Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My dad and I were talking.....

My dad and I were talking.....

My dad and I were talking today during nascar about his Cdale. Also talking about racing and stuff.

Just figured I would throw this out there.....My belief is Cdale came out way before its time. When it came out it was too high priced, technology was way to advanced for the quad world. Also hand some hiccups.

Seems like to me if Cdale would come out NOW they would be booming or atleast doing good. The prices would be right around everyone elses, the technology is still advanced but not so mucht o scare ppl.

I mean everyone is making a big deal of the KFX450 being aluminum framed Cdale had that 5 years ago
    V-Twin King Quad

Yes very true, there are many other contributing reasons as to why they went out... But one thing is for sure, if they were still going today, it would be the greatest thing thats happened to this sport, Yam, Hon, Suz, and Kaw would have to be constantly changing things year after year improving their quads. It would make for better all around machines from every company...
    #76 2002 Cannondale
    DirtSurfers
    Iowa OHV
    IATVHSS

Well... they are still technically out... They should look at factory backing and see about sponsoring some pro riders... that would probably be the biggest sales booster of all.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

If cdale somehow made a comeback (not ATK even though there bikes are nice theres just not enough support or dealers around) my honda would be gone and a silver moto would be in my garage
    NEATV-MX #51.
    06 Walsh/LSR/Axis 450R - Gone
    07 Walsh/JB/PEP 450R - Gone
    07 Gibson/JB/PEP 450R - Gone

Originally posted by 400exrider707
    Well... they are still technically out... They should look at factory backing and see about sponsoring some pro riders... that would probably be the biggest sales booster of all.
    I thought they did sponsor one guy and he won his first or second race. Wasn't it jeff from tire balls?

Anyways I don't think they have the money to do that.
    V-Twin King Quad

Well change doesnt come easy. Its kind of wierd how the atv industry is so absurdly slow to accept change. There are quads still in production today that were rehashed designs back in the 80's. Cripes atv's and lawn mowers are about the only engines left still using mostly carbs. It is nice to see the japs stepping up to technology that should have been here 15 years ago.

Having owned a Cannondale and even getting a tour of the mfg facility(long story). They were both ahead of the times yet also behind the times.

Personally, I credit C'dale for getting the ball rolling. You can ALL thank them for the YFZ, TRX, LTZ, etc.

Some Firsts, all of which were STOCK on the Moto:
    Aluminum Frame
    Fuel Injection
    Extended Arms
    Extended Axle
    20F/18R tires
    Battery mtd low in frame for low CG
    Gripper Seat
    aftermarket (TAG) bars
    nerf bars
    aftermarket Shocks with Rezzy's

All for only $12k, you could go out and whoop some @$$.

Where they failed was in the R&D department. Motor design was too "advanced" yet not refined enough to make it durable. Combine that with some bad parts from their vendor(cranks) and you have alot of unhappy customers. Poor fuel injection system. I had major problems with that. UGLY!

They were on the right track, but just like alot of things, the pressure was on to get things released and that resulted in alot of errors/corner cutting.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Completely agree with everything people have said. They are still the best fit and finish of parts for a factory bike. Frames? Works of art..swingarms are nearly indestructable, stems made by Arens, and axles from LSR....everything on them chassis wise is far better than what the jap bikes are currently manufacturing. I challenge anyone to refute that statement.

Cannondale may very well would still be in business today if they farmed out the motor R&D to a company well versed in building engines or had an endless supply of cash. They should have stuck to their core competency which always was welding aluminum and building great chassis components.

The people left with these bikes are for the most part die hard cannondale lunatics, and most of the old issues with them have been fixed. The motor is probably one of the best designs out there still and now that the reliability issues have been taken care of they are better than ever. You just need to be a good mechanic and want to learn their quirks
    2003 Walsh MX Cannondale
    2002 MX Cannondale
    2002 XC Cannondale
    1986 Honda ATC250R - Bone Stock
    1985 Honda ATC250SX - Bone Stock
    2000 Custom Softail..230 rear tire+96 inches of S&S =

Your exactly right about that 2000ex. I unfortunately am not a great mechanic. I was aware of the quirks but my pocket book got tired.

I was having major FI issues with my quad. It wouldn't run below 40*F. I did alot of *****ing and the regional sales rep said to just bring it to the factory, they would work on it and also give me a tour. This was about 2 months before they went under. I even got a new set of front plastics with graphics out of them.

The place was really cool. It was frightening to see this large crate (4'x4'x5'deep) with junked engine parts in it though!!!. Everyone was really nice and they had excellent customer service. It's a real shame that things didn't work out better.

Here is/was mine:
    God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast