Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mounting 300ex shocks on 250ex

mounting 300ex shocks on 250ex

Ok,maybe i missed the memo about the 300ex shocks not fitting into the shock mounts of the 250ex. On the top, i can see ill need some washers, or a spacer. On the bottom the shock eye is too big. Are you all just bending the tabs alittle to make it fit?
    2001 Honda 426cc,JE 11:5.1 Piston (no base gasket),DG Nerf Bars,Renthal Bars,Nac racing Clamp with kill swith,Full FMF race exhaust with power bomb header,450R front shocks,DG front bumper,SS Brake lines,Billet accessories,OMF Air scoops
    DG Seat latch,DG Battery box,
    Meijer 250r Hood
    15F,38R sun star sprockets,DID x-ring chain,Rev box,Barnett Dirt digger HD Clutch,Barnett HD Clutch spings
    K&N air fliter,+6 Timing advance key
    Hot Cam Stage 2,Port and Polish head,39mm FCR Racing Carb
    Dyno tuned

You have to add washers for it to fit. I have 2 very small washers on each side of the mounts on both the top and bottom. You also have to drill the shock mounts from a 10 milimeter hole to a 12 milimeter hole, on both the top and bottom.
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

How does your bottom eye bolt fit. My coller hits on the sides of the bracket. So either my collar is to long, ( because it does stick out a little), or my "guides" are too close, probably from me tightening them too much the first time. Do you have any pictures?
    2001 Honda 426cc,JE 11:5.1 Piston (no base gasket),DG Nerf Bars,Renthal Bars,Nac racing Clamp with kill swith,Full FMF race exhaust with power bomb header,450R front shocks,DG front bumper,SS Brake lines,Billet accessories,OMF Air scoops
    Meijer 250r Hood
    15F,38R sun star sprockets,DID x-ring chain,Rev box,Barnett Dirt digger HD Clutch,Barnett HD Clutch spings
    Dyno tuned

Oh, maybe I forgot to mention, these are the Fronts.
    Meijer 250r Hood
    Dyno tuned

are you talking about the front or rear shocks?
    2007 Yamaha YFZ 450
    -Bone stock.

Future Mods
    -ITP holeshot XCRS
    -ITP Baja's
    -Rossier Full Exhuast
    -Jetted
    -K and N
    -Bomb Squad Graphics
    -IMS/Roll design bumper
    -IMS/roll design nerfs

wow.. i need a job

Oh, I thought you were talking about the rear shock, from what I hear the front shocks dont work on 250ex's, only recons
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

I could of swore that the 300ex shocks will fit all around with washers. Does no one on here have that shock set-up. I thought there was because everyone says its the best "cheap" upgrade. If your not using the 300ex shocks, then what is everyone doing for budget shocks?
    Meijer 250r Hood
    Dyno tuned

yea i had to bend mine out when installing my elkas the factory overtightens them
    Brad Harrell #927
    www.oxcracing.com

08 yz250f

On the 250ex, you can only do the rear shock swap. On the Recon, you can do all around. The mounts must be different.
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

Heres my thought. I know the rear will bolt up just like every one says. On the front, the shock lengths are the same. So the geometry should not change through the shock stroke. The width is thinner on the top of the 300, so all you woul dhave to do is add washers. On the bottom, the shock mount is the same width, however the crush sleeve is wider then the stock mounts. So I can either mill down about .010 on the crush sleeve to make it a hair wider then the shock, or mill it a little more and make it just as wide. This is how the 250 shocks are, which made me scratch my head, as to how the crush sleeve/pivot point of the shocks. Now if you do this, and maybe bend the tabs just alittle they should fit as long as the tabs are bent enough to accomodate for the diameter of the new shock. These should be the same. No, im guessing by the results no one has done this. And I ask why??????? Is the ride worse than the stock non adjustable shocks, or does no one want to put that much effert into it.
    Meijer 250r Hood
    Dyno tuned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast