Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 440EX & 16 tooth REVIEW

440EX & 16 tooth REVIEW

I drove my 440EX with the 16 tooth front sprocket for the first time today.

My riding partner drives a DS650 with complete exhaust system, Stage II K & N filter, and ignition box.

We found a nice 50 yard stretch of flat hard packed clay to stage some drag races to see how this 440 runs with the DS.

We made the run 5 times and both started in 2nd gear for each launch. To give you and idea of the speeds we achieved, the 440 had just reved out 3rd gear by the end of each race.

Dead even on all 5 races!! Wohooo.

Kudos to White Brothers.

With any luck, this 440 will be able to hang with the DS in 4th and 5th gears but I would guess not. This is a formidible challenge for these are the gears that bike weight means less and HP means more and thats stacking the deck against the 440... so we'll see.

Steve.
    TRX440EX: Ross 11.2:1 piston, Advanced Sleeve-sleeve, Hotcams Stage 2 cam, P&P head with port matched intake and 3 angle valve job, Uni filter, White Brothers Pro-Meg exhaust and rev Box, stock carb w/choke removed 172 main, 42 pilot, needle on 4th clip (no air box lid), OMF scoops, Elka shocks

04' YFZ450S: HMF exhaust, cam mod, Alba Pro-flow w/K&N

what size tires on the 400ex?

20X10X9 Bandit XC's in the rear
    21X7X10 Bandit XC's in the front

Why?
    TRX440EX: Ross 11.2:1 piston, Advanced Sleeve-sleeve, Hotcams Stage 2 cam, P&P head with port matched intake and 3 angle valve job, Uni filter, White Brothers Pro-Meg exhaust and rev Box, stock carb w/choke removed 172 main, 42 pilot, needle on 4th clip (no air box lid), OMF scoops, Elka shocks

04' YFZ450S: HMF exhaust, cam mod, Alba Pro-flow w/K&N

Lightbulb Tires

I had bandits on the rear of my 2002 400EX and took them off this past friday. I put on the new Shredder XC tires. OMFG the bike rips. The bandits are so much heavier than the shredders. The bike has so much more power with the lighter tires. I didn't believe my friends telling me it would run faster with lighter tires till I did it myself. Give a try with a friends tires, you will see.

Get you some better rear tires and out the 15t back on,,,,you will beat him every time!!! Gearing for drag racing is just like it is for cars,,,lower is better,,,,,With my 416 there were 3 DS 650's that raced with me,,,,2 were stock and one had a cam,pipe, jet kit,,,,,I beat all of them!!!! Some say thats impossible, but its true!!
    Speed is 95% rider and 5% bike, better make that 5% count!

2000 TC 505EX Complete TC Motor and everything else you can imagine and more!!

gearing

i disagreee in the gearing theory of yours Chad. The higher the gearing you can pull without bogging and stuff like that will be faster. Each gear will have a higher top speed and thus faster. The higher gearing may even allow for one less shift in the drag race. For instance, on our 350R we run 15/38 gearing with 21" 9 paddle haulers. Trust me, if you can pull the extra gearing the bike will be faster in every gear and allow you to stretch a couple of bike lenghts on a lower geared equal bike.

Sandtrix,
    how long have you been drag racing??? Thats all I do and have for a long time!!! If your racing a 1\4 mile or a mile then higher gearing will be better,,,in the conventional 300ft drag races that i run in,,lower gears are better!! One less shift in a drag race isnt good,,,if your not in 5th at the end of the 300ft strip then your geared too high,,,If your geared low then a have a pull into the next gear, if your geared too high you have to rev it out! I watch this all day long,,,get a 400EX(bone stock) with stock gearing,,,then get another with a 14t up front(equal riders) and see who wins the race,,,the 14t will all day long!!! A motorized ATV is just like a car in a drag race...lower gears are better!!!

Bean is offline I am the "infamous" 440..
    i agree with chad, on a 300fter, a lower geared equal bike will win, cause it gets goin alot faster, and the track is shorter, but on a longer track, that low geared bike wont do much
    AIM IM: HybridMonster21@aol.com
    Email: HybridMonster2@aol.com

District 18, # 5

http://www.merrellextreme.com
    http://www.rathracing.com
    http://www.wildhare.cjb.net
    http://www.Rriders.com

1986/88/89/03 250R

Originally posted by Bean
    i agree with chad, on a 300fter, a lower geared equal bike will win, cause it gets goin alot faster, and the track is shorter, but on a longer track, that low geared bike wont do much
    Exactly!! I dont know many drag strips that are more than 300ft!!! Not where there are organized races!!! You have to find that happy medium with gearing,,not too high not too low, with a 400EX that happy medium is stock gearing!!!!!

Both right

I think your both right, in a short drag a lower geared bike has a better chance but in a longer drag a bike that can gear up and pull a higher gear has the better shot. I have tried both ways on all my bike and now on my raptor on short drags I run 1 tooth lower front and on the ln the long drags where you get into 5th I run stock gearing. JMO

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast