Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: kickstart conversion

wow now that is a crazy wheeler i might just have to do the flywheel thing. did you get a diferent one or did you have it machined?
    getting back in the game lol got a abused 300ex

i see you have a diferent brake pedal. did you make it or did you get it from another wheeler or somthing?

also what is the other mods you had to do to get the xr engine in there?

and could i put my 416 top end on the xr bottom?

This is not an XR engine it is a trx they all take kick up to 2005. I used two brake pedals cut both and turned the other upsidedown and welded it in place after some bending. also flipped the toe pedal. The only difference in the xr to the trx is the width of the crank . So the mag side cover from the xr won't fit. I cut the starter drive off the trx cover and welded a curved piece of alluminum in. The flywheel was machined in are shop. you can eliminate 1 lb 3 oz and still use electric. .110 off the outside .070 off the back. You can also cut the collar and bolts that hold the one way clutch for the starter drive. if your going to the kick only cut the hub as close to the rivits as you can. if you notice I even took some off of the rivets for a total of 2 lbs 6 oz. I will post pictures of the flywheel cut for electric start when it comes off for the next race. Complete wire harness is eliminated. The only wires needed are stator and CDI. one wire going from the CDI to the altenator can be taken out this is the rev control. remember use 2000 and up kick assembly its larger in diameter. 2000 up ,kick shaft , seal , kicker, and cover, and idle bushing. The clutck basket is shorter for the xr so you will need to put your basket on the xr plate since you'll need the gear . We bought a used xr basket that was shot and put a hinson replacement basket on. you will need a hinson outer clutch cover the xr is to short the trx has one more plate and disk. The only clutch we use is the factory honda. we tried alot of others and they slip with this much torque using American racers and testing on pavement. They are also lighter and thicker so you get more spring pressure. After talking with Curtis Sparks in Illinois we came up with a better system for next install of the Kicker. The one pictured Has a extended Shaft . We will be using a factory length shaft now. You need 3/4 inch for frame clearance .We also used pro pegs and mounted them like the 86 250r's. the rear bolt goes through the pipe that holds the peg. cut all excess metal off of the pro peg mount. This gives room for the kicker and moves the peg 1 3/4 inches lower. this lowers the center of gravity and is aslo more comfortable to ride. Feels more like my R's. I hope that answers some questions. Steve sk3406@ptd.net

QUOTE-2000 up ,kick shaft , seal , kicker, and cover, and idle bushing.

this is all you need to do the job other than some cutting, welding, and machining the flywheel?

And you have to use a Hinson clutch cover, not the XR or TRX.
    Let me know if I'm missing something, other than that, seems pretty straight forward.
    '00 400ex
    wiseco 440 12.5:1
    port polish
    stage 2 hotcam
    decked head
    450r carb
    2000 tundra oil cooler
    and some other stuff....

2006 LTR450
    DASA Exhaust
    Power Commander
    Custom Intake
    The 440 doesnt hold a candle......

wow this is sweet you rock. doing something that is impossible is what makes us americans. i def want to do this mod but i will keep my electric start. i blew up the pic to see how you got around the magnet. so i take .070 off of "a" and .110 of of "c" but im not sure can i take any off of "b" . ohh and what color wire or what circuit is for the rev limiter.
    02 400ex fan cooled
    11:1 85MM Wiseco piston
    stg 2 hotcam
    port and polished head, intake
    Kibblewhite springs
    450r timing chain
    450r carb 180 main yfz cable
    Sparks advance key
    lightweight flywheel
    Hetrick header custom exhaust
    K&N filter w/outerwear precharger
    Pro-flo stainless steel oil filter
    spark plug resistor mod
    450r front shocks yfz450 springs
    yfz450 brake pads
    steel braided brake lines frt & rr
    450r bumper
    Pro design shifter
    Hinson rear brake lever
    drilled airbox snorkle removed
    Moose ebrake plate
    Renthal bars
    Moose levers

Just leave enough on be to keep the hub centered. Also at the bottom of the bevel on the hub cut straight in. cut the bolts off too. When I take my electric start flywheel off this weekend I will post picks and measure it.

steve-that is one bad ***** ex
    Current Bikes
    2005 Honda 450R........Set-up for XC

Past Bikes
    2000 honda 400ex
    2004 Kawasaki kfx400
    1998 Honda 300ex
    1992 Honda 250x

did you use the hinson cover for the xr or the trx?

well heres the thing that fly wheels is on the left side case. the clutch cover is on the right side. the plug where the kick startw ould go is on the right side. you pop that out and put ur shaft and gear in there. but the only problem whti his 400 is that its a back wards kick. if anybody has tried to make a kick start kit for a 400 would know that it has to be a forward kick.
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

idk how you would make it forward

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast