6. You may not vote on this poll
  • help jetting

4 66.67%
  • help jetting

2 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 400ex jetting help

Question 400ex jetting help

i have a 01 trx400ex with a 11:1 piston with a magnum stage 2 cam, air box mod, 6 degree adv key, and removed the choke. stock exhaust with spark screen cut off, Fresh build hasnt been fired yet. looking to jet the carb. i live in il at 720ft above sea level. looking for some recommendations on a good starting point on jetting? plan on running a 50/50 mix of 98/100 oct, to start and see if I can get it down to just 98 without detonation?

couple of things wrong here that need to be corrected before you jet it.
    with 11:1 & stg 2, you should not be running a +6 key, and you should be running at least a slip-on.
    Change those before you try jetting it.

btw,
    what brand of headlight fluid do you use, what is the air temp's and humidity you'll be riding in, and are you running air or nitrogen in your tires ???
    (Just Kidding)

What the heck is the voting thing for
    2005 Honda 400ex mods: HMF comp series full system exhaust, K&N air filter no air box lid, CFM oil tank, Mod Quad handle bar clamp, Pro Taper high bend handle bars, Pro Taper pillow top grips, Pro Taper hand guards, Factory Effex bar pad, 450r front shocks, MSR AOR clutch lever, HOT CAM stage two.
    Honda foreman 450 mods: HMF performance series slip on, K&N air filter with prefilter, Super atv front disk brakes, Dunlop quad max tires.
    Ski doo mxzx 440 LC 1998.

Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
    What the heck is the voting thing for
    the guy is new and this is his thread..

I voted for help jetting

Originally posted by tri5ron
    couple of things wrong here that need to be corrected before you jet it.
    with 11:1 & stg 2, you should not be running a +6 key, and you should be running at least a slip-on.
    Change those before you try jetting it.

btw,
    what brand of headlight fluid do you use, what is the air temp's and humidity you'll be riding in, and are you running air or nitrogen in your tires ???
    (Just Kidding)
    I had just got done reading this and thought. "Ha!...blinker fluid."

Then I went to craigslist and saw this directly after.
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3056675918.html

I cant believe it actually comes with a powerband, I thought of rons lil website and this made me laugh my a#$ off.

Sorry to jack your thread man....
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
    I had just got done reading this and thought. "Ha!...blinker fluid."

Then I went to craigslist and saw this directly after.
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3056675918.html

I cant believe it actually comes with a powerband, I thought of rons lil website and this made me laugh my a#$ off.

Sorry to jack your thread man....
    LMFAO I'm still not sure where to find the power band on my quads or dirt bike. lol
    2005 Honda 400ex mods: HMF comp series full system exhaust, K&N air filter no air box lid, CFM oil tank, Mod Quad handle bar clamp, Pro Taper high bend handle bars, Pro Taper pillow top grips, Pro Taper hand guards, Factory Effex bar pad, 450r front shocks, MSR AOR clutch lever, HOT CAM stage two.
    Honda foreman 450 mods: HMF performance series slip on, K&N air filter with prefilter, Super atv front disk brakes, Dunlop quad max tires.
    Ski doo mxzx 440 LC 1998.

tri5ron could you please explain to me why I shouldn't be running a stage2 cam and 11 to 1 piston?I'm using a stock head gasket so won't be a true 11 to 1. As for your ****ty coments the more info you post the better the help you will get. If I had posted "looking to jet my 400ex" there would have been a bunch of posts asking what I had done to it. I skiped that BS. elevation matters as for humidity unless you jet it for the rain forest and run it in the dessert won't matter much. Of corse it will run leaner in cool crisp air but I was just asking for a starting point

thanks
    PJ88

Ron didn't say anything about your stage 2 cam. He said you shouldn't be running +6 key with an 11:1 compression piston and the stage 2 cam because the key makes it run hotter, and that in combination with 11:1 compression piston and cam will make it run too hot and you risk burning up your top end because of all the heat.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Originally posted by pj88
    I skiped that BS. elevation matters as for humidity unless you jet it for the rain forest and run it in the dessert won't matter much.

thanks
    PJ88
    That was hillarious.....lol.

Only 3 posts and this guy fits right in here, welcome to the family....
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

Here's right from Sparks website:

"The 400EX in stock form is very low compression and responds extremely well to advancing the timing 6 degrees. The Sparks Racing Ignition Advance Key advances the timing 6 degrees. There are no side affects from the installation of this key. It must only be used in conjunction with a stock piston. This key works great with any other modification, Hi-rev CDI's, performance camshafts, carburetor kits, etc. Just not high compression or big bore pistons. We also include a flywheel puller for your convenience."
    High RPM Motocross - Trippin Rev Limiters since 2010

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast