Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any gain in removing airbox?

Any gain in removing airbox?

Ok, so you see my setup, now im thinking of adding the hot cams stage 2 and removing my airbox. Would it hurt me more if i took the airbox off, vs leaving the lid off and drilling holes in the box or adding scoops to the airbox. I have heard that if you take the snorkel plug out or take the box off it disturbs the air velocity around the air filter. Or if i cut the bottom off and left the lid off it would at least trap air around the filter instead of letting air pass around the filter and relieing on the filter to pull the air in. Thanks
    2001 Honda 426cc,JE 11:5.1 Piston (no base gasket),DG Nerf Bars,Renthal Bars,Nac racing Clamp with kill swith,Full FMF race exhaust with power bomb header,450R front shocks,DG front bumper,SS Brake lines,Billet accessories,OMF Air scoops
    DG Seat latch,DG Battery box,
    Meijer 250r Hood
    15F,38R sun star sprockets,DID x-ring chain,Rev box,Barnett Dirt digger HD Clutch,Barnett HD Clutch spings
    K&N air fliter,+6 Timing advance key
    Hot Cam Stage 2,Port and Polish head,39mm FCR Racing Carb
    Dyno tuned

my logic is have you ever stuck your head out the window doing 70 down the freeway? is it easy to breathe like that?
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

250r, that is probably the best analogy I have ever heard. So im guessing you are suggesting that I leave the airbox on. Now for step 2, should I put hole in the side or should I force air into the box via air scoops or something?
    2001 Honda 426cc,JE 11:5.1 Piston (no base gasket),DG Nerf Bars,Renthal Bars,Nac racing Clamp with kill swith,Full FMF race exhaust with power bomb header,450R front shocks,DG front bumper,SS Brake lines,Billet accessories,OMF Air scoops
    Meijer 250r Hood
    15F,38R sun star sprockets,DID x-ring chain,Rev box,Barnett Dirt digger HD Clutch,Barnett HD Clutch spings
    Dyno tuned

if you leave the lid off, and youve already got the K&N, i dont think you will see much if any gain by doing anything else...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

you will definitely see a gain by taking the lid off, or the whole box off. analogies, although clever, aren't always true. What is true is that people have seen HP gains on dyno's by doing these things. Look at every pro bike out there, no airbox at all, their engine builders KNOW, through experience, what they are doing. I've been told by several engine builders and buy Curtis Sparks himself that they even see HP gains when the seat is off. Here's an analogy for you since you like them, put a piece of plastic right up against your lips and try to suck in as hard as you can, then try to suck in open air. The more free space around that filter, the better
    CFRacing

Hunter Haswell #20

Aston Haswell #22

Originally posted by One_Bad_400
    you will definitely see a gain by taking the lid off, or the whole box off. analogies, although clever, aren't always true. What is true is that people have seen HP gains on dyno's by doing these things. Look at every pro bike out there, no airbox at all, their engine builders KNOW, through experience, what they are doing. I've been told by several engine builders and buy Curtis Sparks himself that they even see HP gains when the seat is off. Here's an analogy for you since you like them, put a piece of plastic right up against your lips and try to suck in as hard as you can, then try to suck in open air. The more free space around that filter, the better
    i see what youre saying... yes and no...

if you took your seat off of your bike and stuck it on your mouth, you would have a problem sucking in air... but move it away from your mouth an inch and you would have no problem whatsoever...

and the dyno does not always translate to real life... and from everybody i have heard, taking away the airbox takes away from your bottom to mid range...

i dont think the difference is too much to argue either way...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

here's another way to think about it...more gas and air into the bike means more power, right? Hence, HIGHER flow air filters are better, HIGHER flow port jobs are better, a supercharger, blower, turbo FORCE air into the engine and create more power. Take the airbox off your bike, you'll have to put a bigger jet in, which is for more gas, the keep the air/fuel ratio correct, since you're now getting more air.
    CFRacing

Hunter Haswell #20

Aston Haswell #22

fci

this is with a FCI intake............alittle more power with the box ON
    IF you remove the box your taking away the vacum the box creates.......
    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ir-boxtest.jpg
    471 stomper

the chart makes sense. I like to see results.
    Meijer 250r Hood
    Dyno tuned

buck naked r, 1bad 400 is right about the box off, the more air and fuel you stick in, the more power you make

you guys go out and buy some bigger jets which are only a few bucks and pull the lid off and if you have the a/f ratio rite you should feel a bit more power and if you dont go back to the way it was before and it would be worth 6 bucks just to find out if you like it or not

go ahead and give it a shot
    Trx 450R - BACK IN ACTION!!!

*2005 CRF450R*
    Pro-Action Suspension
    Pro-Circuit Ti-4 Full System
    Acerbis Hand Guards
    Hot Cam Stage 2
    Hotrods Crank
    JE 12.5:1 Piston

2000 Mustang GT
    WAY too much to list, and still too slow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast