Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Engine Mods

Simple Engine Mods

ok right now my motor is comp stock and i am ordering a cam from tc (cross country) and a pipe from him (supertrap). i wanted to know what else can i do to wake up the motor without boring it out and all that. just something simple maybe a piston, head gasket, i want to still be able to run pump gas. any suggestions would be helpfull.

p.s. the type of riding i do is mostly racing around a homemade track with the guys sometimes we will go to a motorcross track and race that but just for fun, and i dont want to bore or anything because this bike will event. go to the wife, thanks alot

HIGHER COMP PISTON 10.8:1
    remove the choke, higher flow filter
    jetting
    gearing
    smaller rear tires
    holes in airbox
    when in doudt, GAS IT!

while you have it tore down putting a cam in it you might as well take it the rest of the way down and put a hi-compression piston it also, ( the cam will benifit well with the piston), Use a XR400 head gasket, other little tricks would include holes in the airbox lid K&N airfilter, removal of the choke and grinding out the welds in you head pipe, all of this with the correct jetting will really bring the EX to life!
    SOLD
    440EX
    Clark XC Tank, One Graffix, One seat cover, Kenda Klaw Rear, Pro-Comp Fronts, PRM A- Arm Guards, AC belly skid, AC Bumper, PRM Swingarm skid, PRM Air Scoops, AC Nerf Bars UNI Air Filter, R-4 full exhust, HRC Power Up Cam, Wiesco 11:1 89 mm (440), , Full Race Port and Polish, Titanium H-D Valve Springs, Edelbrock 440 QuickSilver Carb, Motion Pro Vortex Twist Trottle, Pro-Design Kill Switch,Tag MX fat bars,+1 Houser Steering Stem , Anti-Vibe Fat Bar Clamp, Houser +1 +1/2 A-Arms, CFM 1 1/4 Swing arm, Denton Steering Stabilizer, Steel Braided Brake Lines, +2 +4 RPM AXLE,Denton Twin Row Carrier, Elka Triple Rates With Piggy backs, Elka Shock Covers, CR Clutch Perch and Lever,250R Hood

1999 300EX
    DG Header and pipe, K&N air filter, CT Racing Port & Polished, CT Racing Cam, 330 Kit 10.5:1 Wiesco, Rev box mod, Lonestar Twin Row Carrier, Renthal MX Bars, CR Clutch Perch and Lever, 250R Hood.

Suzuki Vinson

Honda CRF450R

Sponsors:
    Tag metals, One Ind., Klotz lubricants, Michelin Tires, L.A. Sleeve, Pro X Pistons, Scott USA, Works Connection,

ok is it real hard to change out the piston, ive never had to deal with valves and timing chains and such, dont want to putit back together and it blow up. also what piston should i get, some say wiseco but thanks

You should beable to change all this out yourself, go buy the book that shows how to do all this in detail if your not sure you can do it yourself. I would buy a JE 11:1 piston, Just my Opinion
    SOLD
    440EX
    Clark XC Tank, One Graffix, One seat cover, Kenda Klaw Rear, Pro-Comp Fronts, PRM A- Arm Guards, AC belly skid, AC Bumper, PRM Swingarm skid, PRM Air Scoops, AC Nerf Bars UNI Air Filter, R-4 full exhust, HRC Power Up Cam, Wiesco 11:1 89 mm (440), , Full Race Port and Polish, Titanium H-D Valve Springs, Edelbrock 440 QuickSilver Carb, Motion Pro Vortex Twist Trottle, Pro-Design Kill Switch,Tag MX fat bars,+1 Houser Steering Stem , Anti-Vibe Fat Bar Clamp, Houser +1 +1/2 A-Arms, CFM 1 1/4 Swing arm, Denton Steering Stabilizer, Steel Braided Brake Lines, +2 +4 RPM AXLE,Denton Twin Row Carrier, Elka Triple Rates With Piggy backs, Elka Shock Covers, CR Clutch Perch and Lever,250R Hood

1999 300EX
    DG Header and pipe, K&N air filter, CT Racing Port & Polished, CT Racing Cam, 330 Kit 10.5:1 Wiesco, Rev box mod, Lonestar Twin Row Carrier, Renthal MX Bars, CR Clutch Perch and Lever, 250R Hood.

Suzuki Vinson

Honda CRF450R

Sponsors:
    Tag metals, One Ind., Klotz lubricants, Michelin Tires, L.A. Sleeve, Pro X Pistons, Scott USA, Works Connection,

the wiseco is a 11:1 and a mix of race gas should be used. my friend has a 11:1 and NEVER ran race gas. he beats the piss out of it and we ride in hot weather and do climbs all day. he has 4 yrs on his motor with one on the top end. he also has a all-around web cam.

the je is a 10.8:1. there basically the same but you get some people with preference.

the piston swap is not too hard but def get a manual if you have never done his before. i have no prob doing it but patiance is def sumpin you need the first time. just mark your bolts and take pictures. once you do it you 'll be like why did i ever pay that guy $$$ to do this. its really not that hard. if you have a decent understanding of mechanical things you can do it. also get a torque wrench
    when in doudt, GAS IT!

thanks for the quick reply i will try to find a manual for the 400 and while i had it a prt i was going to do the choke, grind welds and all that. and unless anyone says otherwise it will be a je 11:1 piston and a xr400 gasket to go with the pipe, filter, cam. thanks

I wouldnt even put in a cam without a high comp piston, But I guess thats just me.
    Here are all the cheap/free mods I know of

-Remove choke
    -k&n/uni/twin air filter
    -drill/take off airbox lid
    -grind welds in header
    -xr gasket
    -gearing and rear tires
    -adjusting your throttle (if it has too much slack frum tha factory)
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

O yea, If you do any racing (play or not), you might wana look into some nice tires (smaller ones), nerfs, bars, and maybe even a nice axle, a-arms and shocks depending on your budget.
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

yeah i got some 18in holeshots in the back and 19s in the front,douglas 190s with the plus 1 offset in the front, and it handles alot better. i plan to get some plus 1 arms to go with the offset on the rims and a plus 2 axel with some elka shocks. i dont want to go to wide so i can still ride in the woods some.

ok so lets get this straight here is what im getting:

cross country cam from tc
    supertrap pipe from tc
    xr 400 head gasket
    and still a little foggy on the piston YZROOST said that a wiseco 11:1 would need at least a mix of race gas i dont want to have to run race fuel.

so should i go with the je 10.8:1

(man 2 strokes were so simple)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast