Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunters- looking for some gun and scope advice

Hunters- looking for some gun and scope advice

Ok, I am looking for a new gun. First- the scopes I am looking at are the Leupold VX3 3.5-10 40mm, and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 40mm. I am going to Cabelas Saturday to look at them, but I would like some opinions. The Zeiss is actually $70 cheaper than the Leupold.

Next the gun. I am pretty much settled on a Remington Model 7 7mm short action ultra mag. Does anyone own one, or know someone that has one? I would just like some opinions on that too.
    89 MX 250r- Sold... quadless....

2001 Silverado 2500HD- 33's, duals, intake, ect...

All my rifles and muzzleloaders wear Leupold scopes. My current deer rifle is a Ruger Mark II in 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10. I have heard good things about Zeiss but I won't buy anything but Leupold. As for gun and caliber, I have never like the Model 7's, too short and whippy (a lot depends on how you hunt, I hunt from a tree stand and can have shots out to 400 yards) I'm more of a fan of the winchester short mag rounds. If I were you I'd get a Savage in 7mm win short mag. Savage guns are less expensive but the few I own all shoot real tight groups.
    #913 BK Performance XC 450R. . . LSR, Laeger, Hiper, Precision, Maxxis, PRM, HMF, Custom Axis, Clarke, Wiseco . . .

spend ur money on the scope thats where its at. i would get at least a 50mm objective and savage makes good firearms and r fairly inexpensive.i been wanting the ziess 3-12x56($1,200),but thats where my focus would be,on the scope. good luck.
    05' 400ex
    hot cam
    k&n
    jet kit
    black itp wheels
    razr fronts 21"
    holeshot hd rear 20"
    lowered front & rear
    ac black bumper
    hmf black chrome pipe
    fmf header
    stock swingarm extended 3"
    13/39 gears
    stainless brake lines fr/rr
    pro taper bars
    cluster relocated
    maier carbon fiber hood
    asv levers (red)

I don't see much of a need for a 50mm. I've shot 30's, 40's, and 50's, and I can honestlly say that I can't notice a big enough distance from 40 to 50 to justify spending so much on a scope.
    As for a savage-- I don't like their guns at all. Right now I have a pre 1964 Winchester Model 70 .270. Its a hell of a gun, but I just don't want it to get beat up at all, and I would like a little more take down power. I will haveto shoot my friends model 7 .300 SAUM again. I loved it the first time I threw it up and shot. I'm not as much of a fan of my dad's 300 ultra in a Browning a-bolt with a 26 inch barrel. The model 7 is light, easy to carry, easy to steady freehand, and carries a big punch in a 7mm SAUM. This deer season I had shots anywhere from 10 yards all the way up to 300 yards, and I couldnt even get a shot off in the thick woods on the 10 yard one, because I couldnt throw my .270 up fast enough, and I couldnt find it in my little 30mm Redfield I tube.
    89 MX 250r- Sold... quadless....

2001 Silverado 2500HD- 33's, duals, intake, ect...

I agree on the objective, 40 is plenty big. The bigger objectives have to have high or super high rings and to me don't feel right when the gun is mounted. As for gun that is up to you, I have never been a fan of the Model Sevens, shot quite a few and was not impressed at all with the comfort or accuracy, although the magnums have a 22" barrel which might help. I would buy a WSM caliber over a SAUM. I just think the WSM are more popular (easier to find ammo) and they will be around longer. Their have been a ton of good calibers that have disappered over the years. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide!
    #913 BK Performance XC 450R. . . LSR, Laeger, Hiper, Precision, Maxxis, PRM, HMF, Custom Axis, Clarke, Wiseco . . .

I would definitely go with the Leupold scope. By far one of the best out there.

I have a Remington 700 PSS (Police Special Sniper 7.62mm) with the Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm Long Range scope and bipods. It's a great weapon. I've hit 12 inch targets at 1200 yards consistantly with match ammo. with the variable power scope you can shoot like 25 yards to 1500 (if your weapons MOA will allow you to do it accurately).

The snipers that I talked to in Iraq recommended this rifle because it is what the Army M-24 sniper rifle is based off of, and one of the most popular for law enforcement. Bottom line, great gun. The scope makes the gun.
    SOLD - '99 400ex - Hotcam Stage 2 | Cometic | HD studs | K&N | 3qt oil tank | Stainless Scoops w/hp adding stickers | White Bros air box vents | White Bros painted/wrapped E-series | 450r front shocks | Renthal | Moose levers | Acerbis | AC Pro-Pegs | Pro Armor Frame/A-Arm skids, Bullhorn style bumper | Slashers | Razr II's | White Bros e-brake block off | relocated battery in air box | upgraded lights | hide-away license plate. Much more to come.

-If you can read this thank a teacher, because it's in English, thank a soldier.

swarovski...my dads got a VX3 on his 7mm and its an awesome scope, the only downfall is that it has thick cross hairs. hes planning on trading in his VX3 for a swarovski.
    2000 Yamaha YZ125- White Plastics,UNI Air Filter, Pro Taper Bars
    1998 Yamaha Mountain Max 700- Vforce Reeds, Triple pipes and Stingers
    2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 4x4- Fiberglass Roll Pan, Sony MEX BT5001 Head Unit, 12" Alpine type r, Hifonics Titan 1500W amp

Leupold....all i use

i agree 110%, spend the money on the scope
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

im prolly going to be investng in a .243 remington lowest caliber rifle you can shoot a deer with in ct. and its very lightweight and good looking.
    02 honda recon(sold and missed)

03 400ex sold

04 honda foreman 27' super swampers
    04 f350 diseal super duty crew cab
    96 blazer 4.3l

Tyler

AIM- ferrari1569

Re: Hunters- looking for some gun and scope advice

Originally posted by hondardr4life
    Ok, I am looking for a new gun. First- the scopes I am looking at are the Leupold VX3 3.5-10 40mm, and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 40mm. I am going to Cabelas Saturday to look at them, but I would like some opinions. The Zeiss is actually $70 cheaper than the Leupold.

Next the gun. I am pretty much settled on a Remington Model 7 7mm short action ultra mag. Does anyone own one, or know someone that has one? I would just like some opinions on that too.
    you have an amazing gun choice

as far as the scopes you cant go wrong with the leupold or the zeiss.... but if you go with zeiss.... spend the extra 100 bucks and get the conquest 3-9x50. trust me its worth it. my dad has the 3-9x50 on his and its an amazing scope. the 3-9x40 isnt a bad choice either, but i just like how the 3-9x50 is bigger, and has the bigger cross hair. hope this helps.

oh and i know a few people on here said 50mm isnt needed, and it may not be in some cases, but i guess im just used to them since i've had 3-9x50 scopes on all my guns. either way your not gonna go wrong on your scope choice.
    2004 Yamaha Bruin 350

When the funding is available, YFZ450R!!

Originally posted by troutman561
    Wiping forwards get poo on your balls.. no good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast