the Internet if they're going to be unreasonably touchy. Heaven forbid someone should say the wrong thing!

Steve #7, relax dude. Instead of throwing a hissy fit and insulting folks, why don't you just explain why they're wrong? You'll garner a lot more respect that way. Not to mention preventing yourself from looking like a self-rightous jerk.

Just callin' it like I see it.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

the xr and the ex are the same motors except for the crank. It is longer on the mag side to make room for the one way clutch for the electric start. The picture you are refering to was from ohio last year before the kick was installed. if you read my other posts I said I never raced without the electric start yet. You will never get a 400 ex to kick front because you have to install the xr kick assembly. This is what I did. If you look at my other pictures you will notice I have a ex mag cover on with the starter drive cut off. and welded up. The xr mag cover will not fit the ex because of the longer crank. If it would have I would Have used it.here is a pic of the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast